Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Husqvarna barreled action in one of these for my sheep rifle. It weighs a tad under seven pounds all up, with five in the magazine and a Leupold 2-7. It is very accurate, and admired by most everyone who handles it.

How much does one of these stocks cost to buy today? I have been asked, but it is so long since I got mine, and the website does not have prices.

The McMillan Edge weighs about six ounces more, but I'm guessing is a lot easier to finish. The Kevlar is a real bear. You will wear out a few razor blades, for sure!

Ted

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ted a pal of mine decided to copy my old Brown Pound'r a couple years ago,and did so with a pre 64 M70,FW barrel. IIRC the Brown, installed, bedded,and painted was about $1200 bucks.

I'm glad I don't have to pay for mine again, but in relative terms they were always more expensive than a fiberglass model.

I have another M70 FW in a Compact Edge that I like really well, but it is a bit heavier,and not as stiff through the forend as the Brown Pound'R.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/04/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brown Precision
Look on the left side under stocks..2012 price list.

Pre-Finished Stocks
All Pre-Finished stocks include steel filled bedding kit to achieve optimum accuracy from your rifle
When ordering Pre-Finished stocks, please state make, model and caliber of rifle.
Premium Pre-Finished Includes choice of recoil pad, length of pull and standard stock colors $695.00
Kevlar Pound�r Option (Premium Pre-Finished only) Add $359.00
Graphite (Premium Pre-Finished only) Highly Recommended Add $75.00
Camouflage finish (Premium Pre-Finished only) Add $95.00
Bedding Pre-Finished stock on your factory barreled action $229.00
Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad (Premium Pre-Finished only) Add $25.00

Stock Blanks
Require exterior preparation and finish, recoil pad installation and �glass bedding
When ordering stocks, please give full details on make, model and caliber of rifle to be stocked
Classic Fiberglass Hunting Style Stocks Includes Uncle Mikes sling swivel studs $365.00
Fiberglass Target and Varmint Style Stocks $365.00
Kevlar Pound�r Available in all Classic Style Hunting stocks. Weighs 15 to 17 ounces $485.00
Filled and Primed A smooth primed exterior ready for final finish and bedding (fiberglass only) add $145.00

Last edited by Oklahoma; 04/04/13.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hmmmm, this makes me curious, as I have two Brown Kevlar stocks from about 1990-91, originally installed by a well-regarded BC 'smith, here in Vancity, Nobby Uno. One is on the first of my pair of original P-64 Mod. 70 Fwts.-one of, IMHO, the finest and most functional/practical hunting rifles ever produced.

The second is on my first HVA "steel BM" in 7x57 and installed by the same 'smith. I have used both of these rifles to take a couple of dozen deer and they are both tackdrivers with good, safe-max. NP loads, my favourite.

So, I just had the Fwt. stock repainted and was most annoyed to find that it chipped at the junction of the mag. box-trigger guard, severely enough so that it must go back to the 'smith I now use who painted it for repair. I hasten to say that this 'smith is excellent and I do not in any respect consider this issue to be his fault.

Given, that I have heard/read, largely here, that Brown Pounder stocks, at least those for the old Remmy 600 rifles, have a tendancy to chip or crack, I wonder if anyone else has had this happen or knows anything about it?

I have been told by well-known BC 'smith, Bill Leeper, posts here as "Greydog" that Brown seems to skimp on the epoxy and their stocks seem mostly fiber, as I understand his comments, so, again, I wonder?

I have several Edge stocks, some of the neatest builds now in my two safes use these, mostly installed by Martini Gunmakers and the chap mentioned above, who has done much work for Ralf and still is a close friend and I also have or have had most of the synthetics produced since the mid-'80s. My impression is, at present, that the Micky Edge stocks are superior to ANY others.

I rate the Borden-Rimrocks next and am very pleased, far more than I expected to be when I received the raw blanks, with the three Bansners I now have.One is on another very light HVA build, a .280 with a Fwt. Kreiger tube, Talley ULs and steel BM....very choice little "mountain rifle".The others are on one of my customized Brno 21/22 rifles, a rechamber to .280 Rem. and the last on a F.I.E. Musketeer, a stonemine piece in .308Norma, that a friend gave me....perhaps the "best" .300 maggie for BC hunting conditions.

Overall, I doubt that, while owning and using several of them for some 27 years and liking the design, I would buy/use another Brown as the Mickys seem a much better product and the Bansners are a far better "deal"....so, what say you gentlemen, is the issue of chipping with Browns one that you have encountered?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kutenay: My stock inventory over the years is just like yours...I have had no chipping issues with the Pound'R,although the pad has been on there for so long I forget and is starting to disintigrate grin. I shot it just yesterday with its' new Brux tube.

