Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What I don't get is why the 22 rim fire is hard to come by, granted there is hoarding. The ammo that has been used in these tragic shootings have been .223 and handgun center fire stuff. That would be where a Federal ban would target first, not 22's.

It does look like there has been binge buying of other shooting stuff, but odd that you cannot buy 22's at all unless you wanted to be gouged. The black powder balls seem to be under pressure too, but I can order some if I need to.

How is the production of the foreign brands going, like Sellier and Bellot or Aguilla? Have they upped their manufacture rate?

BP-B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have three 525 round federal bulk packs.

I might be selling them as I have to buy hijgh priced ammo for a trip to thunder Ranch ($1200 per thousand).

Price is up for everyone. That same ammo was $750 last year.

Pm if interested.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by avagadro

Central Jersey (what exit?) must be the discount 22 capitol of the US, if you think that is high. When I was buying Std Vel CCI, that was close to normal price 2 years ago from WalMart. $6 per 100 was normal.

No exit really, its not on the eastern corridor where all of the "parkway" exits are. SR is in Flemington NJ. Route 31. south of route 78 and north of rt 206.

I cringed paying $30/brick...

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Central Jersey (what exit?) ....

lol, I just saw you arent from NJ , so you are really not interested in where it is!

I am none too bright today.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
None to be found in my area. Sucks for my 14 year old as he got a Smith and Wesson M&P for Christmas. Santa also brought a few bulk packs but they won't last much longer. Funny, I had the idea to get plenty of 25 round mags (5) but didn't get a good supply of ammo.

I think things will catch up, although it might be awhile.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Colorado stores are out of .22 LR. What comes in is quickly bought. . Surplusammo has some and selling for 3x what it should be selling for. They raised the price twice in one day. I will never buy a thing from them. I am now able to find the upper end ammo like Lapua and Eley Tenex online. And that is a good sign. Things should be back to normal in a few months. It's the lower end ammo that is hard to find.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by LostHighway
... I will never buy a thing from them. .....

It's the lower end ammo that is hard to find.

So in you opinion, is $30 a brick something that you'd consider so high that you wouldnt go back to the store?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Central Jersey (what exit?) must be the discount 22 capitol of the US, if you think that is high. When I was buying Std Vel CCI, that was close to normal price 2 years ago from WalMart. $6 per 100 was normal.

No exit really, its not on the eastern corridor where all of the "parkway" exits are. SR is in Flemington NJ. Route 31. south of route 78 and north of rt 206.

I cringed paying $30/brick...

I would cringe if I had to pay $30 for a brick of Fed Bulk.
I would willingly buy CCI Std. Vel. for $30/brick ... it a step or two up on the quality ladder.
I would happily pay $30 for a brick of Wolf Match.
I would eagerly pay $30/brick for higher end Eley.

Seriously $30/brick for CCI Std. Vel. is a decent price, esp in this day and age!! It would be 50% high or CCI Blazer.

Good Luck!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
There is still none to be had around here. I am stocked up and not really shopping, but I went in a local shop the other day just looking at guns in general and someone else at the counter was looking for .22 ammo. The guy at the store told him a couple of weeks ago they got 175,000 rounds of the CCI (mostly Blazer, I think). He said that amount usually lasts 4 to 6 months (I live in a small town). They limited purchases to one brick per customer and sold out in 3 days.

Things are still crazy around here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Snowwolfe: There is NO 22 L.R. ammunition available in SW Montana - dittoes for the many shops and stores I have checked in the last month in Idaho and Washington states.
My friend needed some money last week and he took 12 bulk packs (525 rounds each) of Remington hollow-point ammo into our local pawn/sport shop put a price of $40.00 on each pack and it sold out in less than 8 hours of shop time (last 4 hours of one day and the first four hours of the next day!).
My friend admits to $24.00 profit on each pack and wishes he had asked for more money on each pack.
I have no trust in the Remington 525 bulk pack ammo anymore or I would have bought a carton or two from him for myself!
Other than that "short" appearance of the 22 Remington bulk packs I have seen NO 22 ammo in at least 20 stores I have been to, in three states, recently.
I think it is going to get a bit worse before it gets better!
And that is a shame.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Should have travelled to SE Montana, specifically Hardin, Montana!
I gave up on the city I live in and took a chance and went for a drive hunting for .22lr
That's where i picked up this haul, I was so sick of seeing nothing I bought more than usual from one store just last weekend.
The funny thing is that i didn't even come close to cleaning them out, and they were still actually discounting for bulk purchases (over 500 rounds) and encouraging large sales.
Note: None of this is for sale, I can provide a name/details of the shop to those who might want to attempt a drive to get your own.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
From all my visits to the local gun/ammo retailers in Austin, I have not seen any .22 RF for sale since December. I needed reloading powder for my rifles and went to McBrides Guns in Austin, TX yesterday. I remember from 2009 that the owner jacks up the prices, and he did not deviate this year either in regards to the cost.

