Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey All,

I received my McMillan stock and plan on having my gunsmith bed it in the next month or so. I've got a hunt coming up in 2 weeks and wanted to see if I could shoot it a bit with the McMillan and see how it shoots before bedding.

When I put it all together, the bbl is off of center and will need to be adjusted a bit. I'll have my smith look at that and see if its a barrel issue or an inletting issue. Will see if it causes me any issues with it not being dead center right now.

My main issue is I can close the floorplate but it will not release when I press the release button. If I push the button and pull hard on the floorplate, it will release. It almost looks as if the trigger guard and floorplate arent sitting flush into the stock as nicely as they should be. Do people run into this issue much with the Rugers? Any advice?

Gunsmith will get to play with it to fix it, but after waiting 6 months I'm hoping I can get it out and shoot it a bit as-is....will see what I can figure out as I look closer but any tips would be great.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The issues you described are exactly what I was faced with when I received my McMillan Ruger Hunter a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately the problems were easily identified and corrected with minimal effort on my part.

1. Barrel off centre - I noticed stock material being scraped off by one of the front corners of the action and I figured that was causing the barreled action to sit right of centre. Two minutes with a dremel confirmed that was the problem.

2. Floorplate not releasing - This was more tricky, but I found once I got the floorplate into a position where it would release every time I filled the sides with JB weld to remove the side by side play and that eliminated the issue.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by 604shooter; 05/05/13.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks man! I'll take some looking and see if I can figure out what you mean tonight. If you have any pics of where you made those adjustments I'd be curious. I'll do some lookin for sure!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Same issue I had with my Ruger Mcmillan. I found that the action hole spacing was actually off in my stock. I had to run a rat-tail file into the rear pillar to free up room or everything was binding up. It was mentioned to mcmillan and they called BS, and claimed it fit when it left their shop.

I won't be doing anymore Mcmillans for Rugers. Second time I have issues with a Ruger Mcmillan.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I ordered a Mcmillan for a Ruger in January, they said it would be prudent to send the barreled action in for fitting.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did that in the past, they still managed to screw it up. Ruger is funky due to that stupid lug design.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I ordered a Mcmillan for a Ruger in January, they said it would be prudent to send the barreled action in for fitting.

Ya, not really an option for me being in Canada.

I got the bbl centering issue sorted out last night and have the floorplate working good now. The mag box is a TOUCH loose though and will leave it with my gunsmith to bed it and sort out any other issues. So far so good!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What did you get in a Ruger Trev? Just curious...

Rob
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rob,

Bought a 338WM on a Ruger M77 MKII stainless. Now sitting in a McMillan Ruger Classic with a 2-7x33 LR Duplex up top. Bought it for my grizz hunt and a couple weeks ago it was shooting 210 TSX into nice 1/2" groups so should do the job nicely!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Rob,

Bought a 338WM on a Ruger M77 MKII stainless. Now sitting in a McMillan Ruger Classic with a 2-7x33 LR Duplex up top. Bought it for my grizz hunt and a couple weeks ago it was shooting 210 TSX into nice 1/2" groups so should do the job nicely!

Very nice!

Must be nice to hunt Grizzlies....expect some pics of a big one!

Rob
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are ya liking the ergos on that McM Ruger Classic, Trev? I've been thinking about one for my 375Ruger.

David

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wrongside
How are ya liking the ergos on that McM Ruger Classic, Trev? I've been thinking about one for my 375Ruger.

David

Love it after handling it for a day or two. Will let ya know how I like it after I shoot it, but overall it seems very nice so far!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rackmastr

Love it after handling it for a day or two. Will let ya know how I like it after I shoot it, but overall it seems very nice so far!

Cool, Thnx!

Hopefully it's still shooting like a gopher gun for you!

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only have one Ruger in a McMillan (MKII Hunter) but I can say I don't have any issues. That may be because Eddie Fosnaugh pillar bedded (even the front action screw) and installed the stock -- not me. He also cerakoted the rifle for me.

Here's a pic before I mounted the scope.

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If there is anything worse than 2 piece bottom metal I don't know what it is.

Well, the front angled screw ain't great either. I like Rugers but they are a PIA.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes and you'd think a 1 piece would be easy enough to manufacture. Wonder why PT&G doesn't do it---if they ever started I'd snatch a bunch of them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If there is anything worse than 2 piece bottom metal I don't know what it is.

Well, the front angled screw ain't great either. I like Rugers but they are a PIA.

Agreed there!!! Sure would be nice to have a slick 1 peice setup that worked.

This is my first Ruger in a while, and while I do really like it for its purpose, there are a couple changes that I'd make if I was in charge! Hah

Im sure once the gunsmith has a peek at this one I can get all these little issues sorted out. Most seem to have been solved already which is positive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't want to bash McMillan, because I love them but my Ruger M77 was the first one I had done. I sent the barreled action in for inletting and the channel was still rather large, the floorplate inletting was terrible, and the bolt handle did not fit properly needing enough dremel work that it went through the fiberglass and needed to be resealed. Since it was my first custom I didn't necessarily think anything about it, but without a doubt it would go straight back to the shop these days. Now it irks me and to be honest, I'm interested if they'd do anything about it or tell me I should have spoken up then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck on your grizz hunt, we are all pulling for you. My 375 Ruger will need a new stock someday too, it is showing signs of wanting to crack at the tang. Very accurate gun though. I wonder who else would make a good LH stock for the Ruger.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You did bed it, yes?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (7mm_Loco, 2500HD, BALLISTIK, Anaconda, batch, 6 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,120
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.