Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an old Cabela's Alaknak tent (12x12 single center pole, 3ft side walls) made back before they made them fancy with cup holders, etc. It leaks at a few seams in the rain. I've tried the usual seam sealer stuff in the little bottle with the sponge applicator on top but it didn't seem to help much. I remember reading here (I think) about people using silicone caulk mixed with a solvent of some sort to seal seams. Or at least that is what I recall. In any case, can you please suggest how I might seal these seams to prevent water leaking in during a rain storm? Just so you know, the tent seams appear to still be in good shape. I can't really see any major holes or tears or anything like that which is why I think it is just leaking at the seams. Thanks for any help.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Years ago i bought a product called Camp dry. It was in a spray can. Sealed the seams on 2 leaky tents. No more leaks. Don't remember where i got it or if it is even made any more.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is SilNylon, McNett SilNet diluted w/ mineral spirits is what I've used with great success. I use a small foam brush to paint it on. If it's PU coated nylon (more likely given the make and model), McNett Seam Grip is more appropriate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by test1328
I have an old Cabela's Alaknak tent (12x12 single center pole, 3ft side walls) made back before they made them fancy with cup holders, etc. It leaks at a few seams in the rain. I've tried the usual seam sealer stuff in the little bottle with the sponge applicator on top but it didn't seem to help much. I remember reading here (I think) about people using silicone caulk mixed with a solvent of some sort to seal seams. Or at least that is what I recall. In any case, can you please suggest how I might seal these seams to prevent water leaking in during a rain storm? Just so you know, the tent seams appear to still be in good shape. I can't really see any major holes or tears or anything like that which is why I think it is just leaking at the seams. Thanks for any help.

I've used the silicone and spirits to seal up a couple of seams and it works great.

Buy a tube of silicone caulk, some mineral spirits, and a small (cheap) paint brush. Mix the two in a small disposable paint bucket until you have a fairly thick, yet brushable consistency. Set up your tent, and "paint" the seams with the mixture.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I doubt the silicone will stick wher it was sealed before. If it were mine I would seal the inside seams like recommended above.

Ed T

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

I've used the silicone and spirits to seal up a couple of seams and it works great.

Buy a tube of silicone caulk, some mineral spirits, and a small (cheap) paint brush. Mix the two in a small disposable paint bucket until you have a fairly thick, yet brushable consistency. Set up your tent, and "paint" the seams with the mixture.

You could go through all of that OR you could just pick up a tube Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield Sealant 81730

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8173...&keywords=permatex+flowable+silicone

and a few Flux brushes and do a nice neat job of it. McNetts is used by folks who haven't gotten the word about this stuff. Lots cheaper and much mo' better.

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Seams on good quality tent are sealed with tape. Maybe you should check to see if you can get some of that.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by KC

Seams on good quality tent are sealed with tape. Maybe you should check to see if you can get some of that.

KC

All the tape sealed seams on tents are heat sealed.... not really possible without some specialized equipment.

Ed T

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by KC

KC

All the tape sealed seams on tents are heat sealed.... not really possible without some specialized equipment.

too bad

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'd recommend that you go to Kenyon and order a bottle of Recoat 3. (Kenyonconsumer.com) This is similar to the little bottles with applicators, but is a 10 oz. jar that you can apply with a 1" paint brush. Paint your problem areas liberally. Almost guaranteed to do the job.

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
826 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.