Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Namibia 2010
Hunters: 2X1 Casey and Travis Apsley
PH / Outfitter: Jan de Plessis, Sebra Hunting Safaris http://www.sebrahunt.com/
Game Taken: Each of us shot: one Kudu, one Blue Wildebeest, one Springbok and two Gemsbok. Additionally Casey shot a Warthog.
Game hunted but not taken: We pursued Red Hartebeest and Zebra the last two-and-a-half days as we had already shot everything else that we had originally planned on shooting. We viewed the Steenbok and Duiker as animals of opportunity.
Game Seen but not hunted: Giraffe, Black Wildebeest, Klipspringer, Dik Dik, Eland, Baboon & Jackal.
Rifles: Travis shot a Thompson Center Encore in 450 Marlin & Casey shot a Remington Model Seven in .308. Both rifles shooting hand loaded Barnes Triple Shock Bullets.
Travel: Lufthansa from Denver Colorado to Frankfurt, Germany (A340/600) / Air Namibia from Frankfurt to Windhoek, Namibia (A340/300).

My brother and I hunted with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris June 5th through the 13th. Sebra is located in the Kunene Region of Northwest Namibia near the town of Kamanjab.
We had a phenomenal time and I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about our adventure. The property is massive, the game quality and quantity was incredible, the accommodations were amazing and the cooking�WOW! Jan�s wife Mariesje is an extraordinary cook. Each meal was consistently the greatest food I have ever been able to experience. It would be worth booking a 21-day safari with Jan just to sit at the lodge and eat Mariesje�s cooking.
Jan provided us with the exact hunt that we were after. We worked our butts off for each trophy by getting as close as possible before shooting. Jan is a great partner in the field with a vast amount of knowledge and skill. Travel into the field was done with a Unimog truck with spot and stalk hunting done from kopjes.

Day One
Instead of flipping a coin to see who would shoot first, Casey and I decided that he would be the first to shoot a Gemsbok and I would shoot the first Kudu. We are going after Gemsbok today so Casey is to be the shooter.
We locate a group of Gemsbok from on top of a kopje and decide to make a stalk. Jan executed a great stalk that put us within 120 yards of a nice bull. Just as we got into position, the bull laid down in the grass, so we just had to wait him out. After we had been there quite a while the bull finally stood up; Jan instructed Casey to move into shooting position but before Casey even moved, the bull laid back down. Jan looked back toward the bedded down Gemsbok and a Kudu walks into the field of view in his binoculars. Jan recommended we take the Kudu as we can always find another Gemsbok. I move up onto the shooting sticks in a sitting position and fired. The Kudu was quartering slightly away and never knew we were around.
I�m sure that over the years, as this story is retold, my brother will begin to claim that we allowed a 48� Gemsbok to get away just so I could shoot this little Kudu. grin

Travis' Kudu
[Linked Image]

Day Two
We are back out looking for a Gemsbok for Casey. After glassing from a couple kopjes and only seeing young animals, we were about to move to another area when we noticed a tail swishing back and forth but could not see the whole animal. We moved to the next closest kopje to see if we could get a better view of the animal from there. We scrambled up the kopje, Jan peeked over the top and called for Casey to move up next to him. Casey took a rest across the rock and made the shot. The Gemsbok bull didn�t move 10 feet from where he was shot.

Casey's Gemsbok
[Linked Image]

Day Three
We are pursuing Gemsbok for me today. Seeing only immature animals throughout the day. Late in the day we did come across a solitary bull. We moved in to take a closer look at him and I decided to pass on him.

Day Four
Jan has Bon Jovi playing at breakfast and I mentioned to Casey that it had to be an indication of being a great day.
After breakfast, I was standing out by the truck, glassing the valley floor below when I saw a Kudu bull. We quickly gathered up everything and went after him. We got on him right away. The bull was aware of our presence. Casey made a quick shot. We found the Kudu about 50 yards from where he was shot.

Casey's Kudu
[Linked Image]

After getting the Kudu back to the skinning shed we were back out after Gemsbok. From the first kopje we climbed we located a group of very nice gemsbok. In this group were some very nice bulls and cows. There was an animal off to the side that we could only see part of. We made a plan to get around to another kopje to get a better look at him. From the second kopje we could see that it was a nice animal but it was a little further than what I wanted to shoot. We backed up and climbed further up the kopje, which became a little interesting, as we had to climb up some huge smooth face boulders to get to where we needed to be. From our next perch we could see that the Gemsbok that we were after had moved off and so even though we had gotten closer the shot was even further than where we first were. We scrambled down off of the kopje and made a stalk. We moved from bush to bush until we could not move in any further. I sat up to the shooting sticks and made a 150-yard shot. The Gemsbok bull dropped at the shot. This was a thrilling stalk that ended with us being in position with the entire herd completely unaware of our presence.
We had shot a Kudu and Gemsbok before 11am.

Travis' Gemsbok
[Linked Image]

After our mid-day break we went down on the river to look for Warthog, Duiker and Steenbok. We did not have an opportunity for a shot but had a great time just being out hunting and enjoying Africa.

Day Five
We moved to another area to hunt Blue Wildebeest and Springbok. Casey shot his Blue Wildebeest and Springbok in the morning and I shot my Blue Wildebeest and Springbok in the afternoon. We were not trophy hunting for the Blue Wildebeest. We just wanted a mature representation of that animal.
We found the Blue Wildebeest to be a challenging animal to hunt. It was not hard to locate the herd but difficult to make a stalk without being detected.

