Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My daughter was accepted to the Honors College at a large university. Anyone here go that route, or have a kid or loved one who did? Opinions?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nope.

But congrats to your daughter!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The value of an honors program can vary depending on the students major.

What's her major?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mooner, thanks! She done good.

'Lope sniper, Journalism is the call at this point, possibly as pre-law, but really, she's 17 so who knows. She's senior editor of her high school paper and very much into journalism though. She loves to debate... about wears me out... and is very good at it.

Kid spoke at 6 months old and was doing full sentences at a year; she has a crystalline mind and effortless pitch control when singing harmonies, and learns languages very easily; so that's her strengths. She won't be an engineer or physicist.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not only can the rigor/quality/worth vary according to the major concentration and those responsible for that, but such programs often vary in worth according to the overall intent and design by the institution.

Some schools have been known to slap such a label on things just to be able to say they have such a program and in efforts to attract students - but the courses and expectations vary little - if any - from their run of the mill offerings.

Other schools work at the high end of the spectrum wherein the programs are rigorous, expectations high, and admittance a true challenge - the student really has to prove her/him self worthy, often by succeeding at a high level within that college before admission to the "honor" situation.

And, there are lots that fall between those two extremes. In some instances there exist very decent quality control measures - including independent external accreditation processes - but those normally address the overall institution or certain programs within. Rarely does such independent review focus on the true nature of an "honors" program itself which, usually, is a tool of the institution.

To know the truth about the one of which you speak, you will need to do your own investigation - asking some probing and tough questions. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CCCC; 03/30/13.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The reason I ask is that she's ambivalent towards it. I think she's worried it'll be a lot of extra work for the same credits. It does cost ~$2K more a year, but since I'm getting sodomized anyway, that doesn't really matter. Still, she's exploring the notion as per her tendencies to debate and parse everything so I'm trying to get some perspective on it. For what it's worth the honors program at this school is reputed to be very good, whatever that means. If I'm understanding it, it's the same or similar classes that other students take, but MUCH smaller class sizes and taught by real professors, not TA's and Associates. I think. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I started college I was an honors student. That didn't last too long though. Honors courses turned out to mostly be humanities oriented crap in which I had no interest. So I left the honors program, a/k/a center for liberal indoctrination.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
CCCC, thanks. That does help.

I grew up on a campus-- my dad was a professor-- but it was an engineering school and I don't know if they had an honors program, or, given what you've said, how relevant it'd be anyway. I'll have to ask him his take.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
For Journalism, with a possible application to law school, I would recommend the Honors Program. In the softer majors Honors will help differentiate her in the a highly competative field. It also looks good on applications for Law School.

On the other hand, for students in Engineering Physics, or any other quantative field, it's better to skip the honors, and take more math, adding either a minor, or second major in math.

In any event, I wish you daughter the best of luck. One thing this country needs is some REAL journalist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mathman, thanks.

This is a kid who won't be going into the hard sciences. As to the politics of it all, I pity the foo' who tries to lay a liberal OR conservative party line on her. Her politics are all over the map (surprised?) but she's no puppet. Just read Atlas Shrugged for fun recently, for instance.

Anyway, I'd rather not talk politics, other than to say that I'm not concerned about her being indoctrinated by eeeevil liberals at the university. THEY should be concerned <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hit their website and read the course descriptions. They may be great.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My experience was the same as mathman and antelope sniper. I was a polymer chemistry major. I started in the honors college also but the all the philosophy courses did nothing to enhance my major, and it was going to add a year to getting my degree if I stayed in it. I dropped the honors college after one year.

It's good for resume building if you're trying to get accepted into a follow on program, but for a sciences major like myself it's pretty worthless.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do not recall my engineering institution having one?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
When I started college I was an honors student. That didn't last too long though. Honors courses turned out to mostly be humanities oriented crap in which I had no interest. So I left the honors program, a/k/a center for liberal indoctrination.

You nailed it. It's a liberal indoctrination anymore, not an honest education. Just the way the communists planned it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Mathman, thanks.

This is a kid who won't be going into the hard sciences. As to the politics of it all, I pity the foo' who tries to lay a liberal OR conservative party line on her. Her politics are all over the map (surprised?) but she's no puppet.

It's really none of my concern, but I find this laughable, coming from an OBama voting atheist. You've probably done a good enough job of getting her off on the wrong foot already at home.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yeah, back in the day, when I suffered an inferiority complex from being a high school drop out, I had something to prove. So, I went off to college as a part time student. Because I was older, and somewhat familiar with the ways of the world, I found it ridiculously easy to maintain a 4.0 GPA. Even better, I had learned how to become self-educated in things technical and scientific long before I had dropped out of school, making studying a pleasure. Problem with kids is they don't know how to work, or even much want to expend the effort. After awhile, I received a letter informing me that I had qualified for eligibility in this or that honor society, all of which sounded like Greek to me, Gamma, Flappa, Kappa or some such pretentious nonsense. I didn't even bother replying to the letter or following up, but filed it away for amusement.

So, in the long run I wound up with state licenses in three environmental engineering professions, a journey level certification in industrial arts, and enough certifications in everything from lawn enforcement to fire fighting and other fun stuff, to fill a file drawer. So there's the worth of an honor society, at least to me. On the other hand, when I was knocking about, I learned a degree from Stanford was worth an additional $10k in starting salary for the graduate, with honors, a bit more. In a shallow society where credentialism is more a qualifier for employment than demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities, and a track record of experience, always go for the honors and credentials. Of course, in some fields, such as medicine, the necessity of scholastic attainment is understandable and desirable.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Applaud your daughter's accomplishments and all but,

Kid spoke at 6 months old and doing full sentences at a year.

My kid also spoke full sentences at a year.

Dad, goo goo gaa gaa.

Maybe I should contact Mensa right away.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jeff,
I work with Honors student all the time and act as an honors advisor as well. However, each school will differ with respect to the advantages of being an honors students. W/o knowing what those or, or the university involved, making concrete suggestions for you or her is not possible.

The biggest advantages, however are intangibles. Things that happen outside the classroom, special opportunities for honors students, and greater opportunities to get to know other really bright students and learn from them.

Here, Honors students can completely rewrite their programs of study. They have great freedom to substitute various requirements or waive them altogether, in view of making other opportunities happen.

One of the greatest advantages (esp. if this is a public school), is that honors students generally get to register for classes first among their peers (e.g., first of the sophomores). That gives them much better chances to get the courses and sections that they want at the times that they want, with the instructors that they want. This advantage alone can be worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Things like honors projects, etc. generally have non-honors equivalents that provide the same out-of-class experience, but the honors version may add additional funds that would assist or make possible, something that a nonhonors student would find prohibitive. Also, the honors project is required and the non-honors project often is not. Doing one (well) can be a real big deal in some cases, so if it is the extra push that gets her to commit to such and undertaking, so much the better. If she is enough of a go-getter, then that may be superfluous.

There may be other advantages at that particular school, but only you can figure that out with a lot of detective work.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nothing like a parent forking over big bucks (or student getting buried in debt) to get a good liberal indoctrination.

What's the tuition Jeff?

Why don't you have her join the military, pay for her own education via the GI Bill, and get a much better start in life.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My daughter was in the honors program at UGA. It did not cost extra and every student recieved an extra scholarship. She made 4 & 5's on her AP test so she started as a junior, thus she finished in 4 years. The down side is that she did her year abroad at the University of Zurich, fell in love with a German, married him and now lives in Berlin. She finished her masters at Humboldt University and is going to do her PHD there.

Now if I only knew her partent are because she is smarter than my wife & me.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 03/31/13.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.