-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just read a story in one of the latest gun Mags.by JB, about shooting game with a Swift.

Good story by the way.

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Every bullet has limitations and shots need to be made according the limitations of the bullet. The key is knowing the limitations, making the shot required, and passing up those shots that the bullet is unsuitable for.

Most of us would be unwilling to live with the limitations of a 22cf when hunting bears, but that does not mean a 22cf is incapable of reliably killing a bear.

Yes, I agree with the theoretic fact that a .22 centerfire (caliber) will kill a brown/grizzly bear. However, I question the choice, as opposed to the happenstance circumstance.

As someone whose (thus far) been responsible for the killing of more than 140 of the beasts, I would definitely question the choice of that caliber over something larger.

But, I would agree with the theory of its (.22 centerfire) capability on brown/grizzly bear when used in controlled (predictable) situations or possibly even a happenstance (sheer luck) chance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Yes, I agree with the theoretic fact that a .22 centerfire (caliber) will kill a brown/grizzly bear. However, I question the choice, as opposed to the happenstance circumstance.

As someone whose (thus far) been responsible for the killing of more than 140 of the beasts, I would definitely question the choice of that caliber over something larger.

But, I would agree with the theory of its (.22 centerfire) capability on brown/grizzly bear when used in controlled (predictable) situations or possibly even a happenstance (sheer luck) chance.
Nothing theoretical about it. I see it regularly. Among the "stunt" shooters is one huntress that has offed 7 of the beasts with her mini-14 (not happenstance and I suggest that 7 of them displays skill rather than luck) and she is confident more will succumb should the opportunity arise...........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 406_SBC

Nothing theoretical about it. I see it regularly. Among the "stunt" shooters is one huntress that has offed 7 of the beasts with her mini-14 (not happenstance and I suggest that 7 of them displays skill rather than luck) and she is confident more will succumb should the opportunity arise...........

You say that "she" killed seven brown/grizzly bears with a .22 centerfire? If so, where did "she" kill those?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

I would think "she" has the opportunity, and wisdom, to choose her shots carefully.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You say that "she" killed seven brown/grizzly bears with a .22 centerfire? If so, where did "she" kill those?
SW Alaska.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SW Alaska.

Just so you know, that out in the bush, particularly with the natives, they tend to lean toward centerfire .22s and .30-30s. Just about every boat or sno-go (in winter)running up and down the Yukon or Koyukuk Rivers has a Mini-14 in it or strapped on it. The younger generation is more into the ARs and SKSs. But they see them and use them as general everyday utility guns for everything from mice to meese and sometimes when necessary, bears.

I've asked several of them over the years why the .22s and they acknowledge they may be small, but they carry a lot of ammo if needed. You almost never see them take a body shot either. They all aim for the head........wastes less meat that way.

Even out here on the AKPEN in big bear country you find most of the rifles being toted by locals are .270 Win or smaller. It's only the outsiders that carry the big boomers.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What would y'all say is about the minimum cartridge for making a frontal headshot on a griz? Would the bullet be prone to graze off the top of the skull rather than crush/penetrate?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You could hunt bear with a CF .22 , but it's overkill ! A .17 HMR is all anybody needs , of course you should use the 17 Gr. bullet too . The 20 Gr. ruins too much meat !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wonder what the bullet was like that broke the bear's shoulder right there and put him on the ground. Sounds like it was a pretty tough bullet.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevelyn
SW Alaska.

Just so you know, that out in the bush, particularly with the natives, they tend to lean toward centerfire .22s and .30-30s. Just about every boat or sno-go (in winter)running up and down the Yukon or Koyukuk Rivers has a Mini-14 in it or strapped on it. The younger generation is more into the ARs and SKSs. But they see them and use them as general everyday utility guns for everything from mice to meese and sometimes when necessary, bears.

I've asked several of them over the years why the .22s and they acknowledge they may be small, but they carry a lot of ammo if needed. You almost never see them take a body shot either. They all aim for the head........wastes less meat that way.

Even out here on the AKPEN in big bear country you find most of the rifles being toted by locals are .270 Win or smaller. It's only the outsiders that carry the big boomers.

Yes, I'm very familiar with rural Alaska and rural weapons preference. I've been a resident - mostly rural - the past five decades.

Anyway, I certainly realize the need for .22 centerfires in rural Alaska, especially where caribou and wolves are available.

In reference to the woman "stunt shooter" who supposedly killed seven brown/grizzly bears with a .22 centerfire, I'll check with Jim Woolington and Bruce Dale and see what they know about that rumored feat.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
You could hunt bear with a CF .22 , but it's overkill ! A .17 HMR is all anybody needs , of course you should use the 17 Gr. bullet too . The 20 Gr. ruins too much meat !

Yu just saved me some money! I was going to buy some 17HMR 20grainers for hunting, but now I won't. wink

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 30 or so years ago a lady who had a ranch a little south of Bozeman heard a disturbance one night in her sheep corral. She grabbed her .22-250 and went out to see what was going on. There were 3 grizzlies killing her sheep, and she killed each with one shot apiece.

I have another friend in Bozeman that hunts and kills a black bear almost every year with his .22-250. Scenarshooter know who he is.

Speaking of Scenarshooter, how many bears have you shot with your .220 Swift Pat?

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buffybr-when I moved to Boze in 78 I met Wild Bill, George Jr and Sr and Pat and they all wore off on me quickly in terms of Swifts and '250's.

[Linked Image]

I called this bruin in away from his lady friend. He turned to follow her 170 yds from me. I hit him with my '250 and a 63 Sierra about where his right love handle would be (probably about where the tallest weed in the picture is at). Bullet exited his Adams apple(about where my right hand under his chin). He ran about 30 and went to Croak City Wyo.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/10/13.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buffybr
About 30 or so years ago a lady who had a ranch a little south of Bozeman heard a disturbance one night in her sheep corral. She grabbed her .22-250 and went out to see what was going on. There were 3 grizzlies killing her sheep, and she killed each with one shot apiece.

I have another friend in Bozeman that hunts and kills a black bear almost every year with his .22-250. Scenarshooter know who he is.

Speaking of Scenarshooter, how many bears have you shot with your .220 Swift Pat?
That's a pretty crazy story about the grizzlies! I didn't know they'd come down low and munch on ranch critters like that...

Dober, that bear is awesome man!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner-it's a good one for sure, too bad the picture didn't do it justice. I suck @ self timed pics and this was b4 I got a digital.

It goes 20 3/16 and was 5.5 years old according to the tooth fairy.

About G-bears. I know a fella who routinely has them messing with his clothes on the laundry line...He also has monster whitey's on his place and a pond chalk full of tortuga's!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The country that pic is taken in is freakin' gorgeous my man. The pic is a pretty good one, by my standards!... grin

I may have to get a spring bear tag and follow you around for a day or three?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If'n I had a case of beer for every offer I've had like that I could easily keep Icebreaker 3 in suds for the weekend... wink

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

You'll love this one Tanman. This is from many many many moons ago....grins

I'm sure that Scenar and Buffy will recognize the hat.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/10/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put my name on the list, even if it's at the bottom... laugh

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.