Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In thinking onyx should ace JR's. have tests 05/05 and 05/12 then probably the double header at Sauvies Island Ore to wrap that up.

Onyx is doing 100+ yd marks super well and we are working on 75-80yd blinds. He's still rough on whistle sits and that's likely all that I holding him back from being a great handling dog.

Fingers crossed that we can get a senior pass or 2 by end of summer

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds great.
is he doing whistle sits well enough to recast ?
how are his line manners and honoring ?
talking to some people, the honoring fails alot of dogs.

it seems the jump from jr to sr is quite a step. i am going to go watch sr this go around so i can get a feel for what's going on.
it's a double mark, the first being a memory, then a blind.
I wanna see how they set it all up and watch the handlers and dogs closely.
no collars, no talking to the dog, no touching. all the dog following at heel your body positions.
cheryl told me you get one handle in the sr marks. the blind is judged on how well the dog takes casts.

guess we will both see how well we home trained and progress with our dogs.
i am happy with the level trap is right now for any hunting situations we may encounter.
the doggie games are for fun during the off hunting season, and to confirm the higher training levels we achieve.
it sure beats the both both of us sitting on the couch all summer and getting fat.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Splatt,

I'm glad to hear Trap is doing good for you, sounds like his next 2 JR's should go easy and he's well on the way to Sr's. Onyx is doing very well. He stops on the whistle am eventually sits (3-5 seconds) and definitely recasts but isn't as "crisp" as he will be so.

So far Onyx has awesome line manners with super rare breaks and he is easily stopped and reheeled but I have yet to see a dog that has never broke. He is still a bit rough on honoring but I don't see me attempting a senior test until July or August. At this point we still need to do a little more work on the whistle sits, handling and blinds then onto honoring.

I agree, all I want in the end is a good bird dog. I would be content with a jr title and the ability to handle. Unfortunately my dog has way too much bloodlines not to try for master hunter to make him worth breeding.

My dog is out of an FC- AFC stud with multiple generations of FC, AFC, NFC,Master Hunter and Master National Hunters. He has produced several AFC, NFC and Master National dogs. So the pedigree is there to succeed and if he does I would love to spread the bloodlines.

All that aside my focus is my 4 Jr tests before Memorial Day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey buddy,
How is onyx doing?
Updates, pics!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Today we built a wood chip bin as Onyx has learned to void in chips. Seems he may like the chips better then his dog bed for napping so we may soon extend that bin to span the end of his kennel.

[Linked Image]

Did a little obedience work today as he has had time off am is a little rusty. He's such a cool dog. So mellow on his short trips in the house and just loves to cuddle but is an animal when working.

[Linked Image]

He absolutely lives and breaths to retrieve.
[Linked Image]

Hopefully I will have some better pics of my new boy soon

I know I have a new pup. I know I have admitted to myself I'm too old to be chasing/hunting with a flushing dog. But GOD, I miss my 2 Labs. Had the 1st one for over 10 years. Got the 2nd one a year before my first one left me and had my Bridger dog for 11 years. THANK you for your pictures. Enjoy your dog.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.