Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Anybody care to share their experiences chucking tiny marabou jigs on an ultra lite rod for trout in streams/rivers? I'm thinking the equivalent of a wooly bugger or similar would/should be pretty deadly and useful where streams are pretty overgrown, making fly casting a "challenge".

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
never done it for trout but such a setup was killer on hammer-handle northerns where a irrigation ditch drained into the river....had a blast that day though nothing caught we eatting size let along a monster....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Light marabou jigs are a killer on trout.

I like 1/8 oz black and yellow best.

1/4 work great in deeper water.

I tie my own but you can buy some really good jigs here:

http://www.kitstackle.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is becomming my favorite way to fish for trout in lakes! I use a 7'2 Loomis GL2 Ultralight Trout Jig rod. 4# fluorocarbon line and 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs. I'm using an olive/black head woolybugger, a brown woolybugger and a chartreuse gamikatsu 1/16oz jig head with a 1 1/12 inch split body rubber bug.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, a marabou jig in black, brown, olive -- or (secret weapon) pink. Really.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the sea-run cutthroat follow the salmon up the river in the late summer, a peach colored jig under a float with or without a small bit of shrimp can be really killer.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Sounds like I need to add this to my bag of tricks, and hang on if decent smallmouth in one of the local lakes grabs one!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How about River Smallies, same resultz???

Last edited by LouisB; 02/13/13.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, trout and smallmouth with 1/32-1/16-1/8 oz brown black or olive, they are killers.

I tie trout specific jigs 1/64 down to 1/100 oz. and mimick my favorite nymph and scud patterns. They get down quick when fished under a float, or you can add lead wire to the hook for more wight before tieing the jig , and drift/jig them with no float.

Tie a few in drab colors and a few in bright colors, and you'll have the bases covered. Work good on panfish also.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rod length is your friend,when fishing maribou,whether twitching or in conjunction with a float(hint). Make mine a 9'6" Loomis 1141S(4-8lb UL) and I prefer the GL3 version,though I slum a GLX too. I think highly of the 2500 Series Stradics,but prefer the 3000's handle paddle,which delves into the subjective realm. Have zero qualm with the 2500 subduing 20# + Steelhead.

The jigs cited in the above link are dog schit,Mark's stuff is far and away the best on the Planet and that in regards to materials,approach and craftsmanship(re-hint). Mark Rink Further,he'll happily tie whatever notion you relate to him or will sell you the guts,to cut your own throat. Much to be said for beads and a tail('nother hint). Have caught quite a few 36"+ Steelhead on his Micro's,but tend to default to his "smalls" as a mainstay and they are simply sinister,when paired with the new 60 degree Matzuo hook and they are 1/16-esque in relative sizing

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/jan11RRA.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DADS4996.jpg[/img]

When I tie with his components,I add Flashabou and am a believer in both gold and silver(I often meld as well). In actuality,my now 12yr old whipped these up,last Spring and they fish well.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_3424.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_3512.jpg[/img]

The added rod length and the 60 degree Matzuo are a very forgiving means of counting coup. You can get away with things that lesser systems will not permit,namely in coaxing lots of slack...so as to rifle a hard to reach drift. The added length helps to mend,as a more traditional means of staying in synch,but I'll happily pay slack and go sloppy to reach a drift I can't otherwise obtain. It's a very effective means to stay stealthy/slippery and outta da water(sneakin'/peekin' the shadows),so as to keep all advantages in one's hip pocket.

Caught 50+ Cutts and Rainbows this morning on Maribou Jigs,trying to work newfound seams due last night's deluge. It prolly bordered on fun,even with the wind/rain blowing 60mph.

Time to dry waders,raincoats and tie up more Riggin' for the AM.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Forgive my jig fishing ignorance, BUT . . .

What kind of water does on fish with these jigs?

How does one actually fish it?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boxer is using the jigs on steelhead in streams under a float. Its a really effective way of getting into fish. You find good "bobber/jig" water, adjust the float for depth to keep the jig 12 to 18 inches off the bottom. As much as non flea-flickers will hate to admit it, you kind of fish the rig like a nymph under an indicator when fly fishing. You mend your line and try to keep a natural drift. A long rod, 9 to 11 feet or more, will keep your main line off the water and allow you to control your drift.

In lakes, you can fish jigs several different ways depending on where the fish are holding and what they are eating. If the trout are cruising the bank during a hatch or pushing baitfish, I'll tie the jig to my mainline and fish much like you would if you were fishing for bass. If the bait is minnows, I swim the jig with full contact during the retrieve. If the trout are picking up invertebrates or nymphs, I'll cast toward the bank and let the jig go to the bottom on a slack line and watch for changes in direction or sinking rate. If I see something strange, I set the hook. Otherwise, raise the rod tip and then let the jig fall on a slack line. Keep an eye on your line as you might not feel the bite.

If trout are suspended over structure or a creek channel, you can try and get an idea of the shape of the structure and rig accordingly. If its a creek channel or sharp break, you rig your jig for the correct depth under a float and cast parallel to the structure and slowly work it back to your boat. If its more isolated structure, you can vertical jig without a float.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dan360
Boxer is using the jigs on steelhead in streams under a float. Its a really effective way of getting into fish.

It works in the east for big brookies and landlocked salmon also.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.