Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm with JPro on 20"s being a magic number, but like Toad says, I like both, or in this case (All 3!!!).

All 35 Remingtons. Strangely the little 600 doesn't seem any louder than the Model 7. The action on the 7600 is so long it compensates for the 16.5" barrel.

Top: 20", Middle 18 1/2", Bottom 16.5".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know.... it's a sickness. (Actually 3 daughters, 3 SIL's, 3 grandchillin, with another on the way.)

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20" is where I would look, give or take an inch or two.

They balance well and are a good compromise of length/noise/velocity.

Any 06' case with a muzzle break will really leave your ears a ringin'. Like getting slapped with two phone books. My 708 is not too loud, but my ears do ring afterwards for a short while.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lucznik

I have the exact rifle you are asking about in 7-08 Rem. I LOVE it! It is an absolutely fantastic little rifle. I do not consider it to be any louder than most any other hunting rifle I've shot. It certainly is much quieter than my .264 Win Mag. ;-)

I've never thought it to be an excessive flamethrower either.

Interestingly, my chronograph shows that the drop to the 16.5" barrel only lost me just barely over 3% of the velocity figures given in the manual.

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

She's shot my 223 plenty, and never really complained about it much - aside from the time she shot a coyote from her covered carport. If the 7/08 is in the same general noise range, it won't be a problem. Otherwise, I'll look for a 20" barrel and see how it fits her. Kind of a tossup between the Compact and the old tang safety Ultralights, whichever pops up cheapest in an interesting caliber I reckon.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might consider the various youth models available in different brands. I will comment on the Howa, which I have in .243 Winchester. The Youth models will have a shorter LOP, typically a 20" barrel, and usually top out in 7-08.

The Howa seems to be more than accurate enough, and the only thing I felt needed replacing was the trigger. The standard trigger was usable, but the Timney was an improvement. The weight of the rifle is nice, not the lightest, but certainly not the heaviest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having shot several different Thompson Encore rifle cartridge chambered 16.25" barreled short rifles and pistols I can say that there is a very significant muzzle blast that comes with shooting them.

I think you're crazy to shoot ANY centerfire rifle or pistol without quality hearing protection in place for every single shot...

The cumulative damage to one's hearing over a lifetime of hunting and shooting is nothing to take lightly.

I've found that the reduced velocity that comes with a shortened barrel such as a rifle with 16.25" barrel (any shorter and it's illegal to possess without a special federal permit)is more than worth it because these rifles almost always shoot more accurately since a huge portion of accuracy problems are caused by barrel whip.

Barrel whip is greatly reduced as barrels become shorter and 16.25" is quite a nice sweet spot.

I have several carbines with 20" barrels that I'd LOVE to shorten to either 18" or 16.25" but don't want to lessen their sale or trade value in the future if I decide (once again) to change my cartridge focus... wink

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
IC B2

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
LDH - It's funny you should mention the thought of the shorter barrels being more accurate. I've got two other 223's, one with a 22" barrel and the other is either 20" or 22". The 16.5" rifle is the only one which is particular about handloads, a half grain either way will take it from a .6" rifle to a 2"+ rifle. It's been bedded but I left the forearm pressure at the advice of a friend who has some Ruger experience.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Ruger RSI 77 Stainless 7mm-08 has the 18 1/2 in. barrel
It is a little louder than my std 30-06.
AMRA

Molan Labe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.