Print Thread
Hop To
S
scouter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone been to the Jicarilla on an elk hunt. If so, would you recommend it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not hunted there, but I have driven through a few times. From what I saw from the roads in the evening, I'd recommend it.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got friends that have hunted it and generally it was a good hunt if you got a good guide. If you got a sorry one that laid out drunk you were just SOL. If there is any problems like that, you can kiss your $ goodbye from all I have heard from some folks that went there.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have never hunted the Jic. but have hunted around it. I would say it depends on what you are looking for in your hunt.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Went there on a Cow hunt several years ago. Everything went well was done by lunch, first day.
At the time, the guides were resident game wardens also.
Saw some very nice bulls.
I do not know how things are now, we had a very good experience back then.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I hunted there in the mid-1990s and shot a 6x6 bull on the third day. It was so long ago that I can't comment on today's conditions.

Bill Quimby

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunted ranches adjacent to the res. Lots of elk. Saw a few decent bulls, none of the big trophies you see in the marketing, though. If they are there, the locals can find them. Talked with one of the tribal wardens at the property boundary one evening. Very nice guy, definitely into shooting and hunting and knew his elk and deer. Never actually been on the res, but would certainly give it try given time and $s.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted the Jicarilla twice. I had a guy that worked for me that was also a guide on the reservation. The first hunt was a cow tag and I bet we saw 400 elk the first 1/2 day.

The second was later the same year for a bull. I only had a weekend and took a 320 bull the first day.

The skinning room with walk in cooler are a nice feature.

1 word of advice. Get references on the guides and CALL them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I hunted a neighboring public land unit 3 years ago that bordered the Hic. Saw elk every day.

Watched a 340+ bull eating in a meadow at 257 yards for 30 minutes. He had several slightly smaller bulls with him.

It's neat country and fairly easy to hunt physically(compared with other trophy elk areas).

If cost is not an issue, there are certainly some big elk in there....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hunted land immediately adjacent once and certainly, it is easy country to hunt in and elk can be tremendous in number. We saw some big ones as well, but did not get a shot on any of them, so settled for smaller bulls. But a great area to hunt and I would love to do it again. That region had really pronounced migrations. If you catch it just right, you could set yourself up to watch 50-100 animals walk on by. I never did catch up to one of those herds but I saw them and gave it my best.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
They used to have a fenced "reserve" not far from Dulce. They may still. Big elk-big money.
When we hunted the Jicarrilla we would pay the guide to stay at the bar but that was in the late 80s. Things have changed at least a little.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The jic has fabulous hunting, but the guide is everything.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted theJicarilla several times. Great elk country. Toughest part of the hunt will be finding the right guide you can count on. They are there for sure but you would be wise to make sure. Kirt Vincenti was who I used each time. If he is still there and guiding I would use him again in a minute. He was only doing part time when I was there last but he is honest, sober, & dependable.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is a little strip of Carson National forest on the west boundary that runs all the way to Colorado.It can be accessed by a road that cuts west about 1/2 way up the reseravtion from the south. Same elk as on the Jicarilla.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From what I've heard it can be a wonderful spot. But the guide situation is way to challenging for me. Way too easy to find a place where one doesn't have to deal with that kind of crapola.

Bottom line, for the ching I'd be looking elsewhere with more consistent guides.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,454 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.