Campfire Outfitter
K

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fuzzy was he?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You otter give 'em a what fur!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Fuzzy was he?

And continues to be, even. smile It wasn't anything like flying a chopper while getting shot at, but leaning down and out of the truck with the door propped open against the wind with left foot/leg, while on a turn, in the passing lane on the highway and snatching him barehanded on the go might've impressed someone. Maybe.

That someone ain't gonna' be Mrs. KG though, unless I get the blood off her seat before her next ride!

wink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gonna tan it? It's a beaut.

Last edited by poboy; 05/04/13.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by poboy
Gonna tan it? It's a beaut.

That's my hope. I'm going to see about calling F&G and see if I can get a tag. A buddy did that with a fisher cat. Said they generally didn't like folks grabbing roadkill, but let him slide. He'd just been killed. No rigor and blood was still running (don't ask me how I know that, but suffice it to say I got a few interesting looks as I walked into the office...)

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just got off the phone with an EPO Sgt., and he said I was all set, just to mention his name and call F&W Monday for a tag.

Anyone have a good contact/recommendation for case tanning furs, I'd appreciate it. Preferably in New England, but shipping isn't that big of an issue. As the bastards have essentially taken trapping away from us in MA, I don't have the foggiest idea about this stuff. Appreciate any help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a big one, compared to the river otters I saw in CA. Give a short whistle they will often come to investigate.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am I the only one who was expecting a 3 stooges vid? crazy

Good snag, KG. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
That's a big one, compared to the river otters I saw in CA. Give a short whistle they will often come to investigate.

I've seen a few over the years, always in rivers. I know where there's a small population of them along a stretch of river near me.

[Linked Image]

I also managed to capture a couple of amorous sea otters in SE Alaska that I sneaked up on and caught doing the nasty (not my intent but when he jumped her I thought, WTH, it's a NG moment... smile ) .

The males are mean SOBs, biting and scratching their ladies while doing their thing. That one lady otter saw me, and hauled tail for the water. Her 'man', persistent as ever, was dragged with her, literally hanging on to her and leaving drag marks in the rocky beach...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kamo_gari; 05/04/13.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tan my own, but never seem to get the suppleness of a pro tanning outfit. Moyle's has a good reputation. Go to trapperman.com and start a thread. Our trappin' forum below has good people - not much traffic tho.

Last edited by poboy; 05/04/13.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by poboy
I tan my own, but never seem to get the suppleness of a pro tanning outfit. Moyle's has a good reputation. Go to trapperman.com and start a thread. They will walk you thru it.

I'd dearly love to, really I would, but as my current residence is a condo/loft, with one large room, that ain't gonna' happen. I do appreciate the input very much, however, and thanks.

On a related note, I told the wife recently that we're moving soon. I need some land, a garage, a basement and a barn. It's nice, but I'm tired of being cramped up in that damned place.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
KG what have you done with the otter ie is it in the freezer or cold storage to preserve the fur,or did you skin it and put it in cold storage?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
KG what have you done with the otter ie is it in the freezer or cold storage to preserve the fur,or did you skin it and put it in cold storage?

I put some ice on it and it's currently in my truck in a box in the garage. Grabbed him 3 hours ago on my way to work. What I'd like to do is simply put him in my game freezer at home whole, and after getting the tag(s), send him as is to someone I'll happily pay to case skin and tan for me. I don't want to botch the job. I've skinned a few critters in my day, including large critters like bear, but never case skinned anything. Any suggestions gratefully accepted, and thank you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
not that hard just take your time and use a small blade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I put some ice on it and it's currently in my truck in a box in the garage. Grabbed him 3 hours ago on my way to work. What I'd like to do is simply put him in my game freezer at home whole, and after getting the tag(s), send him as is to someone I'll happily pay to case skin and tan for me. I don't want to botch the job. I've skinned a few critters in my day, including large critters like bear, but never case skinned anything. Any suggestions gratefully accepted, and thank you.
You are doing it right,cool it off and freeze it.Don't know if this would do any good,but,just a suggestion put the otter in panty hose then freeze it. It may make it easier to skin,but again it's a suggestion.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks kindly, sir. I appreciate the advice.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
You're welcome. smile

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/04/13. Reason: cannot spell today

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not sayin' otters are mean just because they can rip your face off and eat before you say 'Dayum!'. But you gotta give 'em credit for attitude...they eat 'gators.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Not sayin' otters are mean just because they can rip your face off and eat before you say 'Dayum!'. But you gotta give 'em credit for attitude...they eat 'gators.

I didn't know that. The ones I've seen eating were into fish, happily eating their heads off. That is an impressive critter, and to see then swim and maneuver underwater is an amazing thing. They're pretty well rounded little badasses. wink Here's a monkey that learned that the h-a-r-d way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.