Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This was my first rifle with what seemed like a long heavier barrel. Very accurate shooter with a great trigger. Whatever happened to it I don't remember.

Anyone else have one of these?

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Still have a 69a which is same basic rifle with a clip feed instead of the tube mag. Neat guns for sure.

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right. Mine had the tubular magazine and was topped with a 4x Weaver scope.

Weaver scopes were THE thing back then. Sweet memories.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had one and gave it to my cousin. EXCELLENT Shooter! Bought and sold a few of them when I was in the gun biz...a nice one goes for $400 now...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
One of the only Winchesters Ive ever sold , mine would not feed like it should and I had a couple real gunsmiths work on it , last one cured it for about 25 rounds.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Redhill: I used to be a "big" collector of Winchester 22 rimfire Rifles.
I had a bunch of them but decided to trade them off for money and or pre-64 Model 70's. I did pretty well trading them off but could NOT bring myself to trade away all my Model 72's, 75's and 69's. I kept 3 of the Model 72's including a "Target Model" 72 (with peep/receiver sights).
The 72's indeed had (have) long barrels IIRC they are 25" long and meaty - not quite heavy barrels but meaty.
I have shot more Model 69's than Model 72's but have done quite a bit with each.
I never had any feeding problems with my various Model 72's - but I do not recall shooting any shorts or longs in any of them just the long rifles.
I hope you can remember what happeend to that Model 72 of yours and you retrieve it - or you find another Model 72 to replace it.
They are nifty and good shooting little Rifles.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very nice rifles, 69's, 72's. 75's, 52's.
I especially liked the tube fed 72's. Loved the way the 69's and 72;s "came up" for me.
I will add the 63's even though a semi- auto, and prolly an "ASS SALT" weapon.
Cisco

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Redhill: I used to be a "big" collector of Winchester 22 rimfire Rifles.
I had a bunch of them but decided to trade them off for money and or pre-64 Model 70's. I did pretty well trading them off but could NOT bring myself to trade away all my Model 72's, 75's and 69's. I kept 3 of the Model 72's including a "Target Model" 72 (with peep/receiver sights).
The 72's indeed had (have) long barrels IIRC they are 25" long and meaty - not quite heavy barrels but meaty.
I have shot more Model 69's than Model 72's but have done quite a bit with each.
I never had any feeding problems with my various Model 72's - but I do not recall shooting any shorts or longs in any of them just the long rifles.
I hope you can remember what happeend to that Model 72 of yours and you retrieve it - or you find another Model 72 to replace it.
They are nifty and good shooting little Rifles.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You are quite right about that barrel on the 72A. It seemed somewhat like a middleweight bull barrel with a taper and as you mentioned long too. I didn't realize it was at the 25" mark but it does make sense now.

I ran all the .22lr offerings through mine. From shorts to longs to long rifles. I remember as a wee lad buying a box of 22shorts for 55 cents a box and I would buy those when I didn't have the funds for the more expensive stuff. Later on as I got older I shot only long rifles through it when I put that Weaver scope on it to have to only allow for Kentucky windage on one type of ammo. I don't think I ever bought a carton of 500 rounds at a time as it just didn't seem to be the code of the West at the time and this was before most of the .22 autos worked consistently enough for the bargain buyer. It was before the 10/22 came out and that really changed things around.

These days I have a very good idea of how many rounds our 10/22's have put through them and having put around 6-7 of them together with bull barrels and Hogue stocks, it is surprising how our sons have burned through the ammo. We had 4 sons that all hunted and I would buy a case 5,000 rounds of 22 ammo in the spring and hope that it made it through the summer, usually it didn't. One 10/22 had almost 20,000 rounds through it and it is still going strong with one of our sons.

I don't know how many rounds I put through that 72A but I spent every available hour out in the field with it for at least 12-14 years. I could hit things with that shooter that were impressive but now remember those clear youthful teenage eyes. I remember that the safety on it kept coming out of function and I learned quickly how to adjust it back into place. I also refinished the stock twice and now would probably cry to see how lousy my handiwork on it would be.

The chances of ever getting it back are fleeting and I can't remember even when I sold it. Probably when I got a FFL and was wheeling and dealing firearms like a big shot. If I found one today I don't think I would buy it. It most likely wouldn't match up and I certainly don't match up to yesteryear and it could be a disappointment. Those pleasant memories of fantastic days afield are probably better keep in the recesses of my memory and each time I recall them.....the distances seem longer and the misses fewer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had one, shot pretty good. It did have more of a barrel than it really needed. My safes got too full at one point and it went down the road with some others.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was exclusively a M-69 shooter for 50 years until a few years ago I moved to Central Oregon and discovered sage rats. After a few episodes of loading 600-700 rounds through the 5-shot clip I switched to a M-72 and love it. Haven't shot many shorts in it but the few I did cycled through it just fine. One of the finest and affordable 22 shooters out there IMHO. Hope you find another one.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.