Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, I have some hits/offers in my thread or post asking if anyone wants to trade me some of my nicer firearms for a 4 wheeler or 'quad'. I have offers on rigs that run from a 250cc quad up to a copuple of 400 cc ATV's and all the way up to a 650cc twin cylinder 4 wheeler. All I need this for is hunting and helping to haul out dead critters, mostly deer. I have ridden on 4 wqeelers as small as 90cc's and was prettty impressed with how well that little bike did, and my fsather in law has an older 250cc quad that I have been on a time or two and it seemed to me like it had good power and capability but I was not on it for very long nor did I try to haul anything with it.

So, being as I am 6'3" tall, 245lbs and legally disabled with kidney disease and gout from said disease, how big of a 4 wheeler do I need, in your opinions? Smaller equalls lower fuel costs and maybe eaier to muscle it around. Larger gives me exactly what? And I 'need' larger, exactly why?

I am kinda leaning toward the 400cc units, with the leader of the pack being a Polaris in MT that is a two stroke "Explorer" model but there are some KAwasaki 400's closer to home and 4 stroke engines.

THANKS in advance, for all of the input! I always get good experience based advice here and this is a pretty sizeable decision for me.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a Honda Fourtrax 300 on the farm, and I think it was actually closer to 250cc motor. It had plenty of power for running around the farm, pulling trailers of feed, and hauling dead critters out. The 2wd and bald tires was fine on dry ground. When there was snow though, it went nowhere. Had a 4wd of same model, it went everywhere.

I myself don't like the bigger four wheelers, just because they are so dang big, less manuevarable, fill a pickup bed, etc.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For hunting purposes, I would value a 4 stroke quad for several reasons. They are quieter, better on fuel, and typically more reliable. They also don't smell like a chainsaw. My FIL has a 2 stroke polaris sportsman 400 (circa 1996), and though it is capable, for reasons listed above, as well as having three drive chains, I would stay away.
As far as your question regarding ccs, it is hard to answer. An old Suzuki king quad 250cc with super low range will out work many larger quads without even low range.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'd stick with the 400cc units and up, just be sure it has 4x4.

A 400 with 4x4 will get a lot done. I have rode one quite a bit, a 10 or 12 year old Yammi 400, and it does fine doing everything asked of it. Its been used to haul deer, drag downed trees and pull utility carts.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bigger is better for you and 4 stroke for sure

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an 800cc twin that does the job very nicely.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mark;
I hope that this finds you and yours doing well this fine Sunday morning.

With the understanding that I have yet to purchase my own first quad, but I work with and live around several experienced quad drivers I'd offer the following.

Do your research first on the fuel consumption of various models if you plan to ride it for longer distances or times. Even within the same motor size class there appears to be a considerable difference in fuel consumption.

Some of the models nowadays have electronic assisted steering and the riders over the age of 35 seem to really, really appreciate that.

While you are a large framed man, because of your health issues you may indeed have more fun than you'd hoped for trying to man handle some of the 700cc or larger units if they get stuck or off track in any way. A quick check of the dry weight specs will be time well spent I'd suspect. wink

How you intend to transport the quad will also have a bearing on the overall size and weight of the unit you'll want. From hearing the folks at work talk, loading an 800cc 4x4 onto the back of a pickup with a 6" lift and 35" rubber isn't always as easy as it looks.

Either a tilting trailer or a low trailer with ramps seems to be a safer way to go, though admittedly the resulting stories aren't nearly as fun to listen to. laugh

Lastly they pay attention to a strong local dealer and competent mechanic staff when making the final decision. The rationale there seems to be they'd rather be in the mountains quading than driving a couple hours to the nearest dealer who can work on their rig.

Hopefully that all made some sense and will give you a bit of a foundation for your research. Good luck whichever way you decide Mark and all the best to you and yours in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like anywhere from 300-400cc. They have plenty of power to get the job done. Mines mostly used around the farm, fixing fence, spraying, whatever. I wouldn't want a bigger machine because that's more weight. I've got a Honda rancher and a kowasucky bayou. The rancher is lighter and pretty easy to man handle and get unstuck or over a big log by yourself. The bayou is basically a cinder block on wheels. Hell, it even handles like one.

I don't really know why you'd go larger. Unless you were towing quite a bit of weight great distances.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff Dwayne!

My wish list would look like this:
ELECTRIC START!
400cc 4stroke
Push button 4x4 with low and high range
On a utility wheeler, I want enclosed foot wells. I have driven too many up the back of my legs trying to muscle them through nasty stuff.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
All I need this for is hunting and helping to haul out dead critters, mostly deer.

If the above quote is true.........Any 4x4 Brand Name wheeler 250 to 1000 cc in decent shape will haul a deer out of the brush.

That was easy. But wait, there's more. grin

You may begin to enjoy riding an ATV . You may say this machine is alot easier on me then my Rokon. And easier to ride. Your bride may want to ride along with you to help and you both realize that riding double slowly through the woods is a blast together.

If any of the above happens....then you got choices to make.
If riding double or even just myself on a joy ride, independent suspension or bust for me.
Riding double or going on a long day trip or overnighter? 500cc or more for me.
Think your wife may drive it sometime? You and I know it's not flat in this country..........
Engine holdbacks (braking itself under compression) and steep descents controls make today's wheeler alot safer. Power steering is awesome and easy on the body in our steep mountain roads and trails.
Those old 250's are reliable, stout, great little workhorses, but they will tear you up out here on a long ride.
So, it's really easy to choose.....IF you only take out in the fall for 1 week and that's it.
OR
If you decide you may want to actually use and enjoy it more (and my prediction is, you will) you then have a bunch of choices to make.
Good Luck.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will get a lot of answers, because people use their 4-wheelers for different reasons in different parts of the country.

