Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was given a model 187 Series A 22 LR rifle several years ago that was buried in an orange grove for who knows how long.

The bolt and everything else was froze up solid.
I started soaking it in diesel fuel about two or three years ago and forgot about it. Well with the talk about another rifle here at the fire I remembered about my gun and today I got the itch.

I was able to take the barrel off and clean it real good and I was amazed that it was not pitted it is like brand new. I cleaned the feeder tube tube.
I removed the breach plug and cleaned that as well.

The bolt was giving me some troubles but I was able to get that cycling as well.

Every thing is clean and functioning with the exception of feeding the bullets. It will not feed. It looks as if someone had worked on it before because some of the screw heads were stripped and rounded.

I tried turning the bullet stop upside down and it worked a little bit better but it will not push the bullets up to chamber.

I looked at Brownell's for a schematic but they do not have one for that rifle.
Does anyone here at the fire have one or have a picture of how this is suppose to go together.

Any help will be appreciated

Last edited by funshooter; 04/28/13.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like your rifle has a lifter spring that's toast.

My then-new wife gifted me one of those she went out & bought new, for our first Christmas together in 1965 - and it was my only rifle for the next few years, until after I was discharged from the military.

[Linked Image]

She's STILL doing so - last Christmas, it was a T/C Hot Shot .22 single-shot.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thank you it looks like I need to turn the one piece back over and I will try looking on line for the spring. If I can not find it or I can not get it up to speed I guess I will need to take it to a gunsmith.

Thanks again for the help

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can't help you with the feed problem. The Springfield model 187N was my only .22 for many years($39.95 in 1971) the only problem I had was firing pins. I had broken firing pins replaced three times over the years(probably 80,000 rounds total)

With those little respected Remington Thunderbolts, I could shoot the primers out of shotshell hulls at 25 yards. It also liked Winchester .22 LONGS.(find those today)

Numrich probably has the spring.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
This thing looks really bad on the out side but the inside and every thing covered by the stock looks real good.
I would like to get it shooting for a trainer.

Some body did work on it before as was not to good at it. So it my take some time

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're a nice rifle but they do have their secrets. Once you ferret them out you own them. Feed assemblies show up on eBay all the time. While we may not feel for ebay they have more 87, 187, 287 et. al. parts than all the Gunbroker, Action Arms etc. sites.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (160user, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.