Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Cool pic. We get occasional sightings of a Northern Shrike throughout winter. This year I had one chasing after the chickadees that were nibbling on some corn I had thrown out for the deer.

One winter I saw a Shrike fly down into a bunch of Bluebirds that were hanging out on the edge of a birdbath and killed one of the female bluebirds.

It then tried to carry it off. The shrike made it about 20 feet before it had to drop the bluebird. Had no idea they would attack prey that large...

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Cool pic. We get occasional sightings of a Northern Shrike throughout winter. This year I had one chasing after the chickadees that were nibbling on some corn I had thrown out for the deer.

One winter I saw a Shrike fly down into a bunch of Bluebirds that were hanging out on the edge of a birdbath and killed one of the female bluebirds.

It then tried to carry it off. The shrike made it about 20 feed before it had to drop the bluebird. Had no idea they would attack prey that large...

I had bullfrog kill one of my bluebirds at the edge of my pond last summer, he got most of the bluebird in it's mouth and drowned it.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy crap! That's a bad-assed bullfrog. laugh

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I should have said that is not my picture. I simply stole it to make my point. I did once toss a mouse on the ground that I had been carrying around and a shrike did exactly that. Which is why I googled for a shrike picture in the first place. They are master killers like all the raptors. But heartless (as if that matters).

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NeBassman
I had bullfrog kill one of my bluebirds at the edge of my pond last summer, he got most of the bluebird in it's mouth and drowned it.

Although a bluebird is no threat to a bullfrog, that still makes me think of this cartoon:

[Linked Image]

And yes, Winston Churchill really did say that... regarding the Battle of Britain, if I recall correctly.

John

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The first time I saw a Painted Bunting fishing on the Frio, I thought I was seeing chit. I went up to the house to look it up in the bird book. It was easy to find as it was on the cover of the book. Beautiful birds.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The bunting was fishing? Never heard of a bunting that fished... wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been seeing a lot of Bald Eagles here in swMO and seKS the last few years. That was unheard of previously, so still a pretty cool sight for us.

I wish we saw more quail, they're few and far between these days. Turkeys around everywhere though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry about the wording, I was fishin'. The bird was getting a drink of water.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by poboy
The first time I saw a Painted Bunting fishing on the Frio, I thought I was seeing chit. I went up to the house to look it up in the bird book. It was easy to find as it was on the cover of the book. Beautiful birds.

I still remember the first painted bunting that I saw too.

(not my photo, but it shows how freaky that species' plumage is!)
[Linked Image]

John

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

John

Quite a beautiful bird.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I get Wyoming Wildlife Magazine every month, and it's always got great photography and some good articles. Today (it just arrived) there's a good article on the woodpeckers/flickers that inhabit Wyoming, the photos are superb.

I'm not really a birding nut, but I could probably learn to be.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by poboy

[Linked Image]

John

Wow, it's colored almost like a Lori or various parrots.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, it's colored almost like a Lori or various parrots.

Aww heck, common as dirt across the Eastern two-thirds, and especially the middle third of Texas.

Interesting thing is, they gotta live to be two to get that color, one year old males sing and even get mates but look dull green like the females.

The other intersting thing is their migration: In August the whole population migrates due west to over by the Baja, have their annual moult (males keep their colors) and then migrate south to Southern Mexico/Central America.

Unfortunately for them they can survive on birdseed alone and do sing in season, so there's a huge industry down there in catching the males for sale as caged birds. Enough to impact the breeding population here.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jpb

John

Me, too. I married her, but I was drunk. I think.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a Painted bunting once. They seem to be secretive and stay deep in the woods.

Almost as striking is the Indigo bunting. I've had better luck seeing them.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never seen a painted bunting.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
These are my all time favorite in the looks department (not my photo)

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I confess watching grouse cracks me up like nothing else.They're such goofy buggers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This here is a Loggerhead Shrike, which is a common bird here in San Antonio and surrounding areas, sorta surprising as its gotten scarce in many other states.

[Linked Image]

Wet years we've had as many as three pairs nesting on our urban school campus but recent years its been so dry we only have a single pair each spring.

Predatory as all get out for their size, mostly they take whats easiest, which generally translate to crickets and grasshoppers but I have seen one carrying a dead male Northern Cardinal fully as large as itself by the nape of the neck.

Seen 'em catch hummingbirds twice, and in certain areas the barbed wire fences of Lackland AFB are festooned with freetail-bat carcasses.

Around here they feed their fledglings mostly on house sparrows just out of the nest, and the young shrikes will gather around and literally rip the dead sparrow apart limb from bloody limb like a pack of velociraptors.

Here's the tattered remains of one such kill....

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,878
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.