Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went camping again this weekend, and took a few pictures. Though I'd share them, and help liven this area up.
<br>
<br>Here's a typical Forest Service cabin...
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>The tides will keep ya busy. That's our inflatable half way back up to the cabin. The water is at the far left side of this picture...
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>We got 'kicked out' this morning, so my wife could make breakfast in peace. That explains my youngest's wild hair. So we walked the flats and turned over rocks looking for tiny crabs to pick up...
<br>
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>It's very fuzzy, but we saw a deer way down the beach...
<br>
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Here's the same deer (barely a spot in this view) zoomed out...
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>Well, that's all from this trip. The weather wasn't co-operating, and the camera didn't come out much. Got two more cabin trips planned next month though. Hope to catch some bears and salmon runs.

Brian

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BW,
<br>
<br>Is that a permanent mooring bouy that your boat is tied up to? If not, what kind of set up is it?
<br>
<br>Very cool pics. You can post those any day!!!
<br>
<br>Bill

BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Westman,
<br>
<br>Yes, that's a permanent mooring bouy. They are provided at most the Forest Service cabins around S.E. Alaska. Of course many of the cabins are not located next to the ocean, so naturally they don't have them. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Except for a couple exceptions, the bouys are 'first come, first serve' for any user of the National Forest. That means that even though you have the cabin reserved, it's possible that somebody else may be using the bouy, IF they are hiking, etc. in the area. Commercial users (Guides, tour boats, etc.) are not suppose to use them.
<br>
<br>Even if somebody is using the bouy, it's common practice to also moor up to the bouy, and tie with the other boat. We just talk to whoever is there first, and make sure to actually tie off to the bouy also (as opposed to just tieing off to the first boat) so that anyone can leave without leaving the other boat drifting.
<br>
<br>It sure beats hanging on the anchor, as the mooring bouys are much more secure. That area has a mud bottom though, which seems to be the best for anchoring. Sand, hard, and gravel bottoms are the worst, as it seems the anchor alway drags in those conditions.
<br>
<br>Much easier to get a good nights sleep, when you don't have to worry about dragging anchor, and drifting into rocks. When I'm sleeping on the boat, I set my GPS anchor alarm and my depth finder alarm. Still, I end up waking up several times a night checking our position.

Brian

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.