Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Russ keep us posted. That hooded jacket looks awesome. Just haven't pulled the trigger.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use and really like my REI Revelcloud.

Essentially the same as the Patagonia at a much cheaper price.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find the north Face Redpoint jacket to be the warmest of the Primaloft jackets by a fair bit... of course it's heavier too using 100+ gram Primaloft rather than the lighter 60-ish gram stuff.

I just don't find the micro primaloft jackets to be of much value in the fall.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Based on the other layers I use (Arctic Shield outer layer and Smart Wool base layers), my GSX Core Jacket w/ScentLok (and pants) from Gander Mountain works best for me. For the way I hunt (actively stalking) for deer and elk, the GSX Adaptive Layering System just works well. The jacket and pants repel wind and rain. I don't know much about the ScentLok but it is part of the system and certainly doesn't detract from the package. While I can't say it is the best, the pants and jacket are very comfortable and are quiet and are reasonably priced.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Brad
I find the north Face Redpoint jacket to be the warmest of the Primaloft jackets by a fair bit... of course it's heavier too using 100+ gram Primaloft rather than the lighter 60-ish gram stuff.

Always interesting how things that work for one person don't for others. I seldom need anything warmer than a Mont-Bell Thermawrap unless its well below zero. When I do, I go for my Feathered Friends Helios jacket if I don't want a hood or my Rab Neutrino if I want a hood. Usually at those temperatures, keeping dry isn't as much of an issue (unless you fall into the creek like AL smile

Ed T

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
True, in cold conditions, around 0*F and below, I much prefer a layer of 140-150 Merino, then, maybe a second layer of Merino and then a good down jacket, such as my Egge, a Swiss "expedition parka" that has kept me warm at -41*.

My current picks for down are the Chilco Sweater and Kokanee Parka from Westcomb and the Valandre jacket which is sold only in a "Kelly Green" shade and has some exciting features.

But, for most hunting in BC, PL is it and I layer mine to suit the weather.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Always interesting how things that work for one person don't for others. I seldom need anything warmer than a Mont-Bell Thermawrap unless its well below zero. When I do, I go for my Feathered Friends Helios jacket if I don't want a hood or my Rab Neutrino if I want a hood. Usually at those temperatures, keeping dry isn't as much of an issue (unless you fall into the creek like AL smile

Ed, when hunting I never wear an insulated jacket unless I stop to glass, so perhaps that's our difference.

The most I ever wear hunting (down to -30F) is a midweight zip Turtleneck, 100 Wt zip Turtleneck and light stretch jacket. Insulated jacket ONLY comes out for sitting and glassing, a mug-up, or in camp. Generally I'm just in the midweight t-neck or sometimes the stretch jacket.

When it's time to pull out quilted insulation, I typically want something far warmer than the usual micro-quilted jacket.

Here I am a -24*F in just those layers I described:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Montbell Thermawrap. IMHO, there's nothing not to like. Warm, light, packable. You can get with hood or without. And can often be found on sale or lightly used for well under $100.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Ed, when hunting I never wear an insulated jacket unless I stop to glass, so perhaps that's our difference.

The most I ever wear hunting (down to -30F) is a midweight zip Turtleneck, 100 Wt zip Turtleneck and light stretch jacket. Insulated jacket ONLY comes out for sitting and glassing, a mug-up, or in camp. Generally I'm just in the midweight t-neck or sometimes the stretch jacket.

When it's time to pull out quilted insulation, I typically want something far warmer than the usual micro-quilted jacket.

Here I am a -24*F in just those layers I described:

[Linked Image]

Brad,

I go very similar to you, except I opt for a Micro or Lightweight Merino base layer followed by either a softshell or an ancient Moonstone Moonlite fleece. The Thermawrap comes out, like you only when inactive.

At 24F below, I'd probably be packing down, however.

Ed T

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Brad, pretty "nippy" temps., don't your ears get a mite friz with no covering?

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have both Montbell Thermawrap and Kuiu Spindrift. I like the Thermawrap better if worn as a midlayer, like the Spindrift better if I am wearing as an outer layer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ed,
I know it's different strokes, but for outright warmth, do you prefer the Helios or the Neutrino. (hoods aside) IIRC, they have the same fill.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
I'm in the market for a new jacket in the light, synthetic category. In my limited searching I've found a couple including:

Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket - 60g of Thermo Micro fill (whatever that is) at 9.5 oz

Patagonia Nano Puff - 60g of Primaloft at 12.5 oz

Anything similar out there I should check out? Preference for no hood and full zip but quarter zip might work.

JFK:
In my opinion, you just described the Integral Designs javket. Out of Calgary, no less. Last I knew, you could get it with or without a hood. Made from primaloft, this thing is light, warm, very compactable and will keep you warm if wet.. We take both the jacket & the pants on our sheep hunts into the Brooks Range in Aug. and siwash in them. They are also the emergency gear I carry in my car in winter should we have a breakdown. Expensive? Somewhat but well worth it IMHO. If you can't get it from ID, then I'm certain that Barney's in Anchorage has them. Good luck
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by SKane

Ed,
I know it's different strokes, but for outright warmth, do you prefer the Helios or the Neutrino. (hoods aside) IIRC, they have the same fill.

I'd say they are pretty close loft wist with the Neutrino having a slight edge.

Ed T

J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
On my search for the perfect insulation piece, I came across this. Since we all tout merino and I could drown in the amount I have, it caught my eye with 70 g of "merino wool insulation." Final weight of 15 oz.

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Vests-Jackets/M-Wool-Aire-Sweater

Anyone have any experience?

Edit: In the video it claims to have 90% merino and 10% Ingeo fill. They have a heavier hooded version on a decent sale too.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I haven't tried the Ibex Aire yet but an curious. Ortovox has a similar product that I was suppose to have received a sample of, but haven't as of yet.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd say they are pretty close loft wist with the Neutrino having a slight edge.

Great, thanks Ed!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.