Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Bisley grip is no more sensitive to hold than any other grip and to claim so is simply ridiculous. The over size grips on the plow handle reshape the back of the grip more like a Bisley and position many too far from the trigger which means the grip must be rotated for the trigger finger. A grip that properly fills the hand spreads the recoil over a larger area making the felt recoil feel less

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The SBH is not available in a .45 Colt from Ruger although the Dragoon frame by iself is. I've never swapped parts on a Bisley so I don't know if you would have to switch out the hammer and possibly the trigger as well."

Hammer has to be ground to fit the grip, but can be used.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One of the nice things about wood grips on SA revolvers is that you can file/sand them down to fit your hand. I "ruined" a pair of Ruger factory grips finding the grip profile that fit best for me, and that made shooting heavy loads much more comfortable. FWIW, Cary Chapman's custom grips are much thinner in profile than the standard Ruger grips, and in my hands are much, more comfortable with heavy loads.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Having the sights lie closer to your hand is never a bad thing...which is probably why I like the Bisley and DA Smiths and Colt Anacondas.

A friend had a SBH and ditched it for a 44 Bisley....because the trigger gaurd mashed his knuckles with heavy loads. Go figure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by safariman
No matter how hard I have tried, I cannot shoot well with any of the single action revolvers. 329PD with finger groove style grips did OK for me, but with my XXL hands a 1911 grip is really the only good option. Thus, my Delta Elite with heavy bulleted handloads for my only 'big' handgun. If I cannot do it with that handgun, I need a rifle. As well, I just cannot get used to the look of the Bisley styled guns. Interesting to read others realities with various handguns.

Worst knuckle buster I have fired, and I still have it because it is SO handy and useful, is our P3AT with Buffalo Bore +P+ 100gr loads. Major league ouch factor with that mouse gun.

I hear you there Mark and I'm just the other way around. I have small hands with very short fingers. I have found that I can't shoot double actions well at all except for small frame S & W .22lr kit guns. The best frames for me are single action and 1911. I do well with my 5 1/2 barrel SBH which has a round trigger guard but I only shoot moderate loads. I never have tried a Bisley.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I once converted a SBH .44 magnum to a Bisley grip. Much more better for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got 4 ruger blackhawks, 357,41mag ,an SBH and a 45LC bisley I like the bisley well enough but the other three have herret grips and that does the trick for me

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 6'5" and have XXL hands also.

I've got 2 older Vaqueros in the Bisley frame, one 44Mag and the other 45Colt. Also have an older Vaquero plow handle in a 45Colt.

When shooting the heavy loads, 300g in the above the Bisleys make a HUGE difference in felt recoil and to date I'm not getting the crap kicked out of my knuckles. I don't shoot anything very hot at all in the plow handle at all. Knuckels come away from the plow handle looking like hamburger when shooting the hot 300g so it gets a steady diet of very mild loads.

Interesting that the lads that do the conversions to the super calibers, 475's etc., all start out with an Old Ruger Bisley Vaquero. They must have figured it out !!!!!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by DocRocket
FWIW, Cary Chapman's custom grips are much thinner in profile than the standard Ruger grips, and in my hands are much, more comfortable with heavy loads.

Interesting as I have found quite the opposite and the couple of sets I have bought from Cary, the first probably 10 years ago, have either been leaned or replaced by Alan Harton to fit my mitt properly, a rather large mitt too. Just goes to show that parts of a gun fit an individual like parts of, oh never mind.... grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogwater
I have large/average hands and I am not a bisley grip fan. I think the plain blackhawk grip feels a lot better.

ditto

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a BH 45 Colt in a Plow handle.

I always wanted a Bisley but I I just mite stay with a Plow handle

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by DocRocket
FWIW, Cary Chapman's custom grips are much thinner in profile than the standard Ruger grips, and in my hands are much, more comfortable with heavy loads.

Interesting as I have found quite the opposite and the couple of sets I have bought from Cary, the first probably 10 years ago, have either been leaned or replaced by Alan Harton to fit my mitt properly, a rather large mitt too. Just goes to show that parts of a gun fit an individual like parts of, oh never mind.... grin

grin

Yeah, I could add to that line of though, but perhaps shouldn't...

But on the matter of grips... it's really an individual thing, and not just based on the size of your hands. F'rinstance, years ago I bought a pair of Miculek grips for my IDPA gun. EVERYBODY was raving about them. Even though I have fairly large hands, I found them to be fat and ugly, and very difficult to get a consistent grip on at the beginning of my drawstroke. I switched back to my Skeeter Skelton type "coke bottle" grips, and have stuck with that style for most of my DA revolver shooting. A couple years ago when I acquired my 625 Mountain Gun it came with some lovely, big fat aftermarket "magnum" grips that beat the [bleep] out of the MCP joint of my right thumb. I switched out to some nice thin Pachmayr Decelerators, and the pain magically went away...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Bisley grip frame, if you're using a single action. I had a .44 mag SBH some years ago and got rid of it in favor of N frame Smiths. I have three N frames, and one Ruger .480 SRH. The SRH with 350's at 1350 is about all the DA revolver I want smile

I have "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads in a Bisley, and it was no big deal.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I know...I know, dead horse. Maybe I can ask this in a way that isn't so repetitive to previous discussions.

I picked up a .45 Colt Bisley last year. I haven't shot it much cuz I was waiting on components, a mould, and manufacturers to make repairs.

Finally got everything together and shot some moderate 300gr loads today.

OUCH!

I read so much about how well the Bisley handles recoil. I guess everyone that writes that has smaller hands than I. My knuckle got hammered by the trigger guard. Does the plow hand style grip offer a little more distance between the guard and middle finger knuckle?

Any body with large hands (not fat hands, just big--I'm 6'4" with XL hands and long fingers) been through this that can offer some advice?

I confess I have both a Bisley and a NMBH in .45 Colt. The Bisley beat the knuckle of my size 11 paws. I tried several grips, both thicker and thinner. I found that even with my mitts, smooth Eagle Gunfighter grips work well for me. They are thinner than factory grips, but they allow my fingers to rap around the grips a little more and I don�t rap the knuckle with the trigger guard.

I also have Eagle Gunfighter grips on my NMBHs. I have done comparison testing with identical, fairly heavy loads in both the Bisley and NMBH and to me, there isn�t much difference. Others may see it differently. I prefer the XR3-RED grip of the NMBH: it rolls a little more in the hand, but I prefer that myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got larger than average paws. I don't like the bisley grips either. The old plow handle is more comfortable for me, and I shoot more accurately with it.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got larger than average mitts and prefer the Bisley, go figure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got average? hands, I can't stand the Bisley grips!?, they just feel wrong to me?, my Vaquero 44Mag has the plow grips and I have no issues cranking off several cylinders of the full house stuff!?, my Blackhawk 357, Single Six and Bearcat all have plow grips, granted the 22's have minimal recoil but all I see with the Blackhawk is some extra muzzle flip, the Vaquero has a HEALTHY muzzle flip.

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 257 roberts, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.