-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Newguy:<BR><B>I got a 30-06 set up up from Pat. M70 Winchester, 4X leupold, Warne rings and bases, with Ashley ghost ring back up sights. Of course I bought new dies and I am going to try out the Barnes X bullets. I am looking for a donor M70 action for a 375. You guys have corrupted me.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Newguy, I can save you a lot of time, I bought a Remington Classic 700 BDL last year chambered for the 375 H&H, just to see what I have been missing, and I shot it twice and found out. The rifle looks like new only it has a trigger job, bedded, barrel floated, the scope rings lapped. No scope, I took the rings off and shot it with open sights, put the rings back on and put rifle up. Anyone interested can e-mail me and we can talk. I sold pumpgun a rifle and he can be my reference. -- no<BR>

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
GB1

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul, <P>I didn't realize you were a fellow Coastie! I'm a AMT1 down here in Sitka. I was stationed at Kodiak for 6 years also. Have you checked out the recruiting billet up in Anchorage? I'm starting to eye-ball that one for next year! What are ya doing in Kenai? <P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BW,<P> I forgot about that recruiter job!!! I'm currently a MK2 Just lateraled over from DC2. Hoping to get back up here soon but it looks like I'm going to a boat next a 210 the Diligence out of Wilmington, NC. Don't want to but to make rank I have to get the sea time. I just went over 6 in December and I hope to be a first before 8 1/2. That's the plan but plans often change.<P> Kenai is a MSD. It's a 5 man detachment. been here 4 years and I love it but I have to leave.<P> Sitka has to have some great black bear hunting!<P> Good hunting <P> Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul,<P>Well, your close about the black bear hunting. There's good black bear hunting down on a few of the islands south of here (Kupreanof, Kuiu, Prince of Wales, etc). But on Baranof (where Sitka is) there are only Brown bears. If you remember that the ABC islands (Admiralty, Baranof, and Chichagof) along with Kruzof, are the islands with brown bears, then all the others have black bears. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, as bears can swim. ;-) Seems that black and brown bears don't co-exist well together on islands. They do okay on the mainland though. Samething with Moose and Deer. I heard from a ADF&G guy that the deer have somekind of brain worm that kills moose.<P>I feel very fortunate that the Guard decided not to put the Jayhawks on the back of 270's! They tried, and the helo just barely fit. But I guess they figured it wasn't worth it. So until they buy bigger Cutters, I'm safe from the boat world!<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick - Don't know if you Will find this interesting but I just got a "new" (1970's)Ruger super bearcat. In the box about 90 percent. (has spin marks on the cylinder)<P>My hunting partner did better(much better). A pre 64 Winchester in 220 Swift. Never been shot, has not had a scope mounted on it (yet) It is in new condition but did not have the box. He gave $1700. <P>

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

757 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Paul,<P>Sea time can be tough, but you'll come away with tons of fond memories when it's over. Plus the berthings better the higher up the chain you go! smile 757<P>p.s. A-gang rules!

Pursue Perfection

Capture Excellence
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
757<P> I love it underway, My wife wont! My first unit was the CGC Polar Sea I was in Turbine gang. My guess is that I will be in A gang on the Diligence.<P> My main concern will be finding a good place to hunt when I get there as well as a good rifle range.<P> Paul

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Does trying to get the better half to buy you a new shotgun count? Toons

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You guys are spoooiled! All I got since Xmas,is a Rem700VS 22-250,700BDL S/S 7-08(in a trade),and the 25-06Ackley built. I could have very much used the 7-08VS,the Bearcat,NO's 375,and a jillion others. But my 8 1/2mo pregnant Wife,laid down the law. So I get nothing new,for a spell. You boys have very nice tastes,in "toys"......

