Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Reasons not to buy a pickup truck from:

Toyota: The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

GM: They took a bailout from the government.

Chrysler: They took an earlier bailout from the government, and they build crap, anyway.

BMW and Mercedez Benz: The Germans started WWII, and they don't offer pickups here, anyway.

Ford: Had the two largest safety recalls in history Check out here

Yup, don't buy any truck unless you can find a good used Studebaker or International.

Fixed it for you. wink laugh
LMAO... Seems GM beat Ford in that dept., if I read the list right.. (in instances, but in totals you're right, 18.9M to 21.++M)

And I don't give a rats azz about 'recalls'... ALL of 'em have some, a few more than most - usually due to selling a ton more vehicles than the others..

I don't care if GM is the safest thing on the road bar none - I'll never buy another one...

You're right about one thing though - them Studebaker trucks were built like TANKS... Neighbor had one - I swear, the steel on those fenders were thicker than most gunsafes made today.. I think you could hit a 100-year-old Oak tree at 60mph with that truck and it MIGHT have left a small mark on the bumper.. The rest would be perfectly ok..

laugh laugh

Last edited by Redneck; 04/01/13.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Yup, those Studebakers were a tough old truck. The Internationals weren't far behind but they were sure short on comfort. We called them "Corn binders".

When you really think about it pickups sure have come a long, long ways. My first pickup was a 1949 Ford F-1 and I thought I was walking in tall cotton. Little did I realize what the future held. laugh

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BMW and Mercedez Benz: The Germans started WWII, and they don't offer pickups here, anyway.

Although i am sure those comments are made tongue in cheek, the Germans do make decent Pick-ups:

Merc G Wagon:
[Linked Image]

The VW Amarok
[Linked Image]

The Pinzgauer
[Linked Image]

The Haflinger
[Linked Image]

The Unimog 404
[Linked Image]

And a VW 4x4 Syncro (actually a very good bit of kit)

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems that Toyota has as many recalls as any other manufacturer, maybe they lost something in the transition from when Toyota's son took over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

The VW Amarok
[Linked Image]

I could really like one of those in diesel for a daily driver/90% of what I need a truck for. Might as well throw in a wish for similarly unavailable Hi-lux while I'm at it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by StrayDog
It seems that Toyota has as many recalls as any other manufacturer, maybe they lost something in the transition from when Toyota's son took over.

Probably if Ford sells more pickups than anyone else, it stands to reason that they will have more total recalls on pickups. I imagine that the same holds true with the Toyota Camry in the passenger car section of autos as far as recalls are concerned. laugh

That said, I am with Redneck. Recalls to me mean very little. In a good share of them it was over-reaction from my point of view and it doesn't change my way of thinking about rigs at all. But, some on here always bring up how Toyota has had so many recalls in the last few years so I thought I'd post a little recall history. laugh

I always get a kick out of reading threads like this one, but I suspect I am like most other posters on here. It makes interesting reading but when all is said and done my own experiences and observations will dictate what rig I will buy. I really don't care what others think about it either and I don't mind if they disagree with me. I only have to please myself. laugh

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I always get a kick out of reading threads like this one, but I suspect I am like most other posters on here. It makes interesting reading but when all is said and done my own experiences and observations will dictate what rig I will buy. I really don't care what others think about it either and I don't mind if they disagree with me. I only have to please myself. laugh

Well said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2011 Ford F150 with the 5.0 V8 180 mile trip. Cruise control set on 70 basically the whole trip

[Linked Image]

Last edited by C_Hell; 04/01/13.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Funny everyone rags on Dodge but I have 260K on my 04 4x4 and no complaints, I would buy another if they hadn�t dropped the extended cab model.

Just a personal preference on cab size so it would be a Chevy 1500 or Ford 150 on the top of my list.

Ted
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always find these types of threads interesting too. Here's my take on the situation. In our small fleet, over the past 15 years, we've probably had 30-40 different pickups. We do not do heavy hauling in them, so we buy 1/2T exclusively. Among them have been Chevy Z71, F150, and Tundra with the 5.7. All are crewcab models. We are adamant about doing the routine maintenance and general upkeep, and change the oil every 5000 miles because it's easier to keep up with by the mileage on the speedo. In a nutshell, there are good and not so good of each make. We've had Z71's go 200K with not a hiccup, and some go 75000 and need some work besides routine. Same goes for the Tundra's, which have all gotten dreadful real world mileage.....13 in town, 17 on hwy best case. We had one Ford driven 330K , with a timing chain replaced and a new rear end put in at 285,000 and that's all. Can't ask for much more than that. In light of being around them every day, I don't think one make is any better than another generally speaking. We usually buy F150's now because of Govt Motors and Tundra's dreadful fuel mileage. I'm driving an F150 King Ranch Crew 4x4 now, and it has averaged 16.5 over the first 58,000 miles. It used to avg 17.3 before the schittty ethanol fuel mandates kicked in.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/01/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
That's why Toyotas are parked in my driveway. Got rid of my Tundra recently and got a Tacoma, wife drives a newer Camry, we don't ever go to the dealerships for repairs, it is what it is.

