Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by epstud74
I was confused..I know what a military 98 is...but your statements earlier about commercial rifles not being "Mausers" is what threw me off.

Anyways..turned out today that front and back both take Model 98 bases..Will the rifle need shims for the rear base?

Do you consider a Brno a true Mauser?

epstud74, you're still confused. One post it seems you know all there is to know about Mauser and the next post it seems as if you don't know $hit.

You have been helped by six different people that know. Interarms Mk X, Remington 798, Charles Charles Daly Mauser, all bases for these will fit yours... none of these is a military Mauser.

"Do you consider a Brno a true Mauser?" No, a Mauser is a Mauser... a Brno is a ..... BRNO wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

BP-B6

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I'm well aware that its not a military Mauser. I think it goes without saying right? The only question I had was which commercial Mauser type bases were the best fit? The issue arose from the fact that optics planet, midway USA, Brownells, etc all had different answers and even one had a disclaimer that the Rem 798 would not fit on the others. Even in this very own thread a couple stated that certain bases did not fit, while others did. I'll chalk it up to slight inconsistencies in manufacture.

Not sure how the conversation turned towards cutouts for stripper clips etc.

As for the Brno, you wouldn't consider a Brno VZ24 a Mauser? Seems to me that people are arguing semantics here. I understand that there are small ring and large ring military rifles. I don't care about those, just was confused as to which bases fit the pre drilled holes on the Zastava type rifles, which apparently are a source of disagreement for some

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
oops

Last edited by fmajor; 03/03/13.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
These will work on a Zastava "commercial" mauser with standard rings:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/std-mounting-systems/std-mauser-fn-2-pc/

If they don't I'll buy them from you.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by epstud74

As for the Brno, you wouldn't consider a Brno VZ24 a Mauser? Seems to me that people are arguing semantics here. I understand that there are small ring and large ring military rifles. I don't care about those, just was confused as to which bases fit the pre drilled holes on the Zastava type rifles, which apparently are a source of disagreement for some

The Brno VZ24 is a Mauser clone, not a Mauser but as you stated, it makes no difference as to your original question which was concerning a Zastava M70 which is neither.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
So a DOT code K98 would just be a clone?

My zastsva bolt (headspace not withstanding) cycles in all my large ring rifles

Or is your position of that all non-oberndorf rifles are considered clones?

The name "Mauser" IMO ceased to refer to a brand name long ago and pretty much refers to the family of actions it spawned over the last 115 years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My position? smile My position is ignorance is bliss and you still have issues wink

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
You guys seem to have vastly different ideas than the gunboards.com forum lol

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Anyways the Interarms X Weaver Scope bases/rings did the trick. He did have to call and order, but after some discussion (like here) a solution was found. Commercial 98 bases and the Leupold bases mentioned above also work

Took it to a legit gunsmith and dealer it works out fine Scope clears the bell too (barely).

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We're a lot smarter grin

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Based on what I have seen and read the differences between mauser 98 military and the commercial versions lie in the safety mechanism, floorplate, bolt angle, thumb cut and clip slot. But probably anybody with a little knowledge, a lot of time and the right tools could swap bolts, magazine plates/releases, and safety mechanisms from one to the other......I think.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Here is the new importer of these rifles

http://www.fimegroup.com/M70.html?page=&is_featured_product=

E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I used to live in the Mooresville area btw. In Lincoln County on the west end of Lake Norman.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.