Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Baker Ranch in Rocksprings, 2 hours from SA, used to offer both axis and bbuck and they are totally free range. Nothing is easy about them at times. Other times you can drive right by one....

I haven't guided there in years so can't comment on the quality of the hunt but the sisters used to run it and Bonnie and Lisa put on a good feed and you had a good chance at an average animal, never did see anything exceptional, IE 21-22 inch bbuck and 34 inch axis were about tops. 19 average on bbuck, 30ish on axis.

I"m sure it would google up.

My best bbuck was something over 23 but it was on a not hunted much ranch and the owners allowed me to do my own thing.... they had seen a large one they said but it never came by the stands.... so of course I set off to just glass and watch areas no where near stands and on the last morning after finally tracking his location down somewhat, I set up close to where I"d seen him from a distance.... 80 yards ain't much of a shot..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rost, how did it taste?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another outfitter http://www.magnumguide.com/ExoticHunting.aspx

There are plenty of free roaming black buck but usually they can't cross a standard goat fence, so make sure you aren't getting a small pasture canned hunt. The YO ranch was one of the first to offer exotic hunting. It's a nice place just to visit.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Chasseur
Thank you gents for information.

That is a handsome blacbuck!

Here's my best Hawaii axis:

[Linked Image]

Drilling? What caliber?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
It my "go-to gun" an old GDR Merkel in 16/16/7x65r, very accurate and fun to use.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boise
Thought this thread needed a picture.

[Linked Image]

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Chasseur
It my "go-to gun" an old GDR Merkel in 16/16/7x65r, very accurate and fun to use.

Very cool. Need more pics!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks! Here are some more photos:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the right handloads it can do this at 100 yards:
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
wow! Beautiful rifle and accurate... thats a keeper for sure.

I have a Drilling that my dad gave me 9.3x72R/16x16. Its not a deluxe grade by any means - probably was a working gun for a PH, maybe. But man does it handle nicely.

Thanks for sharing pic's

T
T
There are a good many free range blackbuck around San Angelo. They are lots of fun to hunt and certainly not dumb. They are not nearly as common to be found free range as Axis deer are and are nowhere near as good to eat. Axis are nearly everywhere in the Hill Country of TX now. I've had leases in Junction, Sonora, Menard, and Lampasas. We had axis on every lease we've ever had in the Hill Country. We even shot several free range axis on our property in Del Rio.
I usually hunt them during turkey season and they breed year round. No set time for the rut. Bucks will be in all stages of antler growth during any given time of the year.
Book a turkey hunt with a landowner that has lots of axis. Turkey numbers will be low in most of that country because of drought, but still should be enough birds to make it fun.
Another option is turkey/nilgai hunt in S. Texas.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've begun to hunt in Texas some lately instead of just driving through to hunt farther west as I have for years. I have been fortunate to take a good Blackbuck and Aoudad but the Axis has eluded me thus far.

I'm looking for good trophy Axis hunting if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.