Now for my $.02...

My dad has a 125cc (dont make them anymore) Honda, that works fine for him. 2 wheel drive, electric or manual start, and light as can be. If it gets stuck, jump off, pick the front or back out of the ruts, climb back on and off you go. With a front and rear rack, you can haul out 2 deer at a time, I know, I've done it and because its small, it goes thru the wood easily. It will run about 35 mph and for an 86 yr old man, it works fine.

I have a 350 yamaha, 2-wheel drive, electric start, that is 24 yrs old. When it gets stuck, I winch it out because I cant pick it up and set it out of the ruts. It rides smoother than dads because of a rear shock, hauls loads easier, runs 45 mph, and is easier to ride for long periods of time.

I dont pull trailers, haul loads heaver than deer/hogs, or go mudding, so for what I use my 4 wheeler for, it works great.

For a man of you size, the 350cc on up would be recommended, and MadMooners wish list is a good one!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks everyone! I now will be staying away from the big twin cylinder 680 and look the hardest at the stuff in the 400cc range.

Good chance that sweeite and I would ride together some, so the 400 +/- seem to be capable in that area.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 500cc and upgraded to a 700cc. There have been many times I wished that I didn't do that. The five hundred had plenty of power for what I use it for and was much easier to maneuver. FWIW neither one of them feel real good laying on top of you so be careful and wear your helmet.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/548695/A_Bad_ATV_Weekend#Post548695

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,
Than pay close attention to the seats too.
Sizes vary WIDELY.....AND LONGLY. grin

You do not want her or you (when she drives....and she will) sitting half on the rack.

Have fun.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
400cc+
Electric start
4x4
4 stroke
Independant suspension

Those smaller ringa ding ding 2 strokes are great for throwing dirt and riding around like your butt is on fire, but the noise and smell will not have any benefits for your hunting.

Good luck.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mark,
I've had 6 quads. I usually but not always ride alone and go to the MOST remote places I can find. Cross country, over logs, down creeks, you name it. I've hauled two guys, all archery gear, and one 4 point bull out of the woods on a Honda fourtrax 4x4 300cc. Ive had a Suzuki 300 King Quad with Hi/low range, a Kawasucky 400 4x4 automatic, and four Honda Fourtrax 4x4's. My buddy recently bought a $9600 Suzuki that I have pulled out twice and pulled over a rock pile out of a creek once. The independent suspension machines ride nice, beat you less, which may be very important for you. The newer nicer machines have power steering, and you may want that too. The little machine I have now (Honda) is the most capable machine I've ever seen or ridden. Others ride nicer, bigger machines use more fuel, Honda 3 gallons a day. Your physical condition may warrant checking out the independent suspension power steering machines. Expect to lose off road performance in tight spots with the bigger machines, but in some situations like wet snow, the faster tire speeds of the large machines can really move material. Weight to size ratio on the Fourtrax 4x4 is ideal for crusty snow, go right over the top without sinking in. All in all, size, weight, capability, I myself keep coming back to the Fourtrax. Manual transmissions make roll starting possible where some/all electric start machines this may not be possible. I got 10 years out of my original battery on my first one, never made a single repair, rode it REALLY hard, and out 4x4'd everyone I was with in almost every instance.
Consider your actual use and choose according to YOUR priorities. I'd consider comfort important for you.

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup! 350-400 , but Id get the 4-wheeled drive ones, I have a 250 Honda, its alright but sucks in the snow as its 2 wheel drive. when I went to Sask. bear hunting alot they had mostly 350s after a few years they up graded to the 600s, they were going to go back to the smaller bikes as they call them, the bigger one got stuck more and were harder to get out, as they were alot heaver, and tended to burie them shelves more. good luck and be safe!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Thanks everyone! I now will be staying away from the big twin cylinder 680 and look the hardest at the stuff in the 400cc range.

Good chance that sweeite and I would ride together some, so the 400 +/- seem to be capable in that area.

MARK

You're on the right track. Mid-size quads are far easier to handle than the big boys. 2WD quads are very capable for putzing around but for hunting use, IMO, 4X4 is a must have.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Polaris 500 sportsman 4 stroke and a Polaris 400L 2 stroke.

I think you would appreciate the 4 stroke much more than the 2 stroke as the 2 stroke is much more tuned to fun than work and there are some maint issues to look for when buying a used 2 stroke polaris. The Sportsman is a real workhorse, the HI-LOW-REV variable trans in the sportsman is a great thing for us older guys as you just hit the throttle and go, no shifting to mess with.

When you do any towing or dragging of animals you will want to put it in low range to save wear on the belt. I do a lot of riding in remote areas so I replace the trans belt every 2 years to avoid any problems but I also have been told I'm anal about maint. on my machines. grin

I think any of the main brands with a 4 stroke would suit you fine, just look for it to be taken care of because if you don't do your own work some machines will be cost prohibitive to fix.

Just remember good maint is key to a dependable quad no matter what the brand.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
350-400 CC minimum. Don't even consider a 2 stroke. Fuel mileage isn't really a consideration with ATV's beyond how much the tank will hold and how far you can go on it. They don't use enough for it to really make a difference cost wise.

Get something newer, it's no fun working on worn out old junk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.