-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The come alongs have a very limited lenght to pull up the cable. Maybe 2 to 3 feet, then it must be unhooked and cable pulled back out and reset to pull again.

Single cable pull come-a-long will reach 10 or 12 feet

http://www.mytoolstore.com/app/18600.html

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
The come alongs have a very limited lenght to pull up the cable. Maybe 2 to 3 feet, then it must be unhooked and cable pulled back out and reset to pull again.

May be yours, but mine was a double pull. none of this 10/12 stuff.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
The come along have a very limited lenght to pull up the cable. Maybe 2 to 3 feet, then it must be unhooked and cable pulled back out and reset to pull again.

Appoligies
Just wanted the OP to know his options, as I own/use both kinds.
Single is plenty to pull a deer or elk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got it-------------
OP your PU has a square hole in each corner?
Get one 3 foot piece of square tubing that will fit in a front square hole. Mount a boat winch to near the top of this pipe. When your ready to get the deer inside your truck, just drop the winch and square tubing into which ever front hole you like and winch him up.
Boat winches have a long reach and are cheap.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wtxj
The come along have a very limited lenght to pull up the cable. Maybe 2 to 3 feet, then it must be unhooked and cable pulled back out and reset to pull again.

Appoligies
Just wanted the OP to know his options, as I own/use both kinds.
Single is plenty to pull a deer or elk

No big deal, I don't use them very much, so I'm not smart in buying one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This system looks kind of slow, but I think might be better than a come-along for the OP..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have your ATV then you could loop the rope over a tree or through a pulley attached to the bed of your truck. Then attach it to the deer and your ATV. Backup and pull the deer forwards into the back of your truck.

Last edited by ConradCA; 03/23/13.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly hunt alone, so has been an issue over the years, and now getting fairly old, so retrieving and loading deer and elk can be daunting at times. Long before these new and handy hitch or truck mounted winches/hoists, etc., I used a come-along many times. Cheap and easy to carry/use. Often need a long/strong rope in conjunction. For final loading, have used a tree branch as the pivot - hoist the game and back the vehicle under.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BLRNut
Siskiyous6:

Thanks for the reply. With a daughter like me I know you Walk Daily in my shoes. I had polio when I was 9 months old, so I have grown up with my situation. Due to the Shriners taking care of me (4 surgeries, a year of physical and occupational therapy, and education) I have been able to live a very wonderful life. Till I injured my good shoulder I fished about 100 days a yr. but my shoulder can't take the repeated trauma any more of casting about 30 times an hour bass fishing.
I looked into setting up an electric winch in the bed of the truck but decided against it due to the need of an extra battery and fastening the winch to the bed floor of the pick up.

My question to you is concerning your comment that a "come-a-long" is a 2 hand operation. I have never used one before and would appreciate any other info you care to give me.

Once again Thanks
BLRNut

Come a longs are built cheap, a brand new one will be sort of manageable one handed, though getting the cable pulled out will be tough, as it wears out soon - you will find it impossible to do - they also twist as you take a strain on them, to counter the twisting is a two handed operation, and they don't have a lot of levearage either.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We usually cut an animal up where it falls anymore. Small pieces don't hurt your back like large pieces.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have, and have used for over 40 years, both a 1 ton "stamped" steel come-a-long (like pictured in an earlier reply), and a heavy duty cast iron 2 ton model. I usually carry the HD one in my truck when I know I'll be off maintained roads. I've used it many times to pull out stuck vehicles.

I've used the smaller one for many years to hang deer, elk, and antelope in my shed. I've also used it several times to load dead horses into my truck.

After a snowstorm couple of weeks ago, an 11,000 lb dual wheel delivery truck slid off the neighbors road, and I used the HD one to pull it back onto the road. That definately took two arms to operate.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you buy a come-a-long, invest in a good one. The cheapies are good for nothing, but getting you hurt (or PO'd, or both)

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
If you buy a come-a-long, invest in a good one. The cheapies are good for nothing, but getting you hurt (or PO'd, or both)Mark
Very good advice - I agree.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The problem with come-a-longs is the short length of pull. A heavy manual or electric boat winch has a far longer pull and won't cost much more. Northerntool.com sells this 1000 lb model for $25, for example. It comes with a 23' strap or cable. A 2000 lb version would be even easier to crank.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another tool that I have found very helpful once I get home,is a hydraulic lift table.I use it to load or unload heavy objects in and out of my pickup.I bought mine when I was having problems with my back.The model I have will lift to the height of the tailgate of my pickup.Heck I used mine yesterday to help me get a water heater out of a closet that was put in before the airhander for my central air was put in.I had to lift it up three feet to get over the return air box the unit was mounted on.I sure was glad to have it on the other side.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.