Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Guys!!!

Just for a check, I went to JBM on the web, input all of the same data I used in Ballistic AE and printed a chart using the measured velocity of 3050.

JBM's output is SPOT ON to my actual shooting.

There must be a new Glitch in Ballistic! I'll let Johnathan know!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd never say I toldja' so... grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can someone with Ballistic AE run these numbers in a new profile:

105 A-Max
3050 fps
G7 BC
200 yard zero
0 height and offset
1.7" sight height
0 LOS angle

Both atmosphers as:
59 degrees
24.53 Hg
10% Humidity
Set altitude to zero
pressure is absolute

10mph wind at muzzle

Spin drift on at 10 twist

Coriolis on

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Tanner
I'd never say I toldja' so... grin

You sure did!

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jbm or g7 are the programs I've found that work best for me. Glad you got it figured out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to Jonathan.

He told me to tap on the action button in the top right of the trajectory page and "reset defaults"

I re-inputted all of the same data and it now works fine with the correct muzzle velocity.

I still don't know why though!...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. Obviously there was an input that was messed up and hiding somewhere wink

I've put in all your data into Ballistic AE, and I get a stability factor of 1.19, and 13.8 MOA low at 760. I didn't turn on Coriolis because you didn't mention the specific values for latitude and azimuth...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Jordan,
Everything was input correctly. What I have been doing on the Trajectory page is playing around with mock loads. I never have gone to the top and "reset defaults" before.

Something must get "stuck" in that page while you change bullets from the projectiles page.

Here's what Jonathan said,

"At the most basic, reset defaults and make sure the BC and MV are the same on both the site and in the app... should give you the same results with all default options and the same BC/MV. From there you can figure out what's different; could be zeroes, weather, spin drift, all kinds of things. If you tap on the action button in the upper right of trajectory, you can select 'reset defaults' which will reset it."

I simply did this and it worked. I asked him "why?" and he says,

"You likely had some default set that was throwing it off", whatever that means!

I put everything back in exactly as before and it worked....

?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is your actual dope at 760, out of curiosity?

What he means by the default set, is that you probably entered some inputs at some point, and then saved them as default, which is also an option when you push the button in the top right corner of the trajectory page. That default set would influence the output of any data that you enter.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Touching more on the crux,via a jaunt from today.

Treat every new(to you) scope,as being "suspect",until it's proven otherwise. That ain't a slight to Makes or Models,rather a running headstart to KNOWN quantities. Far easier to control atmospheric variables at the 100yd line,as opposed to the 1000yd line and the minimization of variables,is always where the rubber meets the road for the win. Lotsa ways to skin this cat,but I'm prone to cutting to the [bleep] chase and gotta see smooth/consistent transitions and repeats. Shooting "a box" with an erector,never meant schit to me and I weigh lineal tracking heartily.

Fast/easy way to weigh inherent erector virtue and quantify same. The baseline dimensioning is subjective,but I wanna travel the scale and the available scale had best do what I've in mind for the chambering/boolit or I'm kicking schit loose over a cliff and moving on.

Small aiming reference at bottom of target and 5" lineal vertical scale(which is horizontal in this frame,running left to right),on which to weigh ele erector travel virtues. A 1" 10x glass with a 250yd zero and 35" of available travel,will connect alotta dots,in regards to chamberings/boolits that I favor as mainstays.

The last thing I wanna do to one of my bores,is cram sumptin' other than boolits in/through it. I've zero use for spud indicators,or those affixed with magnets...because Pretending to shoot,ain't shootin'. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Windage tracking rates a thunk,as do ele and windage in conjunction. The horizontal windage scale in the next frame,is in 2" increments. No feat to hang the works square,gun solutions and critique their proposed POI,with the actual. In summation,schit had best track square and repeat to return. It's very typically a mindfphuck,for folks to gun such simplistic quantification and the astute will shop in accords with them findings. KNOWING reliably trumps a guess. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Now under the assumption that discrepancies are found,which do not jive with the assigned values slated a given erector,all is not lost. If the erector tracks in lineal fashion,but shy or proud of proposed actual...it makes not a [bleep] to skew the scale in accords to it's illustrated behavior and run dope to concur with same. The KEY is,knowing how it tracks and that it is repeatable. If not,cut losses and punt ASAP,less a single glance backwards. It always humors me how many get hung up on Hubble-esque magnification and bugs on a windshield reticles,yet are totally [bleep] clueless in regards to the meat and taters of the equation. With a known erector,crosshair intersection is always the bidness end of the solution and it's purty tough to [bleep] that up. Re-re-hint.

