Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got an unexpected email yesterday from this outfit that said, "thank you for your purchase Antiviral Factory 2013!"

Except I never ordered/purchased a thing from this company.. Quickly called my bank and card company and sure enough, there's a $49++ charge on my business card.. I'll be in the bank this am filling out a dispute form.. I've already cancelled the card (within an hour of receiving the email)...

Anyone ever heard of this outfit? Experiences? Complaint resolutions?

I've emailed now three times to their 'support' site requesting immediate action on cancelling this alleged order and getting a refund.. No answer yet this am.. Tried calling twice and (of course) the 'mailbox is full and cannot accept messages' (how convenient!!)

mad

If I don't hear something back by noon I'll be filling out a complaint form at the NY Division of Consumer Protection... (first step), then go on from there if necessary..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did a quick google on them, and their web site is new, and hosted in Ukraine. Sure sounds like a scam to me. It would be interesting to know how they got your card number.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I did a quick google on them, and their web site is new, and hosted in Ukraine.
Oh swell..
Sure sounds like a scam to me.
Me too..
It would be interesting to know how they got your card number.
Me too..

Only thing I could see was that they were supposedly in Lawrence NY!?!

Antiviral-Factory.com � Antivirus Software, LLC. 289 Burnside Avenue , lawrence, NY 11559

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Here's some info for other prospective targets..

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/antiviral-factory.com

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No antiviral here, but in January someone charged over $300 worh of items to my card at a sewing company in NJ. Discover let it go through, but they caught a $1 charge two years earlier and called me. They dropped the charge as soon as I called and cancelled the card ASAP. I refuse to activate the new card they sent me, as I hardly use my Discover card anyways.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I went to the bank at 9 am and they indicated they won't dispute anything under $50., which is most likely why the scammer used the amount just under..

Bank credited my account and wrote off the charge.. Bummer all the way around, but at least I got it handled..

Anyhoo - everybody check your accounts daily for any indication of fraud charges..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id be worried HOW they got your banking info. Its nice the bank took care of the charge, but that doesnt help that this was fraud! Proper paper work from the police dept would be on my desk and being filled out, and a call placed with the FTC. Id also pull reports from the 3 major Credit bureaus and might even put a fraud alert on all 3. The bank took care of it, but from the sounds of it, arent doing anything to prevent it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got to think the company itself isn't wholly to blame, otherwise why would they send an email out if they were the ones stealing your credit card data?

And if it was somebody else buying it, why put in your actual email address rather than a fake one? The goal here is to keep you from knowing you were charged until they get the goods.

This is odd..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Got to think the company itself isn't wholly to blame, otherwise why would they send an email out if they were the ones stealing your credit card data?

And if it was somebody else buying it, why put in your actual email address rather than a fake one? The goal here is to keep you from knowing you were charged until they get the goods.

This is odd..
Odd indeed, and I had the same question - 'why would they send an email sayin' I bought something'??? It didn't make sense..

Originally Posted by pahick
Id be worried HOW they got your banking info. Its nice the bank took care of the charge, but that doesnt help that this was fraud! Proper paper work from the police dept would be on my desk and being filled out, and a call placed with the FTC. Id also pull reports from the 3 major Credit bureaus and might even put a fraud alert on all 3. The bank took care of it, but from the sounds of it, aren't doing anything to prevent it again.

I've got Lifelock - and they checked right away this am but found nothing.. Not much the bank can really do.. I had them immediately cancel the card and will be issued a new one with a new number (obviously), to arrive here in about 4-5 days...

Cops won't do diddly for a measly $50.. I will check with the FTC though... never thought of that one.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The follow up to these type of scams is that they often down load "antivirus" software on your PC which is actually a virus..They inform you about finding the "virus" and then tell you it can be removed for another fee..

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
The follow up to these type of scams is that they often down load "antivirus" software on your PC which is actually a virus..They inform you about finding the "virus" and then tell you it can be removed for another fee..
Yep.. I wasn't stupid enough to begin the 'software download'... I can just imagine what THAT would have been ... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
K
I too got an email from Antiviral Factory. Upon reading about your experience, I looked into my card activity. One of my cards had a $49.95 charge under the name "EZ Secure". Filed a complaint and getting my cards replaced. I find it curious that they emailed me to notify me of a bogus charge, and even more strange - I rarely ever make online purchases. Thanks for the heads up though.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kevlupo1121
I too got an email from Antiviral Factory. Upon reading about your experience, I looked into my card activity. One of my cards had a $49.95 charge under the name "EZ Secure". Filed a complaint and getting my cards replaced. I find it curious that they emailed me to notify me of a bogus charge, and even more strange - I rarely ever make online purchases. Thanks for the heads up though.
Yep. that's exactly what I got..

Who did you file the complaint with? Did you try to call, and did you get the 'mailbox is full' routine?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Pete E
Yep.. I wasn't stupid enough to begin the 'software download'... I can just imagine what THAT would have been ... eek

When you do the download they get control of your computer. I had it happen while on the phone with these pukes. While I was trying to understand his broken English I saw my files opening and my cursor zipping all around my monitor going from one file to another. I immediately pulled the plug on my computer and hung the phone up.

K
K
No, when i heard the website was Ukrainian i didn't even bother visiting it. I filed a complaint with my card company and my credit union.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I did a quick google on them, and their web site is new, and hosted in Ukraine. Sure sounds like a scam to me. It would be interesting to know how they got your card number.

I think I liked those former Soviet republics better when they were still commies before they were taken over the various mafiyas.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
K
K
I'm wondering if perhaps this is related to my most recent purchase online through Cabella's. I can't think of anywhere else I've used my card recently. Any ideas?

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
No ideas.. The card of mine in question is only used for my business contacts, parts vendors and suppliers like Brownells.. It's possible that one of these places got hacked and their clients' info was swiped..

Bummer all around..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
C
I know this subject is a few months old but...

I noticed some other folks inquiring about the Antiviral-factory earlier in March this year. The only common denominator is that they were all customers of online hunting/shooting suppliers.

I received an email July 11 2013 sent to the custom fowarding address (stagarmsmy internet domain) I created for dealing with Stagarms.com. It was a receipt and thank you for purchasing an antiviral software package from the antiviral-factory.com. Further checking revealed a pending charge on my card for the software in the amount of $51.57.

The email was traced back to the Ukraine. According to my credit union the cc charge was initiated in China.

Bottom line is the Stagarms customer database appears to have been compromised. The email address Stagarms has on file for me was known only to Stagarms.

I called Stagarms and explained the issue to one of their marketing people who said he would turn it over to their IT group and inform the owner. I have yet to hear anything on the subject.

If you have dealt directly with Stagarms then keep a close eye on your cc charges.

I immediately canceled my card and filed a report so I am safe.

This is the second compromised company I have detected with the custom email addresses. The first was an Oregon based company I did some R&D work for. The owner hired a forensic IT investigator and found they had been hit 4 months before. They had no clue until I called them.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.