Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know I'll get some good answers here. Base your answer on a hunter knife, opening big game, sharpness,and edge holding quality. I've never had a custom knife and just recently started entertaining the idea.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
there are so many good choices these days it's hard to narrow it down. For a general purpose knife that has a great balance between edge holding and ease of sharpening in the field, it's very hard to beat 154CM, or ATS34. My new personal favorite is Elmax. It will hold an edge longer than damned near any stainless out there except a few of the super exotics and has toughness qualities that allow it to compete with some of the best carbon steels out there. I build all my personal knives out of elmax. Honestly you will hear it repeated constantly but edge geometry and heat treat are more important factors than the steel. I would take 440c with a proper heat treat and a good grind over the highest end super exotics that were ground badly or poorly heat treated.

Last edited by mtnman1; 03/15/13.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
as dale stresses, heattreat done poorly makes a dog of a knife even if its a true super steel. as a user of many older & also the newest powder steels i have had experience with many of carbon & stainless alloys. i've noticed many younger users prefer no stain blades; since i'm older than god i have no problem with carbon alloys. i grew up before s.s. was used on guns & most knives. if a person is not experienced with heavy duty knife usage; they might opt for 3v or even newer 4v. these alloys are super tuff & have exceptional edge holding. elmax at present seems to be the best alloy for long edge holding, stainless, & certainly the most tuff at sideloads of all the 3rd gen. powder alloys.one big advantage of elmax is for hunters in washington & oregon areas is you need not worry about the continual rain during hunting season. the last 5 or 6 years have brought out stainless alloys that actually hold edges longer than most carbon steels. you do give up some tuffness when opting for s.s. but knives not used as axes or machetes need not be a worry to a sensible hunter.---cranky72

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As noted above which steel is used is not the only or most important issue with performance in the field.
I would suggest you buy from a reasonably reputable maker (there are quite a few right here) and focus more on the knife design and how well it will meet your working requirements.
They can tell you of the specifics of the steels and process they use. If you follow their suggestions, you will most likely be extremely happy with your new acquisition.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Glock2240
I know I'll get some good answers here. Base your answer on a hunter knife, opening big game, sharpness,and edge holding quality. I've never had a custom knife and just recently started entertaining the idea.
Tim

You will likely find not all steels are offered by a knife maker and will have those steels the maker is familiar with offered. First pick out the pattern you desire then contact the knife maker of your choice and give him a call, expect to be asked for your planned uses and ask for his suggestions. Working with the knife maker on the design is one of the joys in getting a custom knife .

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of super steels out there, and if you are looking for low maintenance then one of the SS might be the way to go i.e. Elmax, CPM-154, etc...

However, you might want to consider a good carbon steel for ease of sharpening as well. It will require a little more maintenance in the way of oiling and such, but hard to go wrong with a good carbon.

My personal recommendation for a skinner would be 52100.

Last edited by Mink; 03/15/13.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
154cm hands down is the best steel for hunting use

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I opted for a Dozier Modified Personal, should be here in a week to 10 days. I'll post pictures when it arrives.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

Rick,
Here is one of yours (Ivory Trapper) made from 154cm. I'm BUMMED it sold!! I love this knife!!

http://www.menefeeknives.com/ivory-trapper.html

Eric
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
wish a had 100 of that pattern. They would all sell
Originally Posted by EricM

Rick,
Here is one of yours (Ivory Trapper) made from 154cm. I'm BUMMED it sold!! I love this knife!!

Eric
[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No mention of D-2?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wish a had 100 of that pattern. They would all sell
Originally Posted by EricM

Rick,

Eric
[Linked Image]

No doubt, it's a sharp looking knife and great pattern! I'd like a clone of this knife!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
154CM is great. There are others 1095,L6,W2,A2 these can rust if left unattended.
Some people make this a big point, I don't know about you,but when ever I come in from hunting I go over my gear, dry it down if it needs it, and give it a light coat of oil if it needs it. It is just something I do without exception so the carbon steels are fine with me.
There are some new crucible steels out there that have some promise to have better edge retention. BG42,CPMD2,3v.
I must admit that I am just now learning that blade geometry plays a pretty big role in how the knife performs. Must admit that I am also becoming a big fan of Convex grinds.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by guy57
No mention of D-2?

The Dozier that will be shipped tomorrow is D2.
Tim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have wonderful knives made from a variety of steel. A2, D2, O1, 440C, S30V, CPM 154, ATS34, S3V, INFI, and others.
Not a dog among 'em. All the blades came from reputable custom makers, or from higher end production companies.
As Tim alluded to, while the steel is important, it is not the only factor. Who makes it, their ability to heat treat and grind, and how well the end user cares for the knife, are all important.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by j2dogs
154CM is great. There are others 1095,L6,W2,A2 these can rust if left unattended.
Some people make this a big point, I don't know about you,but when ever I come in from hunting I go over my gear, dry it down if it needs it, and give it a light coat of oil if it needs it. It is just something I do without exception so the carbon steels are fine with me...

I try my best to keep my gear in good condition but have been on several hunts where it rained most days, my gear got wet, and I was mighty glad it was mostly stainless. My point being, one should consider what type of hunting they are planning and factor this into their choice of steel. Then there was the time I watched my hunting partner dig a tent pad with his A2 custom made blade, had a pocket knife rust in my pocket during a day's hunt, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Glock2240
Originally Posted by guy57
No mention of D-2?

The Dozier that will be shipped tomorrow is D2.
Tim

You are not going to be disappointed in the Dozier D2. D2 is an excellent material and Dozier gets the best from it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by j2dogs
Some people make this a big point, I don't know about you,but when ever I come in from hunting I go over my gear, dry it down if it needs it, and give it a light coat of oil if it needs it. It is just something I do without exception so the carbon steels are fine with me...

I try my best to keep my gear in good condition but have been on several hunts where it rained most days, my gear got wet, and I was mighty glad it was mostly stainless. My point being, one should consider what type of hunting they are planning and factor this into their choice of steel. Then there was the time I watched my hunting partner dig a tent pad with his A2 custom made blade, had a pocket knife rust in my pocket during a day's hunt, etc.

I can only go by my own experience. Here in Ky. I have spent many a day from dawn to dusk in rain. When I first started hunting rain gear was poor to say the least. Maybe why I have not experienced rust on my high carbon knives is I like to force a patina,this acts like gun blue and keeps surface spot rust form occurring temporarly, that and a light coat of oil has kept mine, in what my friend from Wyoming called my area as sub tropical in the summer. lol

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
j2 has a good point as to forced patinas for carbon alloys in tropical climes. i usually do white vinegar on my user gecs & have'nt had rust pitting.spent a year on okinawa & phillipines & we had no rust but all equipment had to be oiled every 2 days. even our shoe soles had to be buffed daily.[ the dress shoes at bottom of foot lockers]. more maintenance but as you know marines were used to staying busy.---cranky72

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I live in Florida, with not only lots of rain, but lots of salt from the Ocean and Gulf, high humidity and heat.
Even so, with some basic care, you can keep your carbon steel blades rust free. In the safe, they are lightly oiled. In the field, they are wiped down with a very lightly oiled cloth. I keep a small piece of oiled cloth in a zip loc bag.
There are several hundred knives, of various sizes and shapes in the house. The only ones that show any ill effects are some French carbon steel kitchen knives. I think they look good with a bit of patina.

Sam......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.