Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A buddy of mine passed away last month and I am helping his widow sell some of his possessions. There is a 1998 Kawasaki 300 4-wheeler that I had to move. It starts fine and operates fine in all forward gears, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to shift it into reverse.

There is a Reverse button on the "dash", but no combination of brake, shift pedal and reverse button seems to work.

Is there some sort of double-dutch secret password combination of actions that will accomplish this seemingly simple task?

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Reverse button is a throttle over-ride, so if you need more power while in reverse. On mine, you have to have your foot on the foot pedal brake & of course, be totally stopped before I can shift into reverse gear. Hope this is helpfull

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/25/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
So if you have it in neutral, you turn the knob to the right holding onto it, step down once on the shifter; nothing happens?

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a '99 Kaw 300 Bayou. The reverse button on the dash blocks the gear shift so you can't shift to reverse by accident. You have to hold the button while you shift. Sometimes the pedal will hang up some and it's necessary to shift to 1st then back down again. On mine, it's not necessary to brake while you shift.

It's very possible that the clutch needs to be adjusted. Remove the trapezoidal shaped plate just behind the foot brake. Under it is a screw with a nut on it. Hold the screw and loosen the nut. Turn the screw clockwise until its tight. Turn the screw counterclockwise until it starts to get tight. Hold it secure and tighten the nut.

Another possibility is that the reverse knob cable free play needs adjusting. Trace the cable from the knob to its lower end under the gear shift. Turn the knob until the cable just starts to move the shift lever. Put a mark on the knob or watch the handle on it move. It should move about 2 to 3mm before the lever starts to move. If not, adjust the lower cable end with the adjustment lock nuts.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the responses. It turns out the cable from the reverse knob to the transmission was broken...but it could be shifted by pulling on the end of the cable that was still attached to the transmission. I guess it would be a great anti theft device.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/27/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.