Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yikes, 3 different grays. The scope, the metal, and even the freakin stock. I thought maybe a silver scope would be less...overwhelmingly terrible. Clearly I was wrong.

Why couldn't Ruger just stay with the same black/gray laminate that so beautifully graced the long action rifles?

What to do, what to do...[bleep] it, I'll just shoot it and apologize to everyone at the range for having to look at it.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sucker's a candidate for the ol' spray bomb....:)

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Should I cerakote the metal to match the scope? I am not aware of an aftermarket lefty short action stock, but something has to happen. Ruger went full retard with these.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There is a company that does the scopes and they have a finish to match the metal. Can't remember the company but it does not affect the scope warranty. Either that or go to a matte black scope. I wouldn't change the gun metal but that's just me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Full retard! That's funny.

Tropic Thunder right?

"You never go full retard"

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Tropic Thunder, while full retard itself, was totally awesome simply based on the fact that Robert Downey Jr not only climbed his junky ass out of the gutter for a great movie, but he did it to play a guy who plays a black guy.

I think Tef-Cote might be the company that refinishes scopes. Got a request for info in to them to match the scope to the receiver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kinda like it, Leupold I think made a scope that is similar to the metal work either that or a black matte finish.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TXpitdog
Yikes, 3 different grays. The scope, the metal, and even the freakin stock. I thought maybe a silver scope would be less...overwhelmingly terrible. Clearly I was wrong.

Why couldn't Ruger just stay with the same black/gray laminate that so beautifully graced the long action rifles?
The laminate doesn't bother me as much as the [bleep] mismatch between the rifle's metal finish and the scope's.

I mounted a silver VX-2 3x9 on mine and all I could think of was it's something only a mother could love.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Extreme Makeover: Campfire addition,

I agree I think I could live with the stock. I recall several years ago about the only left handed Reminton 700s you could find new in the rack were SS with the gray barn wood laminated stocks. I couldnt warm up to them back then but would like to find one now.

The 3 shades of Gray is a bit of a turn off. I would go with matte black rings and scope, maybe cerakote the bottom metal and bolt handle matte black at some point.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matte black scope and call it good I think. How does it shoot?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by inland44
Extreme Makeover: Campfire addition,

I agree I think I could live with the stock. I recall several years ago about the only left handed Reminton 700s you could find new in the rack were SS with the gray barn wood laminated stocks. I couldnt warm up to them back then but would like to find one now.

The 3 shades of Gray is a bit of a turn off. I would go with matte black rings and scope, maybe cerakote the bottom metal and bolt handle matte black at some point.
On second thought, mine doesn't look as mismatched with the Leupold as TXpitdog's does with the Nikon.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Haven't shot it yet. Just received and mounted the scope last night. Matter of fact, I don't believe I've read a single range report on these. How many were made, 16? Half went back to get a Ruger custom shop straight barrel put on, but I don't believe I've read anything from someone who has actually shot theirs yet. Gonna try to shoot it Sunday, but it will be with plain ol' 55gr FMJ handloads.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
If this Tef-Cote place can match the scope to the rifle, I'll be happy. If it's cost prohibitive, well, ugly rifled need homes too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[I

What to do, what to do...[bleep] it, I'll just shoot it and apologize to everyone at the range for having to look at it.

Here's what I'm doing.

[Linked Image]

Never have warmed up to silver scopes on anything, I put matte black scopes on stainless rifles and even stainless handguns.

Shot my .223 with the bent barrel, right out of the box with standard trigger and speed bump in the barrel channel it was putting most 4 shot groups into a bit over an inch. Finally got a straight barrel back last week but took it to that stockmaker in the picture the very next morning, so it will be a few more weeks before I can shoot it again.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Jim, does he do the type of work where you can send him your rifle and a chunk of pretty wood, and he creates the stock from your block and sends it back in a finished form?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost. He works with a semi-inletted stock and then finishes the inletting, outside final shaping/sanding, applies the finish and checkers it.

I got the semi-inletted stocks from Walnut Grove Gunstocks in Weiser, ID, but the fellow above will use anyone's semi-inletted stock.

Those stocks are from my pattern based off the Hawkeye factory stock with a fuller, rounder pistol grip, the comb nose moved back a bit and a cheekpiece added. The pattern from Walnut Grove will have the comb nose more forward so you can leave it or move it back as you desire.

If you want, you can search the Custom Gun forum for threads titled "Stockmaking" going back 8 or 9 months. I've chronicled my process starting with picking out the blocks of wood, having patterns made, stocks made and so far up to the pic above.

The fellow above works pretty quickly so I expect to have four custom stocked rifles arriving over the next month. (crossing my fingers wink )

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Cool thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Half went back to get a Ruger custom shop straight barrel put on, but I don't believe I've read anything from someone who has actually shot theirs yet.
Here's one who shot theirs with the replacement barrel: CLICK D LINK

I just got a scope mounted on mine last Sunday and I'm waiting for a day when there isn't a 30+ mile-an-hour wind to shoot it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep, it is Tef Cote through Altitude Gun works. They were Spradlins when they did mine. I had them do a pistol scope to better match my super redhawk 454. I can compare that to the Hawkeye stainless color and let you know. It is one of their standard colors.

Just make sure you specify what you want coated. They usually mask of the gold rings or power selection markings. So if you don't tell them to spray the entire thing, they won't.

Last edited by KenMi; 03/22/13.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Do you recall what the work cost?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.