Casey's Blue Wildebeest
[Linked Image]

Casey's Sprigbok
[Linked Image]

Travis' Blue Wildebeest
[img]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac179/TravisApsley/Africa14.jpg[/img]

Travis' Springbok
[img]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac179/TravisApsley/Africa13.jpg[/img]

Day Six
During the morning Casey and I both shot our second Gemsboks and in the evening sat in a stand in an area where Jan had been seeing a large Warthog. We had several female and juvenile Warthogs come into water as well as quite a few Kudu.

Here is one of the pictures of a fresh Leopard track. We would see these on the road just about every morning as we traveled through this area. I placed a 450 Marlin cartridge next to it for size comparison. Casey wanted me to say the cartridge was a 458 Lott. wink
[img]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac179/TravisApsley/Africa2010322.jpg[/img]

Day Seven
We moved to a different area to hunt Red Hartebeest. Three different times we attempted a stalk, only to have the wind switch on us and reveal our position. We took our mid-day break in a blind at a water hole. After we had been there a couple hours, a big Warthog came to water. Casey used Jan�s 375 Ultra Mag and the Pig dropped at the shot. I thought it looked like about 180 yards but Casey was sure we could all agree that it was at least 350 yards. wink We became even more pleased with this trophy as we approached it as we could then see that all four tusks were perfect. Not a single tusk was chipped or broken.

Casey's Warthog
[img]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac179/TravisApsley/Africa18.jpg[/img]

Days Eight and Nine
We are after Zebra back on Jan�s place. The wind continues to be a challenge. It was switching direction every 20 minutes throughout the day due to a cold front that was moving through. We make a couple attempts at a stalk with no luck. This is a challenging animal to hunt and I would like to hunt them again.

Casey and I have dreamed of hunting Africa since we were boys, and going in we had very high expectations. Jan and Mariesje exceeded all of our expectations and more. They went above and beyond what was required of them, and every detail was taken care of. Because of their efforts, everything that we did during the eleven days we spent with this family was pure enjoyment. It is difficult to summarize such a tremendous adventure. We had the time of our lives.

BP-B2

T
OP Offline
T
Casey's Second Gemsbok
[Linked Image]

Travis' Second Gemsbok
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Big CONGRATS on a hunt of a lifetime!

I enjoyed your hunt report and all those beautiful pics!

Very nice trophies and good hunting....I love hunting Oryx too...my #1 PG animal to hunt along with warties laugh

Great job...You'll be back soon grin

Last edited by LateBloomer; 07/10/10.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Good animals all around....true age there.

Second Kudu with the full turned out tips is a slammer.

Dang,I need to get back to Namibia.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks very much for taking the time to post your story and pics.
It certainly was a trip to remember for you two brothers! Stories for a long time.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LateBloomer

Very nice trophies and good hunting....I love hunting Oryx too...my #1 PG animal to hunt

Im with LB on that one, and I particularly like those last two Gemsbok...both look like old bulls...lacking some length, but not mass or character, for shure... cool

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great stuff! Thanks for the story & photos.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by LateBloomer

Very nice trophies and good hunting....I love hunting Oryx too...my #1 PG animal to hunt

Im with LB on that one, and I particularly like those last two Gemsbok...both look like old bulls...lacking some length, but not mass or character, for shure... cool

Ingwe

Ingwe,

They're magnificent beasts that are difficult to hunt...wary, fast, elusive in the bush...and they can absorb a bullet well...And they're beautiful and tough, built like a tank eh! grin

I gotta make it back there again soon too grin

I've enjoyed seeing your bunch of Oryx trophy pics as well!!! grin

Good hunting!

Ro

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Very good quality animals!!! A credit to yourselves and your PH.

What did the two kudu measure, if you wouldn't mind posting that up?

T
OP Offline
T
Travis' Kudu's longest horn measured 55 1/2" with an 11.2" base.
Casey's Kudu's longest horn measured 50" with an 11.4" base.

Last edited by Troglodyte; 07/11/10.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Great pics! Glad you boys had a good time1 Congrats!

maddog

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Troglodyte

Both of them are beautiful trophies indeed!

Those deep spirals on Travis' put on some nice inches grin

Congrats again!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Troglodyte

Thanks for the stats, Travis.

Loved the look of your bull...........one of the prettiest heads I've seen out of Namibia.......and you shot a hell of an oryx too!!!!

Not too mention a couple of VERY nice springbucks....................

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

- Matthew 19:26
K
K
You know, I can hang in there with you until you get to the snakes part. I'm sure I'd have real problems facing charging water buffaloes, etc., but big, poisonous snakes dropping out of trees kinda puts it over the top!! Maybe 'boring' really is more my style....and Iowa is just the place for that

trips to botswana

Last edited by KarenDalton; 01/29/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for posting, looks like a fabulous trip with wonderful memories. I hunted very near where you were, just down the road toward Outjo. I was with Trophy Trackings with Danie Van Vuuren. We still stay in touch. God, I love that country.
Thanks
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome trip report!! Congrats!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the trip report. Nice warthog.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This story and the pics are why I'm desperate to go to Africa. Someday I'm gonna get there!

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.