What made you switch between a Tundra to a Tacoma? I am quite curious, as I am on the fence between them.

Thanks

I know guys on here claim to get 16-18mpg in their Tundras but mine was an honest 12-15 city/highway truck. With the new $3.50+ per gallon gas and the amount of driving I do it was too much. My Taco hasn't had a tank of fuel ran through it that I haven't got 18+ mpg, and 20 is doable on the highway pretty easily.Plus it cost quite a bit less than a similarly equipped tundra so my note is a good chunk less. I drive a lot and am sick of spending so much just to drive a truck between fuel and truck payments , it's friggin ridiculous anymore, but I gotta have something with a bed so the taco was the most cost effective option that I have confidence in!

I too own a Tacoma. Best rig I have ever owned. It is on amazing 4x4, been everywhere in it. I have bigger tires on it but that is all I have added. The only real issue is it is light for towing. I need to haul my 5th wheel and when I am not doing that - my quad. It is tough to think about a hefty truck pmt. and still being to go do something. Heck you can't buy ammo so why go do anything, right?

I get about 18-19 up on the highway in town not much worse. In 4x4 it does eat the fuel, like when you are hunting. Still a great rig, I wish they made a diesel.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter130

I am stuck when it come to hauling the trailer and the quad. I would be happy to just put the quad in the back with the tailgate down. We usually have enough people going to camp that I can get my quad there.. We would like to use our trailer more. I am spoiled now. The first time I did not have to wash up in a glacier feed stream or not sleep on the ground but a queen sized bed - I was sold. I still spike out but man that trailer is nice in the snow.

That's a tough one, you cannot go with a CrewMax if your wanting to put a quad in the bed and tow the trailer. Heck I had to put ramps in the bed of the standard sized bed DC Tundra to be able to put my quad in the bed and close the tailgate and on the Crewmax I recently sold theres no way in hell I was gonna close the tailgate with my quad in the bed. A pic for reference

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These pics are real helpful

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last Saturday I and four other guys went in my Tundra from Grants Pass to Bonanza and over to Poe Valley. There was lots of slow driving. Average for the trip was 17.78 miles per gallon.

The most squirrels killed by anyone was by good ol' John Lachuk. He got seven. He was using a rimfire. The longest shot I saw him make was 168 yards.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boy if Toyota would just nut up and bring a diesel truck to this market.....

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would like to see a turbocharger for the 4.7. Maybe that would boost it from 271 HP to maybe 350 HP and still maintain about the same mileage if one didn't change their driving habits.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I always find these types of threads interesting too. Here's my take on the situation. In our small fleet, over the past 15 years, we've probably had 30-40 different pickups. We do not do heavy hauling in them, so we buy 1/2T exclusively. Among them have been Chevy Z71, F150, and Tundra with the 5.7. All are crewcab models. We are adamant about doing the routine maintenance and general upkeep, and change the oil every 5000 miles because it's easier to keep up with by the mileage on the speedo. In a nutshell, there are good and not so good of each make. We've had Z71's go 200K with not a hiccup, and some go 75000 and need some work besides routine. Same goes for the Tundra's, which have all gotten dreadful real world mileage.....13 in town, 17 on hwy best case. We had one Ford driven 330K , with a timing chain replaced and a new rear end put in at 285,000 and that's all. Can't ask for much more than that. In light of being around them every day, I don't think one make is any better than another generally speaking. We usually buy F150's now because of Govt Motors and Tundra's dreadful fuel mileage. I'm driving an F150 King Ranch Crew 4x4 now, and it has averaged 16.5 over the first 58,000 miles. It used to avg 17.3 before the schittty ethanol fuel mandates kicked in.

I suppose you could draw a line and say 17mpg is dreadful and 17.3 is not... sleep

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Reasons not to buy a pickup truck from:

Toyota: The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

GM: They took a bailout from the government.

Chrysler: They took an earlier bailout from the government, and they build crap, anyway.

Ford: Well, I guess Ford is all that's left. Yup. Ford is the only pickup that any real American has any business driving.

Buying anything else would be treason.
I thought Mr Ford ran factories in Germany during the war that built tanks or something hitler used against the allies.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well said.

I like Larry, but I have to disagree.

I want to please everyone and am determined to do so.

Please send me a pm if you'd like input on what truck I buy along with a crisp $100 wink

your vote counts, exercise your right! I'll be waitin for those pms

and btw Cub what da hail you doin in San Antone?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

and btw Cub what da hail you doin in San Antone?

Hating life! That's what I'm doing down here. I shoulda gotten on anti-depressants and drank more to deal with winters and stayed in Alaska!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

I suppose you could draw a line and say 17mpg is dreadful and 17.3 is not... sleep

You'd be correct if you compare our Tundra's 17mpg max on the hwy, as compared to the F150 17.3 avg of city driving and hwy. But since it doesn't make any sense to do that, you need to compare tundra's 17hwy to F150's 19 hwy. At least in my world that's how I see it. Our Tundra's would avg 14 max city/hwy average.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.