Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
shootem in the lungs they wont spray. Shootem in the head and they stink up the place

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I to am a fan of the jab stick and 90% alcohol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You "jab em in the lungs with alcohol" guys, please describe your skunk equipment.

Is this something that's commercially available or do you just have a long piece of bamboo with a syringe on it..?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just leave them in the trap until they die from lack of food and water. Never had one spray.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the sixties, Andy had one touring the basement of his older farmhouse. Taking umbrage at this intrusion, Andy cornered him behind the furnace and introduced him to the payload of a 12-gauge. Andy stayed at home to take care of the farm while his wife and kids moved into town with her folks for an extended spell.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSUCowboy27
I just leave them in the trap until they die from lack of food and water. Never had one spray.

From Oklahoma regulations:
Visiting traps: Traps must be tended once each 24-hour period. I'd bet the definition of tending in your regulations do not include letting the animal die from lack of food or water.

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/14/13.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by OSUCowboy27

I'd be surprised if that was legal, cause it sure as hell ain't ethical in my book.

Legal or not, I really hope that's a tongue in cheek thing too. I don't think much of any man who'd make it a point to intentionally prolong any critter's suffering in such a way. I have zero problem with dispatching a nuisance animal, but I'd never want anything to do with anyone who had a mindset that sees nothing wrong with that. mad

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Attach a vet syringe on the end of aa aluminum extendable painting pole. Fill with 90% alcohol, walk up real nice and calm, tickle their side with the needle and they will push up against it and inject themselves, 15 seconds later they are asleep and will never wake up

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Fingernail polish remover is almost pure acetone--so is the foreshots off the still--90% alcohol should go into the barrel fer agin.

jab stick really is the best way

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Didnt do a lot of trapping when I was a kid, but when I caught
a skunk I would shoot it with a 22 leave it for a day or two
and toss it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a small nuisance wildlife business for several years. I had to kill a large number of skunks that found their way into traps not intended for them. The best method I ever found was to use the CB longs, CB shorts or LR subsonics, solids not hollowpoints through the lungs. The higher velocity rounds tend to send them into enough shock that they panic and spray. The low velocity rounds seem not to bother them and they simply fall over shortly with no spray. Avoid hitting the bones of the front legs or shoulders.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard of folks using car exhaust.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We just pick up the trap and carry it to some place away from the house where it doesn't matter if they spray(pasture). Open trap, step back and shoot him with a shot gun when he runs out. Never had one spray in trap while alive.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you just wanted to relocate them put the trap in back of a pickup, drive to a river, back the truck over the water and dump them out from the bed of the truck. They will swim awy from the truck and cannot spray while swimming.

If not, just tie light rope to trap and drop in water.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I process from 10 to 30 each summer here. I use a Dura Poly live trap. Just tip the trap up an fill it with water to drown them. MN Trapline Products carries them. If you are careful they seldom smell at all.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I used a length of 3/4" wood dowling about 7.5' long so I could carry it in the bed of the truck. Like was stated before, buy a pet syringe from Tractor supply with needles. I would then take the plunger out of the syringe and using small wood screws, attach it to one end of the "jab stick" . then place syringe body back on it and carry alcohol and needles separately. Just attache needle and then draw a dose of alcohol as needed and inject as described. Works EVERY time.

Good luck!
Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I never knew about the lung shot issue. Though come to think of it I've shot some in the pasture in the lungs and they've only rarely sprayed.

While trapping years ago, I'd just shoot em in the head and get em out of the trap. Seemed you always had at least 30 seconds or so before they sprayed. Never got sprayed myself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
At times the scent from skunks is worth pretty good money, hate to see it go to waste. It is used to make perfume of all things

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I've heard of folks using car exhaust.

My best way..
water ? takes too long and a LOT of water.
I'd put the box trap into a HUGE plastic bag ( the type shipping peanuts are shipped in.. it has holes all over it.
Tie it to the tailpipe of my truck and fire it off
Go have a cup of coffee and come back and dispose of polecat.
Repeat.
Sometimes 7 times in a week!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Saw my brother dispatch a skunk in a trap last week. There was a stromg wind and we were up wind. He used his AR and 55 grain V max. It sprayed.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
151 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 19 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.