Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Does anyone know what type of finish is on Ruger walnut rifle stocks? Are they stained, or, is it an oil? I have some scratches that expose the white wood underneath and want to rub something into them so they will match the surrounding wood.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They're stained, alright. Most factory stocks are. The walnut they use has lots of sap wood.

I use orange shellac. It's tinted, so it tends to blend reasonably well.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've never worked with shellac. Is amber the same as orange? I always had the impression that it was gummy to work with. Can I rub it in? I have a small area of scratches from a fall on concrete. So, I don't want to do the whole stock.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Amber is more yellow-ish. Probably not dark enough.

I mix it to the consistency of pancake syrup, then paint the stuff on with a small modelers brush. Since it's thinned with denatured alcohol, it dries fairly quickly. After it dries, go over it (lightly) with some wet-or-dry, then buff with a cloth.
It might take a couple of applications.

You can use it to build up shallow gouges, too. Brownells sells shellac sticks in various shades for deeper gouges.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the advice! Fortunately, I don't have gouges. The scratches are just deep enough to take off the finish.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
on rugers I have used boiled linseed oil,put thin coats on them.the stock let sit for 24hrs.do that every day for about a week.r you could you use True Oil as well..

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I wondered about linseed. Did you use it for a full refinishing? Or, just repairs?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Ruget 77 several years ago that had a poorly repaired chip behind the bolt when I bought it. I sanded down the offending chip and stained it with a Red Oak Minwax finish. Then a few coats of spar varnish over the top were carefully applied and feathered in to the surrounding finish. It was nearly impossible to see. Ward

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by msquared
I wondered about linseed. Did you use it for a full refinishing? Or, just repairs?

Rubbing a little Linseed oil on a stock that already has an oil finish is fine. I wouldn't use it to completely refin a stock, though, because the stuff never really dries completely.

Tru-Oil works about as well as anything else I've tried. If you don't want to mess around with the shellac, that would be my next choice.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 270Mag

Rubbing a little Linseed oil on a stock that already has an oil finish is fine. I wouldn't use it to completely refin a stock, though, because the stuff never really dries completely.

Tru-Oil works about as well as anything else I've tried. If you don't want to mess around with the shellac, that would be my next choice.

I've never noticed linseed oil not to dry completely. I've even clearcoated stocks that I had linseeded (but got bored with) before and never had a problem.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't used any in a long time; but, I seem to recall tung oil not drying as well as linseed.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Had a rough #1 stock that was dinged a bit. Some 4xxx steel wool to take out the dents and then Deft Semi-gloss. Matched the original finish pretty well. Easy touch up and dries in less than a minute. Just two cents worth.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by 270Mag

I've never noticed linseed oil not to dry completely. I've even clearcoated stocks that I had linseeded (but got bored with) before and never had a problem.

I can see that. Some linseed oil has dryers added.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For minor scratches and water stains I use MARKRON GUN STOCK SCRATCH ERASER.

LINK

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
For minor scratches and water stains I use MARKRON GUN STOCK SCRATCH ERASER.

LINK

any auto clear coat restorer that works chemicaly will do the same thing. most advertise that it does not use any abrasives. Mothers is one and there are about a dozen others.just read the labels, you may already have some in your garage.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The only thing is that the scratches have exposed white wood. So, I would think I would need to use something to restore the color to the wood before using a product to repair the finish.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Boiled linseed oil may not 'chemically' dry for a long time, but as far as you and I and your rifle stock are concerned, it dries to a rock hard resin that bonds with the wood fibres and actually makes it stronger.
The difference when you use BLO as a finish is that you are actually touching the surface of the wood when it is done, rather than a varnish or a shellac or polyurethene, where you are touching the coated finish on the outside.
Tung oil takes forever to dry.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.