Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Hunter Safety Education committee at the gun club is currently in the process of restocking 22 ammo for the upcoming HSE classes. I purchased some Remington Golden Bullet 36 grain hollow points a couple of weeks ago and this week purchased the same, however the boxes are marked NEW AND IMPROVED!

Marketing tactic or has Remington improved the GB?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by roundoak; 05/03/13.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New smaller box with the improved large box pricing?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Roundoak: In recent years and in the past our Hunter Education group has used the Remington 525 packs you have depicted in our 8 Marlin bolt action clip fed Rifles.
We always expect and deal with about 1 fail to fire per 100 rounds chambered.
I used to use this ammo years ago personally and it was more reliable for Varminting and small game than it is of recent.
It was accurate enough but not special in that regard either.
It used to be cheap and easy to find - not anymore!
I (we!) have not used the new and improved Remington ammo as yet - in fact we would use (and deal with) anything we could get in the way of 22 L.R. ammo!
Good luck in restocking and I hope the new and improved Remington ammo is just that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
VG, our experience with the Remington bulk pack ammo failures is about the same as yours. Until now it was always available and cheap.

Our HSE guns are a mixed bag of Remington 512s and 514s and one Remington 121.
Wayne

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There was a discussion on Rimfire Central a short while back that referred to Remington updating their rimfire priming equipment. If so, their New ammunition should be Improved.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 05/03/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The "new and improved" are considerably more consistant from an ignition point of view than the old bulk packs. I like them. Remington golden bullets always shot pretty well for high speed ammo over the years. They are a little dirty, but that doesn't particularly bother me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I swore off the Golden Bullets years ago. I was getting about 1 in 20 misfires. A couple months back, after the panic, I ran across a couple of 225 round boxes at Wally World for $9.99 a piece. They said "new and improved", so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Took them out and fired a couple hundred rounds (would have expected 5-10 misfires with the old stuff)in a few Ruger MK II's with nary a problem. So, based on this limited experience, I'd say they ARE new and improved.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
fburgtx and slingshot, your reports are good info, because the club is getting more "improved".

Wayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never my favorite ammo. So any improvement would be a step in the right direction.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I swore off the Golden Bullets years ago. I was getting about 1 in 20 misfires. A couple months back, after the panic, I ran across a couple of 225 round boxes at Wally World for $9.99 a piece. They said "new and improved", so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Took them out and fired a couple hundred rounds (would have expected 5-10 misfires with the old stuff)in a few Ruger MK II's with nary a problem. So, based on this limited experience, I'd say they ARE new and improved.

Mirrors my experience with the old stuff... that and the "pattern" shooting someone else mentioned (most likely due to inconsistent ignition/velocities I'd wager a guess). Still working off the last box of that crap.

I'll have to try a box of the new stuff if I see any.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have not shot Remington golden bullets for years. It was at the bottom of my list. Poor shooting and gummy in hot weather. I have not tried the new and improved, but anything would be an improvement. Good shooting

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I have not shot Remington golden bullets for years. It was at the bottom of my list. Poor shooting and gummy in hot weather. I have not tried the new and improved, but anything would be an improvement. Good shooting

They were "gummy" in cold weather too whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice to see that Remington has seen the light and improved it, might give it a try next time I ever see any .22 RF for sale at normal prices.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I used Golden Bullet ammo some years back with misfire rates around the 1 in 20 already mentioned. Also, accuracy was lousy...even WW wildcats shot better. Haven't touched RP 22 ammo since.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"New & Improved" the two biggest scam words any company ever used for marketing purposes.

Probably the same ole cheap sorry ass .22 ammo Remington has been putting out for years! Just in a new smaller & more expensive package!

The ONLY ammo I ever buy from Remington is their Cor-Lock .308 stuff.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i work the shooting range at summer camp each year for the week i'm down there with our troop (S-F) and the last 4 years they have been shooting Rem ammo. i'm a bit curious to see what they have this year when i get down there. anyway for the week i'm at the range everyday i would say we too would have at least 1 FTF for every 100 rnds shot. and not by the same rifle either (8 rifles at a time shooting. i truely hope remington has improved their ammo Lord knows they needed to. anyway when i get down there in June i'll see what they are shooting and if it happens to be the new stuff i'll be sure to try to document the performance for the week. should be several thousand rounds in those 5 days, should be enough to get a general idea of the overall quality. heck i just hope they have enough on hand for the scouts to shoot this year.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm totally surprised. I have eleven boxes and one bucket of Remington .22 LR ammo on the .22 shelf in the garage. I have been shooting this ammunition in my Ruger .22/45s and my Ruger "tactical" 10.22 without any problem for several years. I admit that I clean my weapons regularly and that most of my friends think that I am being obsessive - compulsive, but facts is facts. In my CLEAN weapons I have never - ever - had a jam, failure to fire, or any other problemn with this ammo that wasn't directly linked to worn out magazine lips. I have had two .22/45 magazines that jammed with Remington ammo - and with all of the other ammo I have on hand. Those magazines were sent to noble retirement in a land-fill.

I a,m not a Remingto=n apologist, but that has been my experience. I hope that all of youze wih "haunted" Remington ammo didn't jinx me.

Terry

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Terry, I hope we don't jinx you - but I have tried misfired GB cartridges in my various .22s until I had firing pin marks all around the rim, with no bang. The depth of the pin marks told me the hammer strikes were fine, but there was just no primer in the rim. If I can't get a cartridge to go bang in a 22/45, a 39a, a Contender, OR a Savage target rifle I've used with pleasure for 50 years, I blame the cartridge. I also blame the cartridge when I get split cases in a weapon that has never split a case before.

Most GBs go "bang", but several per hundred go "click", a few go "pop" and kick dirt halfway downrange, and a few others go "boom" and launch the bullet off toward Giles County. When GBs were cheap, they were adequate for tin can rolling.

I am not a Remington hater, but that has been my experience.

Carl

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had so many mis-fires with Remington 22 ammo over the years that I am almost surprised when one goes off! I've tried many different Remington ammo through guns ranging from cheapo single shots up to Kimber Super America's and everything in between and their was a problem with everyone of them.

When I got into suppresors the only sub sonics I could find was Remington sub-sonics and there were so many mis-firesI shot less than a box of the brick I bought and haven't touched it since. Maybe I should scalp it? LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the poor performance of remingtons rimfire ammo has been thorn in their side for some time now. i would have to think they (remington) have taken it in the shorts in sales even by todays standards and have finally addressed the poor quality control. i hope so, it's hard enough to find any ammo these days, it's a double edge sword though if the stuff you end up buying doesn't go off half the time. i can't recall the last time i ever had a FTF with my mini mags, even blazers fire for me everytime but about 1 out of each box of 50 will have a noticable report of lesser power. i'll be happy to buy Remingtons again if they have fixed their problem but until they have i wont.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.