Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You guys know that the LMF type steels can be used with sandpaper? I have a "micro kit" that is TSA compliant that I never have to give up. It's transparent so I don't even have to open it to use my button compass smile

There are some #16 fish hooks in there now. One can always seem to be able to count on catching dumb minnows.
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image]

The long bag is a fold up buck saw.

The green match case is UCO stormproof matches, if you turn half of them upside down you can fit 36 matches and a couple of extra strikers instead of the regular 24.

The paracord lanyard has a scraper, firesteel rod, soft magnesium and jute twine tied into a fob. You can get the scraper, firesteel and magnesium from firesteel.com. I originally got the set from the Paracordist but I don't think he sells them anymore.

The longer the trip and nastier the weather I carry more Fatwood, which I get from these guys.

http://www.greatgreenapple.com/hearth/fatwood/index.shtml

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the idea of a necklace of Fireworks... I think it would go well with my eyes smile

Oh, and first chance you get, look over a GB Outdoors Axe. Your mini will wind up on the classifieds.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It's not a mini, it's the wildlife.

I was thinking of going up to the small forest axe or the regular forest axe.

Aside from the collar, what is the advantage of the outdoors axe over the two forest axes.

The lanyard isn't for wearing around the neck, it just keeps the items together, good way to get hung if you catch it on something.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Dan- One of the fellows at he ECR had the new Gransfors. It certainly is tempting, the only thing I'm a tick Leary of is is resemblance to a Hudson Bay axe, which are prone to head problems. I'm hoping the steel collar combined with the simple fact that it is a GRANSFORS will lay my worries to rest. I've a Mini and have no bones with it, but I do like the extra snap that the outdoors axe affords. It's a slick little number and I'll be listening along in earnest as you keep putting the miles on yours.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I learned something new, never in a milion years would I have thought you could order lighter pine off the internet.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
CHAR CLOTH

I haven't seen anyone even mention it - it's what the old timers ( trappers with sparkers) used to start fires.

You can make it by taking a tee shirt cutting it into 2" by 2" pieces (or whatever fits into your container well), putting a huge bunch of it into a small air tight paint container, poking a single hole in the top with a nail, and then putting it on a camp stove on high and watch smoke roll out the hole, when it slows down stop and let it cool. What you get is cloth that looks like charcoal but feels like material of a propane lantern - and it catches sparks and glows as the embers start to catch.

Go to this site and you can see somebody is making some

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Char-Cloth/

Heck of a fun thing to play with, and who doesn't have old Tee shirts .

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you mix Char cloth with anything that is harder to start but burns long you have a good setup.

Char cloth is relatively unheard of today, but it's a heck of a neat thing to do on a weekend with a kid, and flint and steel.

it's wild how char cloth picks up sparks, essentially char cloth is charcoal in a thin fabric form that catches sparks and keeps them alive and burning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bumping this up, Sierra has FireSteels on sale.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/light-my-fire-scout-firesteel-fire-starter~p~3626w/?filterString=s~fire-starter%2F&colorFamily=99

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/light-my-fire-firesteel-20-fire-starter~p~5693p/?filterString=s~fire-starter%2F&colorFamily=01

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RockChucker30 posted a video on SeekOutside's website showing how to make firestraws with pixi sticks.
http://seekoutside.com/giant-pixy-stix-fire-straws-in-an-altoids-tin/

I've made a few firestraws with just soda straws but started thinking. Why not some sealed cotton balls in something more compact. Thought about the Foodsaver vacuum sealer. So I made some firestarting packets of vaseline soaked cotton balls sealed in Foodsaver vacuum plastic. They aren't vacuumed, just sealed.
[Linked Image]

I made several, they are sealed and waterproof and will pack down into an altoids tin or some similar container.
[Linked Image]

You can light the whole packet with a lighter which I tried out or cut and partially pull out the cotton ball and it will fire right off with a firesteel which is what I did in this photo. They seem to burn about 4 minutes.
[Linked Image]

Just trying some different alternatives. I think this is neat as everything stays weather sealed and dry and packs flat. A couple could be carried in a fire kit or just thrown in a pocket.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

That is slick grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can do the same thing with vaseline worked into cotton patches in an empty plastic snuff can.

Vaseline is pretty much waterproof in a snuff can.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody tried to wet a vaseline soaked cottonball? I'm wondering if they'll light, really they can't absorb water much can they?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by NathanL
I learned something new, never in a milion years would I have thought you could order lighter pine off the internet.

So true... The first time I saw fat wood for sale; I just chuckled and thought "grab an axe, and go for a walk"

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by snubbie
Anybody tried to wet a vaseline soaked cottonball? I'm wondering if they'll light, really they can't absorb water much can they?
I just tried it the melting vaseline will cause the match to flare up but the cotton will not light. This was a soaked cotton ball I don't know about a damp one.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I just tried it the melting vaseline will cause the match to flare up but the cotton will not light. This was a soaked cotton ball I don't know about a damp one.

A sustained flame from a lighter will get a soaked pj cottonball to light, but you need to wring the water out first.

Here's an article on how to make fire straws from petroleum jelly soaked cottonball and giant pixy sticks.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 02/27/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
Originally Posted by Irving_D

A sustained flame from a lighter will get a soaked pj cottonball to light, but you need to wring the water out first.

Here's an article on how to make fire straws from petroleum jelly soaked cottonball and giant pixy sticks.

Yeah, that's a good video. I made some with regular soda straws. That was the inspiration to seal some with vacuum seal material. (See previous page)

And thanks Irving_D for trying out the soaked cotton ball. Glad to know they will light if the water is wrung out first.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think another factor is how much vaseline is used and how well it is worked into the ball.

I use the cotton cosmetic squares. I've found that they stick to each other well and can be sort of gummy. I've made some with vaseline and a little mineral oil. The oil seems to soak the cotton better and still burns well especially with vaseline in the mix. Haven't tried them wet, but think the oil is a benefit.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Another option to light your starter is 4 ought steel wool and a 9 volt battery, light weight, easy to carry, and good for a few lites in wet weather.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went looking for some fatwood today. There is an old burn with lots of downed pines. This is a place not far from here. The view is high, looking off of the Blue Ridge Escarpment and across the Piedmont.
[Linked Image]

Found some good wood at the base of a broken pine. Not sure if it is honest to goodness "fatwood" but it is very resin-rich and can be lit with nothing but a match.
[Linked Image]

It was a cold day with spitting snow flurries and high wind. I got a pretty good handful. Put with what I have already collected and I have plenty for my kit. Probably more than I'll use. I just don't make that many fires when out and about. Enjoyable day anyway and as good excuse as any to get out.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 74 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.