Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Anybody have any experience with this scope? I've always considered myself a bit of snob when it comes to optics and somewhat leary of the "latest and greatest". I've had a good experience with Leupolds and slummed a Nikon Monarch or two, but Vortex seems to have hit the nail on the head with this scope as far as features are concerned. Similar features but more field-friendly than the PST.

30mm Tube
44mm Objective (not Hubble-esque at 50 or 56)
Exposed elevation/capped windage turrets
1/2 MOA elevation clicks
Servicable BDC reticle w/ well-defined hashes
No illuminated reticle nonsense

Tracking reports have been favorable on the Vipers and PSTs. Can't find light transmission numbers published anywhere. Seems like you'd spend several hundred dollars more on a Leupy with similar features (VX3 4.5-14 LR) once you added an M1 turret. Anybody have any experience with this scope?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes sir, I ran one for awhile. I had 2 dislikes, the crosshair was too fine for my eyes and I prefer 1/4min clicks as opposed to 1/2min. The operation of the scope and the glass are great. Just couldnt see that fine crosshair especially under lowlight conditions.
Hope this helps,
Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two 6-24 HS Vipers FFP with XLR reticle on order.
You can now order the the HS with the 1/4 MOA turret. The 1/2 MOA elevation turret was my big problem with the 6-24 scope.
That problem is now solved smile

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great scope for the $$ !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your a optics snob, the glass on the viper wont cut it for you.I tried one and sold it.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Myself looking through a few I agree with crow or the optics seemed fuzzy and they feel cheep to me.

Good Shooting!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
duckman,
I ran one on my long range dog rifle a 7mmRM. With my failing eyes I thought the glass was pretty decent. I would use the side focus constantly and then focus the hairs with the eye piece. For me 1/2 minute elevation was fast and accurate. Preferred over 1/4 minute for my application of the scope. If I were to use it as a primary all around hunting scope the cross hairs are IMO to thin & would be tough in low light. Personally the BDC stuff is useless at best being in the SFP which basically means you can only use it on 16x. And the spacing just isn't right for me. I'd prefer closer slashes for ranging and real fast hold over in the FFP.

I think the Viper HS LR was money well spent and if I ever do it again I would buy another. Hope that helps. But if you are an optics snob the best I can say is try one...you might like it.

Cheers,
Wild Bill

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the midmayusa special 5-15X44 which is pretty much the same thing,except it has 1/10th mil adjustments and a mildot recticle. I absolutly love this scope. I feel the glass is just as good as my leupold VX-3 4.5-14X40 if not better. I will agree that the recticle is on the thin side, but I have had no issues with it. Elevation clicks are positive and return to zero. I would gladly trade the leupold Vari X III and Leupold VX-3 that I have for 2 of these scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have that exact scope and in my limited usage so far I'm impressed.
I bought it after I read that John Barsness liked his sample well enough that he used his own money to purchase it after the testing was done.
Like you said, great features for the price and it fit my needs perfectly.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have 3 of the midway 5-15's. I love the features, size, and weight. The glass is decent but even my weaver grand slams appear to have better lenses. I also wish the eye box was a little more forgiving but I really like the mil/mil of the midway model. I've had one on my 300 wsm that only weighed 7#s before it was scoped. It's been holding up to 208 amaxs, maintains zero, dials right, and is shooting 1/2-1/4" groups at 100 yards.

I've been eyeing the newer VX-3 3.5-10's and liking the new glass. I may have to try a few of them on some of my hunting guns again. I always liked the eye box on them and the size and weight but had a few where a 1/4" click just wasn't 1/4". I've heard the new ones are more consistant and I like the glass. Wished they made a mil/mil with a turret that wasn't as tall as the M1 but bigger than the cds.

Bb

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
612 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.