I would say the Browns are not as "nice" as a McMillan...require more work to finish up and came out of the molds "tough".But the Pound'R is the lightest of the bunch,very rigid and I can move the forend on any of the others by squeezing with my hands on about any of them.....it takes a lot more pressure to even move the Pound'r...the Kevlar/Graphite mix must be the reason;there is no fiberglass far as I know.

All the stocks you mention have been great;just minor variations. The McMillans and the Borden RR are the "nicest" but I have had good service over long periods with the Bansners and Browns, too.

I should pay special note to the Borden RR,which is superb.I have had one I bought on here from BWalker and wish I could find another. I love that stock and it is presently a 7 mag bedded by Redneck.That stock is closest thing I have seen to an Echols Legend,wich is a great stockfor the magnum cartridges with correct fill.Mine is an Edge on my Mashburn.

I like the high, straight comb,and small grip of the Pound'R,although the forend is fuller.Every time I think I need a lighter rifle I pick the old thing up and save myself some money....I would have to go Kimber Montana 7/08 to save enough weight and make me happy.
smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've got two brown pounder stocks. one on a 270 rem721. chipped out behind magizine anear trigger guard, this happened many years after rifle was built.last stock i purchased was a basner sheephunter very light easy to finish. the 270 dates back to the begining.can't put a year on it. Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Premium Pre-Finished Includes choice of recoil pad, length of pull and standard stock colors $695.00
Kevlar Pound�r Option (Premium Pre-Finished only) Add $359.00"

Holy s***!

I've had five Brown stocks, two on factory Remington FS models and three of their premium pre-finished models and while they are good stocks they ain't worth that much money. It would have been only four stocks but one I bought cracked in the action area right away and had to be replaced.

The standard Brown stock is going to be lighter than a McMillan but you are limited to a very few stock styles and none with checkering. Then you add $359 for the pound'r option!? That's $1,054 for a stock when you can get an Edge completely finished with pad, paint and studs for $569 if you buy it from Rick here at 24hcf.

Again, Brown makes a nice stock but McMillan just blows them away with options and prices.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Brown pre-finished stocks I've had do show paint chipping very easily.

Not saying it just flakes off in your hand, but they do chip. My current one has some areas where paint came off. I haven't bought a pre-finished in several years but the ones I did buy all came with a bottle of touch up paint - kind of sends a message.

FWIW, the Remington FS stocks, which are Brown Precision stocks in a Remington-only pattern, have not shown that same tendency to chip. Perhaps they used a bit better quality of paint on those?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ted, from Brown:

"The Kevlar Pound'r stocks are selling for $495 plus shipping. Shipping to Canada will run about $50 for one stock and $60 for two (including insurance, etc).

We are currently running 8-10 weeks behind on all stock blanks."

That price for the blank of course.

Last edited by RickF; 04/04/13.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That sounds more like it! Thanks Rick.

The green machine has been switched between 30-06, 270, and 7X57, and is still ticking. Will be a 270 for my sheep hunt this Fall.

No chips or cracks, just good old legitimate hunting scrapes and carry memories.

Ted

IC B3

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The Brown pre-finished stocks I've had do show paint chipping very easily.

Not saying it just flakes off in your hand, but they do chip. My current one has some areas where paint came off. I haven't bought a pre-finished in several years but the ones I did buy all came with a bottle of touch up paint - kind of sends a message.

FWIW, the Remington FS stocks, which are Brown Precision stocks in a Remington-only pattern, have not shown that same tendency to chip. Perhaps they used a bit better quality of paint on those?

Jim,

I was curious as to whether the stocks that exhibited the chipping were finished by Brown, or done by others, until reading your post. If the Kevlar whiskers are not removed properly, could that be the cause of the problem? Strange that the factory pre-finished stocks chipped, but the same stocks for Remington did not.

One of our conservation officers up here has a Wolf synthetic on his Remington 308 Win Model 7 mountain rifle, and has had problems with it. He and I rebedded it three years ago, and it has been fine since, although the factory barrel has never shot as well as any of the Husqvarnas.

Ted

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The guy that built my Custom Mauser, 30'06 used alot of Brown Pounders as well as lots of McMillians. He had "a couple," out of dozens, that delaminated for his customers. I might add that he still used them back then, but they weren't his first choice.
When he did my mauser, he recommended the MPI Kevlar stocks. Backed them up with his personal guarantee, etc. Of a couple of dozen of those, two developed surface cracks. None went through or caused any structural damage. He took both back, refinished them and resold them. Both had been working fine on their new owner's rifles when I last talked to him.
I've got two of them. One, on an M70, has taken two really bad falls. One of those had the rifle flipping off of my shoulder and went cartwheeling in the air to hit the ground as I took the fall. The other was a simple toss of the rifle which resulted in it's landing on rocky ground. No stock damage other than a few dings, etc.
Riding on rough 4WD trails, secured to the empty front seat has resulted in some paint rubbing off on the mauser. The stock under it is fine at the shiny spot. It, too, has gone down hard w/o significant damage.
Both stocks weigh 18 ozs. ready to bolt up. The M70 stock was purchased as a blank, and fitted to the rifle. It took a whole six weeks to order and pick up ready to shoot. It cost me $440 total about 7-8 yrs. ago. Unlike the graphite renforced McMillian Fwt. Stock it replaced, this classic stock has no problems with the forend bending when using a shooting sling.
So, you might consider a Kevlar MPI. E

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do Brown stocks have checkering on them, specifically the Pound'r?

Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rman
Do Brown stocks have checkering on them, specifically the Pound'r?

Thanks.

R.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have an unfinished stock for pre-64 featherweight , i'll ck and see if it may be a pounder.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
too heavy, 24 oz

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I took delivery of a non-Kevlar Pounder for a small Sako in January. I think it has some carbon fiber in it. It cost $566.00 delivered. I love the Brown Pounder. They do not have checkering. Mark said they are extremely busy. I can't recall the exact number, but Mark and his staff are building or stocking hundreds of rifles every year in their shop. I was surprised. I thought everyone had gone to the more vertical grip style with Manners, AG, etc. and made from carbon fiber, but apparently there is still lots of demand for the more traditional fiberglass stocks. Without a pad and before trimming for LOP, mine weighs 18 oz. If you enjoy doing your own work (bedding, installing a pad and painting) the Brown Pounder is a great option. Also, once you've done your work on it, you can send it back to Brown and they'll paint it for you for a reasonable price.

As far as paint chipping, I think Brown uses a Zolatone architectural type paint and I think they have some of their own color recipes. With Zolatone, or any textured paint, the key is to rough the surface with 40-50-60 grit paper. The texture will fill in the striations left by the course grit. Also, you can paint it yourself with Zolatone using a PreVal cartridge sprayer and then you can touch it up whenever you want at very little cost.

Last edited by Tarquin; 04/08/23.

Tarquin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I took delivery of a non-Kevlar Pounder for a small Sako in January. I think it has some carbon fiber in it. It cost $566.00 delivered. I love the Brown Pounder. They do not have checkering. Mark said they are extremely busy. I can't recall the exact number, but Mark and his staff are building or stocking hundreds of rifles every year in their shop. I was surprised. I thought everyone had gone to the more vertical grip style with Manners, AG, etc. and made from carbon fiber, but apparently there is still lots of demand for the more traditional fiberglass stocks. Without a pad and before trimming for LOP, mine weighs 18 oz. If you enjoy doing your own work (bedding, installing a pad and painting) the Brown Pounder is a great option. Also, once you've done your work on it, you can send it back to Brown and they'll paint it for you for a reasonable price.

Good info. However, when did Brown ever make a PoundR stock without kevlar??? Don't know what or who gunscrew was talking to either. This is also a 10 year old thread. Yet the PoundR stock still has a following. If you go back and read from the start, there were some great points made about the PoundR stock, that some guys may not know. One in which they are a major pain in the AZZ to modify the inletting on. Because of the kevlar fibers. They are not like a regular ol Mcmillan fiberglass stock, or any other stock you may encounter. However, they are awesome and very stiff and lightweight. I have 2 PoundR stocks and I am extremely thankful I did not have to modify that one, except to glass bed it. That is on a semi custom pre 64 model 70 338 win mag:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This rifle will make a Tikka cry and run. It's a shooter and a looker:

The latest one I bought less than a year ago and I started a thread on it in the Winchester collectors forum. Got lucky when I found it on ebay and sniped it on the last second and paid $400 for it:

The barrel channel is inletted for the pre 64 model 70 standard weight barrel, and it fit like a glove with the proper amount of freefloat that I like.

However, the action inletting needed to be slightly modified, for a perfect fit. I think it took its toll on my dremel. Also, the kevlar fibers are really tough to cut. Someone else in this thread said they used razor blades. I did that and also a mini torch.

I also had to remove the old glass bedding. That was not difficult at all (as per usual). But the damn kevlar was the problem. The finished stock weighed around 24 oz's after red pachmayr, paint and glass bedding.

Now, 10 years after this thread was started, I can say Brown precision prices have not gone down any. The last I heard was they are well over $1,000.00 for just the stock. Then if you want to pay them to glass bed it and finish it, you may be into it for about $1,600.00 by the time they are done. They are spendy, but you would be very hard pressed to find a tougher lightweight stock... Now, I have twin rifles. The last one pictured is a 300WBY pre 64 and it also holds 4 in the magazine, like my 338wm shown above. Both rifles shoot lights out. After checking accuracy after the stock change and glass bedding, this is what the 300wby did:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Kevlar makes the pounder.

The stock patterns are the same. It’s simply the addition of Kevlar; it’s the same stock other than that. It’s like McMillan and edge shell (obviously graphite in that example.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.