Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
CZ makes a very basic double-trigger O/U shotgun in 12 and 20 guage! for @ $570 MSRP .....

Does anyone own and shoot one of these relatively inexpensive over/under field guns?

If so, Whats your general impression of it?

Do you like it?

Does it perform well for you?

Would you recommend it to a son, brother or friend?

Would you buy one again if you could rethink your purchase?

THANKS!
cool

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If that was all I could afford, then yes.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

MCH, I understand the sentiment/comment. But what make of O/U do you prefer? (if money was unlimted w/ me, I'd choose Berettas over Brownings 99% of the time).

My interest in the Mallard is for a 'cheap' hard working upland gun. Probably the 20, as its almost a full pound lighter.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Target
1) Perazzi
2) Zoli
3) Beretta
4) Caesar Guerini

Hunting
1) Perazzi
2) A. Galazan
3) Caesar Guerini
4) Beretta

My only problem with the CZ is when it breaks who can fix it and at what cost? Then where can you get the parts?Other then that to me it is an excellent beater hunting gun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have been known to be critical of the Ruger Red labels. The reason being is they are pretty much in the same class as the CZ but for a lot more money. Again a great beater hunting gun. But who will fix them and for how much? Then where are the parts and how much? I can honestly live with myself buying a CZ and hunting it to failure and throwing it away. I can't say the same for the Ruger at that price its a lot to throw away.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have been known to be critical of the Ruger Red labels. The reason being is they are pretty much in the same class as the CZ but for a lot more money. Again a great beater hunting gun. But who will fix them and for how much? Then where are the parts and how much? I can honestly live with myself buying a CZ and hunting it to failure and throwing it away. I can't say the same for the Ruger at that price its a lot to throw away.

Hmmm how about any competent shotgun gunsmith or.....heres a shocker, CZ.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sure and now answer the other part of the question COST?

In a sub 1K gun is it really worth it? Chances are if it broke once it is going to continue to break. How much money do you throw into a sub 1K gun?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen and shot a few CZ o/u's and they seem to be pretty sell built. In fact a good buddy of mine just went to work for them to design there new sporting gun. I think CZ guns are a sleeper, I also think the quality is there for teh price point. There the biggest small arms mfg in the world and bring a pretty good product to the market at a dam good price. I will own one of there new sporting clays shotguns.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Passport I have owned a few of them. For the price they are a decent hunting gun. As they are now they would not hold up to heavy competitive use. I have nothing against them. They are what they are. They aren't something to throw money at when things start to break.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Passport I have owned a few of them. For the price they are a decent hunting gun. As they are now they would not hold up to heavy competitive use. I have nothing against them. They are what they are. They aren't something to throw money at when things start to break.

So ..... if you had to be really careful with your gun-buying-budget, what's a GOOD, SOLID, HARD-WORKING and DURABLE O/U you'd pick?

What's your best-buy choice, MCH? In an upland O/U?

(and what the heck,) Whats your dream choice too!? (whether competitive shooter, bird gun, or whatever?)

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How much are you talking for this? In the ballpark of the CZ that is what I would buy. Sub 1K CZ unless a used gun was an option.

In the 1K-2K market either a Beretta or Caesar Guerini.

No limit anything I wanted honestly either a Perazzi MX2000S or Perazzi 28ga SC3 game gun 30" barrels fixed chokes Mod and IMod. Either gun with wood to knock your socks off!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MontanaCreekHunter, why are you so quick to think these guns will brake?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How did you come to the conclussion I am quick to think? I have owned several CZ's and all but one of them had problems.

First one was a Canvasback, First the trigger wasn't resetting. Then the rib came of the gun. Sold that to my cousin so he could have a parts gun.

Second gun was a Ringneck same thing with the trigger. Then if my memory serves me right after about 10,000 rounds the extractor broke. I looked around at the time for a new one and couldn't find one. CZ at that time told me they had no spares but if I wanted to send it back they would take it. However they couldn't give me any estimated time. So I told them fine I will send it in. At that point I could wait to get it back and sell it once back.

Third is a Mallard that I won at a shoot. That has not had any problems knock on wood (YET) I think it has around 5000 rounds thru it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

Thanks MCH. And for sharing your experience!

Shifting gears a little, if you were strictly shopping the [good] "used" shotgun market, what O/U would you look for to buy in a 20 gauge? In a 12 gauge?

I aprreciate the comment about great looking wood! (Used to love just staring at a couple old Fajen catalogs I once had (esp the walnut with red or blue swirls through it.)

However, if I had the $jack, I'd just go for a Beretta Ultralight 2 3/4" twelver for a hard working do everything upland gun (I gave up on ducks when non-toxic shot came in, altho I'd like to bag some geese and sandhill cranes .... but have a 3" M870 for that!).

In a 2 3/4" shell, can't imagine I'd need much over 1oz, 1-1/8th, 1-1/4th ounce loads! Maaaaybe a rare 1-3/8th or 1-1/2ouncer, but those would be handloads and only a [few] per year.

I do however like the the idea of 3/4oz 20ga loads at quail, as well as in the 28ga.

But in a 20 and 28 gauge, not sure what I'd pick beyond [entry level] CZ choices.

I did own a Ruger Red Label 20 for a year when I was in college, enjoyed it, but haven't wanted to replace it!

At one time thought a Red Label in 16ga would be the rage, but later didn't get too jazzed about those [very limited production] 16ga Browning Lightenings that came along in the 1990's. I do enjoy reloading shotshells A LOT, but long ago accepted the 16teener will be more rare than the .358W or .41M!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Depends on what you like SKB, 101, Beretta onyx, are a few good choices. It would come down to what I could find in my price range. There are still bargins to be found out there. If I was in a hurry I would buy whatever I could find at that time. If I had time to look and get the right fit then I think I would look for a Beretta or 101.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my shotgun safe I have a few nice guns, a couple 1960's 101's, Husqvarna 51(freshwater ducks with ITX shot) LeFever/Ithaca Nitro Special 20ga custom built into a ladies skeet gun, a couple of LC Smiths a Darne and a Bernedelli XXV. I shoot all of these except the LC's. For my saltwater duck gun I've been shooting a CZ Bobwhite 20ga and it is a great little gun and I have no complaints.

With any double under a grand the single triggger seems to be the biggest trouble maker and the hardest to fix. The CZ Bobwhite and Mallard are double triggers and have had very few problems and there isn't much that can go wrong with them that even a shadetree gunsmith couldn't fix. If I were looking for an inexpensive O/U I would look very close at a Mallard befor I'd look at any inexpensive single trigger O/U.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife shoots one for trap.
She likes it alot and does very well with it.
Only problem she has had was a broken firing pin on the lower barrel.
It was covered by warranty and went to cz who promptly fixed it.
Here she is right before going to marry a couple ( She is a minister), in heels.
[Linked Image]
And on a normal day.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are made by Huglu, an old line of Turkish gun makers. I have one of the fancy Huglu's, and for what I paid I am impressed. The engraving and wood is better than Berretta's I have owned. Time will tell how it holds up, only about 500 through it so far. Dehaan's will also fix them. Have heard that firing pins can break, but that has been fixed. Depends on when it was made.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.