Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am going to get back into bow hunting this year and I am trying to decide if I want to get a new release or go with a 3 finger glove. this is an old PsE phaser2 compound bow. thoughts? tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pumpgun, I am the first to be guilty of not trying new stuff. I hate to lug yet another piece of hardware into the woods. But the first time I tried a release, well, my archery changed forever. There is simply no comparison.
<br>
<br>Get a Scott and be done with it. The release is as superior to fingers as a fine rifle trigger is to using a wicklock while you have mittens on. The control of the shot is many times better. You can practice till you're worn out without arrow placement changing due to finger fatigue. This is one invention that is equal to the hype.
<br>
<br>Example: I shoot a left-handed bow. Some years ago, after not shooting a bow for a few seasons, I helped a friend get started in archery. He got set up with a release. I tried his bow, with his release, shooting righthanded. I shot about as well as I did at my best using fingers with my old bow. I was blown away.
<br>
<br>Be advised that you'll have to get your bow set up for the release. I use a kisser button with a nock above and below the arrow. You may have to adjust your peep, because your string-torque is going to go to zero, causing your peep to misalign if you set it up adjusted for your fingers. Then your sights may have to be adjusted. Also, I don't use a seperate string loop to hook the release to--I hook it right to the string. My bow pro told me it would be easier to tune. Since it hasn't needed to be tuned since, I believe him.
<br>
<br>Except for the release itself, this is cheap hardware. After using one, I find the small cost of a release a laughable expense when compared to the benefit. It makes for a fine shoot, and really makes follow-through with the string hand a breeze.
<br>
<br>Good luck, Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd have to vote for fingers. While there is no question about the precision of shooting with a release, one seldom needs that level of precision when hunting. If you get a release, you might as well get two. Sooner or later you will drop or lose the one you've got. In cold weather, with thick gloves, they're more difficult to manage. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. The more stuff you've got, the better chance of something going wrong. I haven't lost my fingers yet (fortunately).

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
well guys I fell to the power of the dark side and went with a release. they set my old bow up for the release and moved my peepsight. got new sights. we will see how it all goes. I must admit the tru-ball release really is smooth. it is a wrist strap release buck so I better not lose it since it will be on my wrist. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.