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe that I forgot but I did.<P> For Christmas my father bought me a Buris Black Diamond 3-12 for my 264WM. Talk about an ingrate I couldn't even remember my dad getting me something sooo cool!!<P>Paul

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<B>Leica Trinovid BA 8x32</B>. I just received them last week!! Mail ordered them from a camera shop in Midland, Michigan. Real nice guy--not like Pat at all. LOL! I love my new binos! Two years of saving my allowance. I couldn't be happier.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I recently ordered a "throwing tomahawk" from Cabelas. I am planning to practice and then maybe take up scalping. Does anyone know what the headhunters are paying these days?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thunder: Pays not good but I hear its "all you can eat". (grin)<P>tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got excited and layed away a new Remington ss/laminate.300 WM. When Tex finally sends me the balance of the coin for the rifle I sold him, I will get the .300 out of hock. All this horse trading sure makes a feller ansy...doesn't it Tex? My trigger finger sure needs some ointment. Tex are you as excited as I am? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Only "new" thing I've gotten is a Win '94 Big Bore in 375 that I had given to me. Don't have a clue what I'm going to do with it yet. It's a Top Eject model. I didn't have a '94 , not even a 30-30 so maybe I'll just hang on to it.Everyone needs at least one '94 Winchester. You guys and your 375 H&H's have gotten me thinking again! I turned down a decent deal on a SS M700 375 last year, shoulda done it!

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thunderstick,I went through the knife/axe throwing stage. It was in a Log Camp,many moons ago. I ordered a Tuahati(sp?) Competition throwing axe,from Bailey's. Then the usual assortment of Hibben designed throwers. I cut a large round off a log and placed it in the hallway,of the Cutter's Bunkhouse. It was the nightly ritual after chow. Couldn't throw the axe indoors,had a larger round,outside the bunkhouse. I actually got fairly good(I thought). I'm sure guys from that camp,are still telling THOSE stories. Actually,several other guy's enjoyed it and ordered throwing knives as well. Never got any scalping practice in,though at the time,there were several candidates on my "Practice List"(grin)..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I didn't get my self anything new lately but I did get my sweetie the Ruger M77-MKII in 308 w/ B+L 3200 that I told Stick about ont he ex-board {kinda like ex-wife,hehe). As a matter of fact I just got it mack from getting it cut to fit her and had almost 1/2 pound removed and installed a Decelerator. I am not too far off from getting my 338-06 in pre-64/Douglas/McMillan that will be done soon. Can you say mmmmmmmmmm? [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>"The only thing to fear is fear itself"

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Stick, Now if you expand this topic from "looky what I got!" to "golly I wish I had a......." I'm sure business would pick up. While I'm here "I wish I had" a 7-08, a 22-250 Ackley and my mdl 52 project finished.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a NalPak Tuffpak here about 2-3 weeks ago.<P>Got a new Ruger Blackhawk 5 �� in .45 Colt just this past Saturday. I�m really enamored of that caliber. Punches harder than my .41 with less boom and can be loaded to punch just about as hard as a .44 with lots less boom and bite. Now why wasn�t I satisfied with the 4 5/8� .45 Blackhawk I already had? Hmmm, must be because I have a holster for a 5 �� Blackhawk, so of course had to get a gun to fit it!<P>Now, last but definitely not least, drum roll and fanfare of trumpets please�.<P>After exactly one long year my new LEFT HAND Stainless Steel Winchester Custom Shop Model 70 in .375 H&H Magnum is all ready! Yeehaaawwww! Leslee called on Thursday and my FFL dealer had his credit card info to her in about an hour. It is being sent 2nd day air so should get here Tuesday or Wednesday. Ordered a set of Talley rings and bases for it which should get here tomorrow as well. <P>Oh, yeah, I also was appointed Ambassador to South Africa, won the Powerball lottery and went on another date with Cindy Crawford (you should see where her OTHER beauty mark is), but that�s all pretty trivial compared to that new Winchester!<BR>

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, as you know I make all the gun shows and here recently I have a AMT 45 Skipper, (old style, Colt Commander, with adjustable sights, poormans Gold Cup), a S&W 629, 44 mag Mountain Gun 4", a Remington 700 Classic BDL 35 Whelen, shoots like a dream. (Shut up Tex). It's been raining here almost constantly and the dirt pit where I shoot is deep mud. More rain in forecast,UGGG! -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 3,284 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.