24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I have a JC Higgins Model 50 that is missing the rear sight -- does anyone know where to find one? I have looked at Brownell's with no luck, so wondering if there is a part that is interchangeable with this gun.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The one thing about those Higgins is they have strange looking rear sites. Some had elevator sites that are different backwards to what we are use to seeing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The early ones do have a backwards rear sight. Later ones use the standard dovetailed rear sight with elevator.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I probably have a box of them somewhere, PM me if you want me to look but you can use a lot of aftermarket sights that are usually better.
Does yours have the raised block or slotted barrel?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
NT,

I used this rear sight for my 51 as I couldn't stand the open dovetail. From the looks of the bluing wear on my rifle, it had the older ramp/wedge style rear sight but I couldn't track one of those down so I went with the simple dovetail w/ adjustable elevator. Slid right into the dovetail with just a little persuasion.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516164/lyman-rear-folding-leaf-sight-16b-345-high-elevates-to-445

Last edited by 32_20fan; 04/24/13.
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Nighttrain,

I also have a JC Higgins Model 50 that is missing the rear site, and I have given up looking for the exact replacement, although like 458Win says, he and others may have them in boxes somewhere. It appears most eveyone took the sight off so a scope you clear.

I purchased the one I have as a donor, but made the common mistake of shooting it and now I cannot make myself take the barrel off.

I think some of the aftermarket sights will work, but may need a little work with a file to fit the dovetail correctly. I will look into that over the next few days myself, and if I find something I will get back to you. With my bad eyes I don't need open sights, but I would like to give it to one of my grandchildren and they all see very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too used to always pull the barrels on those rifles as I read they were not accurtate - but now know that you can't trust everything gunwriters say wink

I know now that many of those rifles shot very well - plus many also had chrome lined barrels, which is a big asset in wet country

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
I too used to always pull the barrels on those rifles as I read they were not accurtate - but now know that you can't trust everything gunwriters say wink

I know now that many of those rifles shot very well - plus many also had chrome lined barrels, which is a big asset in wet country

The J.C. Higgins Model 50 is very accurate - so much so that you can rebarrel one and you'll be lucky if the $500 you'll spend doing it gives you a rifle that shoots as well as it did before.

I can't believe that anyone who actually shot one would write otherwise.

Anyway, the early 50s had a sight that mounted on the very rear of the barrel, like the one shown:

[Linked Image]

Later Model 50s had a boss soldered to the barrel and a similar looking sight mounted the other way around.

Last edited by natman; 04/26/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last one I picked up a year ago had the blocky sight base soldered on as well as a checkered dark walnut stock with a cheek piece that appears to be done by the factory. It also didn't have the plastic white spacers on the grip cap that is usually the distinctive feature that sets them apart in the sales rack.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Phil, that sounds more like a Model 51, either that or someone put an M51 stock on the gun.

On another note, one M50 I got into on the cheap was chambered to the .270 Win. and had that dovetail with the backwards rear sight. I just did not like the looks of that dovetail right over the chamber so when I decided I wanted a 7x57, you know which M50 was the donor. coolI might have a spare M50 sight in my junk box but it's in the shed and almost 90 in the shade right now. Shed'll be a lot hotter. frown
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just purchased one of these jc higgins model 50 rifles in .270 mine has the soldered on sight base on the barrel
Was looking for the correct original replacement rear sight and ramp for this model.
Found /purchased the original 2.5x scope and rings and bases for they had also been changed and or removed so one step ahead!
If you have the ramp and rear sight to sell please contact me for would really like to get this rifle back to stock configuration and that's the last parts needed to do it.
thanks and regards
keith

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Found the sight and ramp so just waiting on the post mistress now. Thanks SuperCub

Last edited by thornett; 10/16/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.