I have been avoiding the gun shops the last few months due to the feeding frenzy and crowds, but I am seeing this sort of thing is calming down now.

He did have 4 boxes (50 rd boxes) of some kind of premium .22 Federal brand ammo for sale. Each was priced at "$24.99". I think that is the most money ever asked for .22 RF ammo. He did have my powder at regular prices, got a can. He had no primers, or bullets in .224 either. Handgun ammo was mostly .38 specials, out of the other stuff. No one seemed interested in the $24.99 rimfire ammo, which does show that there are limits to what people will pay.

Last edited by HE112; 02/24/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I too have basically avoided gun shops and gun shows since the incident in Dec. By coincidence I was making a regular telephone order for a few things the day of or the day after Sandy Hook, not realizing that the panic buying was kicking in. After taking my order, the nice lady said after a pause, "that's it?" Not in the normal way, but as if to say "that's ALL your getting?"
The floodgates were bursting as we spoke. I don't really NEED anything and could probably get by with what I have the rest of my shooting days. But that's not to say there aren't some different components I'd like to get.
Regular shipments are bought up as soon as they come in, and folks not finding what they want are now buying anything that's available, like shotgun shells and hunting centerfire ammo.
Whoever would have though America would run out of rimfire ammo? Most people are used to just buying what they need as they need it. As long as it's on the shelf why spend the money?
The federal bulk packs of 22 never recovered here after the panic buying of the first election, as they came in, they went out. Fortunately I didn't think like most.
How long will this last? It will all depend on how hard sub-zero decides to push his agenda. But I don't forsee things getting back to what you could call "normal" for a long time, at least until regime change in DC.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This sort of thing sort of galls my chaps and I cant help but wish bad things for the hoarders and speculators. There is no doubt that production will eventually catch up but like the last time when the price of a brick of shells went from around $12 to $18 I expect $30 will become the norm for the promo stuff and higher for the other stuff and everyone will be bit-hing about Obama when in reality we did it to ourselves

Last edited by bangeye; 02/27/13.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I found a fair amount this evening at a lil one man shop i visit now and then. Fed gold match, pmc match,rem gold,thunderbolt,cyclone,wildcat,win555 etc. He set a 2 box limit. I only bought 1 50rd box of pmc match. Paid 3 bucks for it, and .50 of that was a tip. I already have 5 flavors to try in my new to me 880sq. Hopefully it likes something cheap...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Supplies getting any better in the lower 48?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Supplies getting any better in the lower 48?

no, er body is still going ape schit about .22 ammo. I am finding reloading components to be somewhat easier to find, however.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not in my area but online....I can't believe I paid $5.50 a box for target ammo last night. I bought 1000 rounds of it to shoot in my new CZ's. I have plenty of plinking ammo just wanted to try this so went for it.

If anyone is interestd here is a link.
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/ammo/eley-target-22lr-ammunition.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's actually a good price for that ammo. ... My CZ loves it.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stumpman
Not in my area but online....I can't believe I paid $5.50 a box for target ammo last night. I bought 1000 rounds of it to shoot in my new CZ's. I have plenty of plinking ammo just wanted to try this so went for it.

If anyone is interestd here is a link.
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/ammo/eley-target-22lr-ammunition.html

I picked up two bricks too.I have a new 453 on lawaway.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
bulkammo.com has it but you're going to pay for it and you have to keep checking the site multiple times throughout the day. Right before the panic I could walk into wally world & get a 325 round box of Federal Auto-Match for 14 bucks a box/4 cents a round. Last week I got 5K rounds of Centurion 40gr solid (Aguila) for $695/14 cents a round at bulkammo.com. This morning at about 8am the same ammo was $735. At 10am they were out of stock. At lunch they had 5 boxes & an hour later that was gone.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.