Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by romeojr
im looking for some h335 powder in 8 lb keg. any body have some for sale without selling my house to get it.

romeojr

Locate a Sportsman's Warehouse, or they can ship it to your closest store.

Our local one has been having H 335 in one pounders and 8 pounders shipped in on a regular basis the last 3 or 4 months.

Same with CFE 223....which I don't use. 1 and 8 pound kegs.

I don't use CFE 223 because it needs a full case to perform best... other powders are more economical... which is important if you shoot a lot. I get roughly 250 rounds or a little less of a pound of CFE. In the varmint fields I shoot other powder that I get 550 plus rounds out of a pound...Unique I get over 700 rounds out of one pound of powder... and those loads are just fine for destroying sage rats out to 300 yds, if you know how to use Kentucky Windage on some of the latter reticles available.

You may not have noticed, but that post was 10 years old. I don't know where he was looking 10 years ago, but I don't remember it being that expensive back then???? Even todays prices won't break the bank:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Love the powder in my 308w though:

Flings those 168 and 175's pretty well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah Lawrence, once in a blue moon, I miss the date of a post...

Guess this was one of them...

But I still don't like H 335 and I still don't use CFE 223, because its not economically efficient.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I was perusing a distant gunshop last week and they had CFE 223 powder for $34.99 a pound (no sales tax in Montana)!
That is rather cost effective - as I have seen it other places for $5.00+ more per pound.
Anyone interested the phone number of the shop is 406-682-4210.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
VG"

Cost effective to me is how much powder you use to get a given velocity.

14 grains of Blue Dot in a 223 will give me 3300 fps....with a 40 grain V Max.

29 grains of CFE 223 might give me a little more, at over twice the amount of grains of powder...

so I get 500 rounds of ammo per a pound of powder....29 grains of CFE will give me less than 250 rounds per pound of powder.

I know you'll concede 500 rounds per pound of powder, stretches out the varmint budget more than just < 250 rounds per pound of powder, especially at current prices and availability. Which one is more cost effective is obvious.

Its also a lot more easier on barrel life, and extra bonus... along with even lighter recoil, allowing one to see your hits in the scope without using sight picture due to recoil...

Explains why I have multiple 223s with 25 to 30,000 rounds down the bore, and can still deliver minute of sage rat out to 250 yds....

9 grains of Unique is even more of an economical good thing.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
VG"

Cost effective to me is how much powder you use to get a given velocity.

14 grains of Blue Dot in a 223 will give me 3300 fps....with a 40 grain V Max.

29 grains of CFE 223 might give me a little more, at over twice the amount of grains of powder...

so I get 500 rounds of ammo per a pound of powder....29 grains of CFE will give me less than 250 rounds per pound of powder.

I know you'll concede 500 rounds per pound of powder, stretches out the varmint budget more than just < 250 rounds per pound of powder, especially at current prices and availability. Which one is more cost effective is obvious.

Its also a lot more easier on barrel life, and extra bonus... along with even lighter recoil, allowing one to see your hits in the scope without using sight picture due to recoil...

Explains why I have multiple 223s with 25 to 30,000 rounds down the bore, and can still deliver minute of sage rat out to 250 yds....

9 grains of Unique is even more of an economical good thing.

Makes sense. I know where a shop is that has 2 8 pound kegs of blue dot. It's a very small shop, that does not get many people. I ended up buying longshot there a month ago, since I have not seen that powder for a while anywhere. Good deals too. Same with the bullets they had. They had some 6mm 85gr partitions for $33/box.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Blue Dot doesn't come in 8 lb kegs, unless its a new move by Alliant. I haven't seen it.

Their 5 lb keg, now only contains 4 pounds.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Seafire

What’s your favorite bolt action .223 rifle?

Inquiring minds want to know smile cool

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got Bolt Actions that I like and none that I don't like...because of the latter I wouldn't have bought them.

Price was always on sale or a good deal.... I shoot a lot of 223 rounds..

have one AR, never shot it.. bought it when Trump got into office, price dropped from $969 under Obummer to $369 under Trump... only reason I have it...

Thanks for he TCM work you sent to me.. I was out chronographing some of my own this morning.. when I get more done, I'll share with you my friend...

thanks.,

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by lanenebraska
Seafire

What’s your favorite bolt action .223 rifle?

Inquiring minds want to know smile cool

Thought about this a little more... If I had to pick one of mine I like better than most of the others...

Model 70 Featherweight in 223.....Feed it Blue Dot loads like most of my other 223s for the varmint fields.

The Featherweight has taken a couple of black tails over the years...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Blue Dot doesn't come in 8 lb kegs, unless its a new move by Alliant. I haven't seen it.

Their 5 lb keg, now only contains 4 pounds.
That’s good to know. They looked like 8 pound kegs. Didn’t look closely though. It’s in older jugs. Keeping in mind, I buy my schidt at different places than a lot of you guys do. I actually get out and check all the little mom and pop shops. I know some of the new shotgun powders are sold in 12 oz instead of 1 pound. That’s a load of schidt huh? My buddy was complaining about that the other day.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like BLC2 better, AR Comp better. CFE can be a pain in the but when you change from it to another powder. Often causes accuracy issues for a number of shots and I have never thought it was the best for accuracy in any 223.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good powder, I think it works better in the 204 Ruger and 308 win vs. a 223 Rem. Haven't seen any weird accuracy problems with it in those cartridges, but never could get excellent accuracy in my 223's with it. Pretty much gave up on it, until I bought a 204 last year. It gave sub moa 10 shot groups pretty easily:

I also have 2 308's that love it. However, I think one of them prefers IMR8208XBR. YMMV.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I haven’t tried it in the 308 yet. I’ll hve to give it a go soon.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I haven’t tried it in the 308 yet. I’ll hve to give it a go soon.

It has been a few years so I don't remember the details, but a shooting range acquaintance was logging some impressive speeds with 168 grain Berger Classic Hunters out of a Rem 700 VTR which has an effective barrel length of 20".

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My boys 7mm 08 loves CFE223

MOLON LABE
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 33 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.