Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by huntsman22
WTF is a 'escarpment'? A place to hang scaly fishies?

It's one of those damn things that when you are at the top glassing elk in the manzanita flats 1200 feet below... you say to yourself, do I really wanna...

Kent

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
by the way, you forgot 'rim'.....

The Mogollon Rim is above me in that picture and I've hunted on or below it all my life... can't believe I missed such a familiar one...

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTF is a 'escarpment'?
by the way, you forgot 'rim'.....

An escarpment is what your looking down from the rim.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Looking over the Rim... and I forgot promontory...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
krp, laughing so hard I'm crying. How long did it take you to craft that paragraph??!

We all forgot "hole", as in hell-hole. That is a place that will always have an elk, and you will always regret you went there to find it, especially if you shoot it in there! They are deep, steep, dark, gnarly, and always on the wrong side of the mountain from truck or camp. Up is the only way you can pack the meat.

BTW, nice pics.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience a bench is any area level enough for elk to bed so they fall don't roll off when they fall asleep.

If we're going to get into escarpments and promontories, might also mention pediplains, peneplains and alluvial fans....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here in so. Idaho, we have a lot of open country with black timber on the north slopes and open sagebrush on the tops and south slopes. On those, I find the elk like to bed in the timber somewhere around 1/3 of the way down from the top. If you can find a tiny spring in the area surrounded by very dense cover, you might find a bull's hidey hole but finding him without spooking him is a job for an expert.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
alluvial fans.... reminds me that we, 'arizonians' use the term 'cienega' for large open grass areas in juniper/pinion country. Meadow just doesn't descibe the country right... but cienega really means marsh or an area with springs, including alluvial fans... local legion claims a word left over from the conquistadors.

I actually use the word escarpment for one specific spot, nothing else describes it correctly and all who experience it agree. When you look over the edge there are elk all over in the manzanita/scrub oak flats and some less than 300 yds out... but 900 feet down. The rim runs a couple miles each way in a horseshoe with the flats around it... very unique spot.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the opposite of a bluff.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Here's a good dictionary of landscape terms for those who like to geek out on the differences between "cuesta" and "escarpment". Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape

I'm guilty. Keep a copy of the book in my office.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Me too....the next to last bull I killed was laying on a "bench" about the size of a small kitchen. The "bench" was along a knife edged ridged and had steep sides [really steep] I killed him as he stood up 75yds away..

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There's just over 20 elk in this picture

And here's the same area from that side showing a bench and how deceptive it is from different angles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bench - anywhere i can sit my ass down!!

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
above and beyond with the descriptions and pictures. Greatly appreciated! It helps to be able to look at something considering how crazy some of the descriptions can get.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Indeed! All of the pictures and descriptions are quite helpful. Kudos

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ridge:
Dish:
Cut:
Bluff:
Chute:
Bench:
Plateau:
Saddle:
Slide:
Bowl:
Cliff:
Trough:
Escarpment:
Finger:
Flats:
Meadow:
Face:
Wash:
Dip:
Canyon:
Ditch:
Stairstep:
Burn:

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not sure how feasible it is, but there's the list awaiting definitions.... this would be a nice thing to add to my elk hunting binder, not sure how many of these can be described verbally versus requiring pictures? Some are obvious, some clearly very regional.

Thoughts? Would be a good sticky if done, or maybe the boys starting the Seekoutside blog series would be interested....

Originally Posted by salsola

Here's a good dictionary of landscape terms for those who like to geek out on the differences between "cuesta" and "escarpment". Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape

Actually I missed this... hmmmmm.

Last edited by 68Shooter; 03/26/13.

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I didn't see "Holler" mentioned or "Rise", nor "Borrow Pit" which can be hot spots for game at times.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's because 'holler's are back east. The rockies ain't got none...... That should get your 'rise'.....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rick59
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Other western words which you should familiarize your self with are: saddle, draw, gulch, coulee, butte, mesa, and arroyo.

I learned a new use for the word "Park" while hunting in Colorado.

The first time I took my ex-wife, Carol, out to Colorado Elk hunting, I explained to ehr that we would be glassing for Elk, and one of the best places was in "parks". You should have seen the strange look she gave me...... grin

For years afterward, she never missed a chance to rib me about what kind of park I was talking about...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.