Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well said, good sir.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe they're some sort of tribute to Ray Lewis's retirement.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know the feeling, I just don't understand ammo/gun makers when it comes to advertising.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Huntz
[quote=pahick]and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded....

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
WTH does "deer thugs" mean? Who is this being marketed to?

Deer Thug=Today�s Hunters United for Good marketed by Mossy Oak. Who are they marketing to? ....

pahick;
Hopefully this finds you and yours well this cool Sunday morning sir.

While I usually try to give manufactures the benefit of doubt in marketing their products, I can't support this one from Mossy Oak and Federal.

Despite the overuse of acronyms everywhere in our culture, the term "thug" has had a negative connotation in our language for more than 200 years.

Looking at it from the perspective of having been a Hunter Safety Instructor/Examiner for 20+ years, I can't conceive of a situation where I could explain to the non-hunting parents of a young hunter how being associated with anything named "thug" is positive.

Every year we do get non-hunting parents bringing sons and daughters in to become hunters here in BC, sometimes taking the course with their kids in support of them. While we try not to be overly PC in our language, we still need to be aware of the message we're sending to folks who are new to hunting.

Again, I can't envision how I'd begin to defend the use of the term "thug" as I'm attempting to articulate to one of those parents the reasons I'm compelled to head into the mountains every fall in the pursuit of protein for our family.

Anyway, if someone from either Mossy Oak or Federal wants to explain the rationale behind the use of that term to me I'll most certainly listen, but they'll have to be pretty convincing to change my mind at this juncture.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week pahick.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/24/13. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm waiting for the Hi Energy homie ammo myself..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7STW;
Good morning Mike, it's good to see you out and about!

Hopefully all is going well with you all up there.

Thanks for the chuckle on the "Hi Energy Homie" laugh

Have a good week and stay safe out there.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You hate the rap stuff but if you could get your hands on a Thompson you would love to Rock and Roll.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What kind of image does the "Thug" label conjure up?

The gun culture is under daily attack and mouth breathing morons working in marketing are not helping.

I am not a "Thug". I am not raising my children to be "Thugs" or associate with anyone who is. I sure as hell am not going to promote or purchase "Thug Life" or "Thug Bullets". In fact I am not going to purchase anything from any company who markets such stupid crap.

What is next, a commercial spot on the MTV Hip Hop cell block reunion?

MS

Postscript: Does anyone have an email address for the president of Federal? I would not mind sending him a note.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't understand ammo/gun makers all commercials when it comes to advertising.

Most advertisements will make me less likely to buy the product instead of more likely. Dr. Pepper and their queer looking male dancers made me never drink one again. There are others but I will not make a list of them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded, probably fusions. Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!

+1000
IMO, it's in poor taste to use the term "thug" in connection with hunting. It's pretty hard to convince people the sport is about a love of wildlife, conservation and the outdoors when people are referring to themselves as "thugs" and such. As someone who deals with real "thugs" day in day out, I'm tired of this kind of crap. It appeals to the wrong kind of people. I'm not saying we need to all break out the tweed and british doubles but to me, hunting isn't about being "badass". We aren't gangsters, not at war with deer or anything else. I don't see what is wrong with calling it Fusion if that's what it is. There are enough people on the fence as it is, personifying and marketing the sport as "thugish" isn't going to help convince any non hunter who might wonder about the kind of people involved with it we aren't just a bunch of dumbazzes out there drinking beer planning to blow bambi into the next county with our gats.
I don't care if people use it, with all the tinfoil hat panic going on, it is hard to find ammo as it is. I just don't get the need to pander to and encourage this crap in our culture.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mossy Oak�s Deer T.H.U.G.S. follows the hardest of the hardcore whitetail hunters to learn what they know that sets them apart. With weekly input from five of the most-experienced, authentic and whitetail-savvy hunters in the game, this series reaches to the core of the tradition and places hunters of every stripe alongside those most attuned to the ways of the whitetail. The dedication and devotion of hunters who, since the turn of the last century, are responsible for one of the most successful conservation efforts in history, continues to lead all outdoor pursuits in man hours spent managing, tending, growing and hunting whitetail deer. Featuring: Jimmy Riley, Kevin Burleson, Fred Law, Justin Eakins and Charlie O\'Brien.