The weather blew up today,like it do in the Midwest during Winter. Plowed my way the range,paid my dues,awaited my turn and aired a few things out. Throwed a passel of wares in the crummy,but thunked this germane. Was gunning fireform comeup verification with 105's(Hornie HPBT). The scope was knowed and a 250 zero bestowed,which granted 35+ MOA remaining ele erector travel. Obviously,to grant such from a 1" tube,the windage had to be well centered.

[Linked Image]

From there and basing all from knowed speed/BC,it's a breeze to input solutions for dastardly deeds beyond the initial zero range. As per whim and subtle shift of a base MPAJ formulated via ruck,I could gun from 150 to the 1350yd line. With FF loads,the remaining erector travel from the 250yd zero,granted POA/POI intersection to the 1200yd line. Having quantified the erector's sanctity and the ES/SD of the ammo slated to the rifle particular,I could then in good faith dope atmospheric conditions and connect dots...working with KNOWN mechanical quantities. That happens to be the ONLY way to get good at reading/doping wind. Re-re-re-hint.

There's multiple wind impulses evident and that only makes schit fun. If you ain't testing both yourself and your gear...you's pizzing up stagnant ropes. Now there's MUCH to be said for flying glass that'll allow you to see trace/impact,as a means of reaffirming your wind calls. Re-re-re-re-hint.

[Linked Image]

It's nice to be able to quantify your calls,as reaffirmation that you've both oars in the water.

[Linked Image]

Long way of sayin',a guy makes his own "luck".

Re-re-re-re-re-hint.(grin) P.S. and by the way...[bleep] BDC's and I mean ALL BDC's.

Here Endeth the Sermon.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actual dope at 760 was 13.8! Shooting at 760 I had 14 in the scope and was right there a touch high. I'm sure that's what happened with the defaults In the Trajectory page. I'll be sure to hit "reset" before I enter any more new profiles from now on.

Boxer,

Nice sermon and great pics of some beautiful country!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Boxer

Treat every new(to you) scope,as being "suspect",until it's proven otherwise. That ain't a slight to Makes or Models,rather a running headstart to KNOWN quantities. Far easier to control atmospheric variables at the 100yd line,as opposed to the 1000yd line and the minimization of variables,is always where the rubber meets the road for the win. Lotsa ways to skin this cat,but I'm prone to cutting to the [bleep] chase and gotta see smooth/consistent transitions and repeats. Shooting "a box" with an erector,never meant schit to me and I weigh lineal tracking heartily.

Fast/easy way to weigh inherent erector virtue and quantify same. The baseline dimensioning is subjective,but I wanna travel the scale and the available scale had best do what I've in mind for the chambering/boolit or I'm kicking schit loose over a cliff and moving on.

Small aiming reference at bottom of target and 5" lineal vertical scale(which is horizontal in this frame,running left to right),on which to weigh ele erector travel virtues. A 1" 10x glass with a 250yd zero and 35" of available travel,will connect alotta dots,in regards to chamberings/boolits that I favor as mainstays.

The last thing I wanna do to one of my bores,is cram sumptin' other than boolits in/through it. I've zero use for spud indicators,or those affixed with magnets...because Pretending to shoot,ain't shootin'. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Windage tracking rates a thunk,as do ele and windage in conjunction. The horizontal windage scale in the next frame,is in 2" increments. No feat to hang the works square,gun solutions and critique their proposed POI,with the actual. In summation,schit had best track square and repeat to return. It's very typically a mindfphuck,for folks to gun such simplistic quantification and the astute will shop in accords with them findings. KNOWING reliably trumps a guess. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Now under the assumption that discrepancies are found,which do not jive with the assigned values slated a given erector,all is not lost. If the erector tracks in lineal fashion,but shy or proud of proposed actual...it makes not a [bleep] to skew the scale in accords to it's illustrated behavior and run dope to concur with same. The KEY is,knowing how it tracks and that it is repeatable. If not,cut losses and punt ASAP,less a single glance backwards. It always humors me how many get hung up on Hubble-esque magnification and bugs on a windshield reticles,yet are totally [bleep] clueless in regards to the meat and taters of the equation. With a known erector,crosshair intersection is always the bidness end of the solution and it's purty tough to [bleep] that up. Re-re-hint.

