Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The 38SP is a fairly mild round and is the biggest my wife can or will shoot. So, I am trying to reload some SD rounds and want decent ammo. I like lead bullets just cause they are cheap and right now can actually be purchased! Pretty much everything else is not avaiable/back ordered/etc.

Looking at 125gr HP vs 158gr HP, which I can buy today.

Have to stay under +P pressures for her revolver, which limits velocity. I have lots of primers and a selection of various pistol powders.

What is your pick between only these two choices?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 03/09/13. Reason: to fix my bad spelling
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The 125 for sure. The extra gain in velocity will give better expansion.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dont know a thing bout hp's in the little 38 spec, a bud uses full bore wadcutters in his and swears by 'em for painful DEEP cutting penetration.

I know he has used em on man and beast.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
The 38SP is a fairly mild round and is the biggest my wife can or will shoot. So, I am trying to reload some SD rounds and want decent ammo. I like lead bullets just cause they are cheap and right now can actually be purchased! Pretty much everything else is not avaiable/back ordered/etc.

Looking at 125gr HP vs 158gr HP, which I can buy today.

Have to stay under +P pressures for her revolver, which limits velocity. I have lots of primers and a selection of various pistol powders.

What is your pick between only these two choices?
I'm going to assume that she's carrying a revolver with a barrel less than three inches, since that's your typical "carry .38." Don't depend on expansion, especially since you're not loading to +p pressures. It's just not going to happen. Not enough barrel length to develop the velocity you need for that.

The next best way to go is a destructive meplat, i.e., a front of the bullet shaped such as to inflict the maximum damage without depending on expansion. You want to avoid a "bullet shape," and prefer a blunt, broad, sharp edged, and flat, shape. The very best in this regard is the 148 grain target wadcutter. Only problem with that is that when you push them to normal self-defense velocities (beyond typical target load pressures) you get really bad leading of the bore, for one thing, and the blunt meplat quickly gives way on impact. The solution is "hard cast" lead.

Buffalo Bore produces a load just like this, designed specifically for snub nose revolvers. It's expensive, but then you will not likely be target shooting with them. They are generally going to be kept in the gun while carried, but not used up at the range, so might as well take the plunge and get them. Here's a link.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Sharp shoulder 125 fp. I think T Lee is also using something like this. Maybe he will be along shortly.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with the 158 gr lead. You're not likely to gain enough velocity to expand the 125s. The 158s will penetrate well and make good wound channels. Don't worry about one shot stops. You're not likely to get that from a .38. Just load the 158 gr lead SWCs, keep shooting until your assailant goes down and don't worry about being "cool." The key is marksmanship. Make sure that there are practice sessions at least every two weeks. You're not going to stop anything with a larger caliber gun if you don't hit what you're shooting at. Stress is your enemy, practice is your friend.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Real Hawkeye,

The lead bullets I can get are "rated" at 1200 fps to not cause a leading problem. Seems it would be very difficult to get a bullet to that speed out of a snub 38 at regular pressure.

Would the SWC give severe leading if it were rated for 1200 fps?

I know not much about lead bullets issues.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
158gr Lead in this camp also. I'd be looking at a SWC Hollowpoint.

I'd not want a JHP 158gr

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't worry about leading. A self defense gun is not shot a lot. And for training and practice you can use harder cast bullets. I have shot thousands of 38 spl rounds, and carried one every day for 20 plus years. Have used every type of cast bullet there is, from round nose, which I don't recomend, to the lead semi wadcutters, which are not a bad option, to lead semi wadcutter hollow points, which is what I would recommend. We used the one everybody called the FBI load, a 158 LSWCHP. The ones we used were +P, but there really isn't that much difference in velocity. And leading, even after a long day at the range was not a problem. In plain clothes, I carried a S&W model 10 with a 2" barrel. It worked fine.

I think I would recommend the 158 grain over the 125 grain because the heavier bullet should penetrate better to get into the vitals or spinal column.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Come on T LEE. Advice and jokes needed here!

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I load the Speer swaged lead 158gr SWC Hollowpoint in front of a light load of Unique for the wife's snub. It's still doing 800fps or so.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got to go with #2 Kid to shoot some 4H skeet. Back later to check in on all the expert advice.

Thanks!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Terry is sleeping in this morning. If I remember correctly, what he loads is the 158 grain RNFP that is commonly used in Cowboy Action Shooting. I've shot a pickup truck load of those myself, and wouldn't hesitate to keep a cylinder full of them for ne'er do wells.

I'm also in agreement with Gunner on this. You should be able to load 148 grain full wadcutters and get a very effective self defense round.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Real Hawkeye,

The lead bullets I can get are "rated" at 1200 fps to not cause a leading problem. Seems it would be very difficult to get a bullet to that speed out of a snub 38 at regular pressure.

Would the SWC give severe leading if it were rated for 1200 fps?

I know not much about lead bullets issues.
No, I was speaking specifically about "target wadcutters," which are made of the softest lead. Any other lead round is made of harder lead so as to prevent leading at higher velocities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion only, and I don't have the experience of most here, but I don't much like the idea of hollow points in a somewhat marginal round .

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I load the Speer swaged lead 158gr SWC Hollowpoint in front of a light load of Unique for the wife's snub. It's still doing 800fps or so.

And a cylinder full of those into centre mass would be more than enough to end a violent confrontation. If I still had a 38 Spl, it's what I would do as well.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Buffalo Bore standard vel 158gr swc hp.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavier is my choice in a 38 also - the "FBI" load mentioned is a good choice.

The 38 got a bad rep because so many were used by police, who are in general not good shots, and they missed a lot. The 38 is as good as the 9mm and better than the 380.

I have lots of choices and I still carry a 38 more often than any other pistol.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jac3k
Buffalo Bore standard vel 158gr swc hp.
They also make a hollow-point 158 grain lswc with extra soft lead designed to expand at typical snub barrel velocities.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Heavier is my choice in a 38 also - the "FBI" load mentioned is a good choice.

The 38 got a bad rep because so many were used by police, who are in general not good shots, and they missed a lot. The 38 is as good as the 9mm and better than the 380.

I have lots of choices and I still carry a 38 more often than any other pistol.

And most of the bad rep for stopping power was when just about all cops carried round nosed bullets at standard velocity. These actually worked OK prior to the "war on drugs." Since (and likely due to) the "war on drugs," however, the use of exotic drugs by criminals has increased such that cops were frequently having to shoot assailants all hopped up on them, thus requiring more traumatic wounds (than those typically inflicted by round nosed bullets from .38 Specials) to be stopped.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.