[Linked Image]

If you go to their facebook page, you'll see their target demographic. It ain't hard to figure out if you don't.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thug. def. noun. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

Perfect to portray hunters in this light. The bad part is, it isn't written like T.H.U.G.S on all the crap they market. It is written as thugs. So what are you to think?

They are such badasses on their site. Laffin!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hardest of the hardcore!!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Screams d-bag.

Yup.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
These idiots have no clue as to what they're inferring with these terms. Disgusting. Based on the sorts of garbage you see on the outdoor channel I think Mossy Oak is likely run by fools and goons. I won't waste my time contacting them.

Federal on the other hand I think is more logical and probably willing to listen. I'll contact them. I'll point out the idiocy of being one of the biggest manufacturers for the MIL/LE market, yet labeling ammo that celebrates or glorifys criminal culture and paints a bad immage of us.

Or maybe I'll just ask for them to bring out some SS Panzer .30-30 rounds or perhaps a Buchenwald Belted Magnum line.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I'd be much more likely to buy some "Federal FUDD Ammo" in a Filson plaid box than this stuff.

You think they'd call their hollow point pistol ammo "Vigilante" or "Pimp Hand"??

I'm not the type who thinks everything should be politically correct, but this stuff just borders on stupid. (Not to mention the fact that I DON'T need bonded ammo to kill a whitetail in Texas and it costs $6 more than the old blue box did).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mossy Oak Deer Thugs Ammo.

Seems appropriate.

I know stereotyping isn't a PC thing to do, but I'd bet a sugar cookie Thug ammo was designed for the discerning hunter who baits, feeds, supplements antlers, video records and pretty much finds a way to get nutted up and harass deer 365 days of the year and call it "conservation".

Last time I checked, the best way to "conserve" an animal species is find a market for it and raise them as livestock....

But I digress, the last time I put down 8 prolapsed hogs I did it without cameras and facepaint...I coulda been a contenda...
If Federal is interested (and it appears they are), I'd suggest a line of MF'in G Hog Killa ammo.

I don't do facepaint, but for 100G's I'd wear a pig shaped clock and sport a gold toof for a box or two....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal

pahick;
Hopefully this finds you and yours well this cool Sunday morning sir.

While I usually try to give manufactures the benefit of doubt in marketing their products, I can't support this one from Mossy Oak and Federal.

Despite the overuse of acronyms everywhere in our culture, the term "thug" has had a negative connotation in our language for more than 200 years.

Looking at it from the perspective of having been a Hunter Safety Instructor/Examiner for 20+ years, I can't conceive of a situation where I could explain to the non-hunting parents of a young hunter how being associated with anything named "thug" is positive.

Every year we do get non-hunting parents bringing sons and daughters in to become hunters here in BC, sometimes taking the course with their kids in support of them. While we try not to be overly PC in our language, we still need to be aware of the message we're sending to folks who are new to hunting.

Again, I can't envision how I'd begin to defend the use of the term "thug" as I'm attempting to articulate to one of those parents the reasons I'm compelled to head into the mountains every fall in the pursuit of protein for our family.

Anyway, if someone from either Mossy Oak or Federal wants to explain the rationale behind the use of that term to me I'll most certainly listen, but they'll have to be pretty convincing to change my mind at this juncture.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week pahick.

Regards,
Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne. All the best to you and yours as well. Seems your sentiments echo most others. Very poor choice of words to market. Hopefully their views change in the future.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree with many of these posts, this is embarassing for the shooting sports and difficult to defend.
Sometimes the enemy seems to be us.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Huntz
and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded, probably fusions. Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!

Why???

Because its...childish...are you shooting zombies? Are you a "thug"? These items are tools use for wildlife management, defense, etc..not a game some pimple faced geek plays in front of their tv.

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
WTH does "deer thugs" mean? Who is this being marketed to?

Deer Thug=Today�s Hunters United for Good marketed by Mossy Oak. Who are they marketing to? My guess is the overly tattoo'd freaks with pierced lips, nipples and whatever else...or men with pencils dicks trying to overcompensate.

Totally agree.
And 7 STW, that was funny.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.