The weather blew up today,like it do in the Midwest during Winter. Plowed my way the range,paid my dues,awaited my turn and aired a few things out. Throwed a passel of wares in the crummy,but thunked this germane. Was gunning fireform comeup verification with 105's(Hornie HPBT). The scope was knowed and a 250 zero bestowed,which granted 35+ MOA remaining ele erector travel. Obviously,to grant such from a 1" tube,the windage had to be well centered.

[Linked Image]

From there and basing all from knowed speed/BC,it's a breeze to input solutions for dastardly deeds beyond the initial zero range. As per whim and subtle shift of a base MPAJ formulated via ruck,I could gun from 150 to the 1350yd line. With FF loads,the remaining erector travel from the 250yd zero,granted POA/POI intersection to the 1200yd line. Having quantified the erector's sanctity and the ES/SD of the ammo slated to the rifle particular,I could then in good faith dope atmospheric conditions and connect dots...working with KNOWN mechanical quantities. That happens to be the ONLY way to get good at reading/doping wind. Re-re-re-hint.

There's multiple wind impulses evident and that only makes schit fun. If you ain't testing both yourself and your gear...you's pizzing up stagnant ropes. Now there's MUCH to be said for flying glass that'll allow you to see trace/impact,as a means of reaffirming your wind calls. Re-re-re-re-hint.

[Linked Image]

It's nice to be able to quantify your calls,as reaffirmation that you've both oars in the water.

[Linked Image]

Re-re-re-re-re-hint.(grin) P.S. and by the way...[bleep] BDC's and I mean ALL BDC's.

Here Endeth the Sermon.

This should be a sticky at the top of the page.I know I wouldnt take the time to spell it out like this to someone on the 'net.

(not saying this was the problem in rc's case, but its an excellent "sermon" that many are blissfully ignorant about.)

Last edited by rosco1; 02/21/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here Endeth the Sermon.

Lil Fish,

Plotting inches on a piece of paper at 100yds to test the tracking of a scope that adjusts in Minute of Angle is not really a good bet. Hint your Leupold adjusts in Minutes of Angle not inches per 100yds.

35 MOA of travel in the optic (yours in the picture) will move the Point of Impact 36.645 inches at 100yds.

The OP in this thread would hand you your ass at LR as would most of the posters.

Makes me smile.

As Always Love and Kisses

John

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
More than likely, but I would never...

Hint, re re re re hint

smile

Last edited by rcamuglia; 02/26/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here Endeth the Sermon.

Lil Fish,

Plotting inches on a piece of paper at 100yds to test the tracking of a scope that adjusts in Minute of Angle is not really a good bet. Hint your Leupold adjusts in Minutes of Angle not inches per 100yds.

35 MOA of travel in the optic (yours in the picture) will move the Point of Impact 36.645 inches at 100yds.

This is one reason why I like my Bushnell magnetic bore sighter with the 16MOA grid lines. Works like a charm on all my rifles/scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
More than likely, but I would never...

Hint, re re re re hint

smile

Well I guess the sun will �more than likely� also rise in the east tomorrow. Pretty sure how I would bet on both of those issues. cool

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This is one reason why I like my Bushnell magnetic bore sighter with the 16MOA grid lines. Works like a charm on all my rifles/scopes.

A good collimator is pretty useful to real shooters. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Great post! wink

Yes, it was! When a scope does as expected, that's always nice. But what's REALLY critical is repeatability (assuming turrets here). If it repeats, I can dope it by shooting, and make a chart <g>, and rock on.

This was a 100-yd scope test with a big Conquest on my Sendero. I extra-tested the scope by dialing 4 MOA for every shot. The movement in the windage direction was disturbing but I must say, I never saw it whackin' steel.

Sold the rifle but hung onto the scope. smile

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah. I see there's conflict. I avoid conflict. I'm like the Switzerland of the Internet.

Peace out, my brothers. eek

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
JB:

Don't confuse our little 5 ft "expert on everything"...

he's trying to fill big shoes, with little bitty feet...

life's enough of an uphill battle for the little Smurf... I mean Schmuck....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here Endeth the Sermon.

Lil Fish,

The OP in this thread would hand you your ass at LR as would most of the posters.

Makes me smile.

As Always Love and Kisses

John

Heck JB, i was thinkin 35moa of dial netting you 35" downrange was pretty accurate for the leupold whistle grin

Last edited by rosco1; 02/27/13. Reason: forgot to smile
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.