Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It will be late fall until I get my first bear back, but I want to know how you guys are displaying your bear rugs. Pics! Thanks!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No rugs here, just tanned. The one my son killed last fall is draped over a rocking chair. We have others hanging by the nose on the wall.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They take up a fair bit of wall space. You also get the skull to put on a bookshelf or whatever.

[Linked Image]

Guy

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought it looked great on the floor, but that just wasn't going to work, so it ended up on the wall in my gun-tinkering, handloading, fly-tying room. That's a mighty fine place for it as I spend a lot of time there and enjoy seeing the bear.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!. I am thinking about putting the head facing down at an angle. How did you attach it to the wall?

Nice bear. What did it weigh?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Attached via about a gazillion (give or take) tiny upholstery tacks into the sheetrock, all around the edges. I put them through the felt backer, and for the most part they're covered up by the hair. It took more around the head, since it's heavy and wanted to fall free from the wall.

Thanks! Bear is a few inches over 6' in length, skull was 18+ inches. I don't remember how big. Good for the area, here in Washington. Weight? Dunno, two of us grunted a bit when we lifted and pulled him out of the brush! I'd guess something over 300/325 pounds. Not sure.

My son got one that looked almost identical, only a few inches smaller, about 16 hours before I got mine. Same ridge, within a couple of hundred yards of where we found this one. He shot his in the afternoon, I got mine the next morning. Then a friend got another within minutes of me shooting mine! All spot and stalk hunting. It was pretty amazing. Bears were all over the doggone hillside, going after the berries.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Black, Brown and Griz...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Heres one...basic side to side..

[Linked Image]

Another..

[Linked Image]

and a mini-stack....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like the stack ingwe

Tater
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys that have em on the wall- nail them or do it some other way? Thanks for the great pics. Those are nice!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine at attached to the wall, with head down at an angle. I also did mouth closed....don't like the mouth open at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
You guys that have em on the wall- nail them or do it some other way? Thanks for the great pics. Those are nice!

I nailed mine up with sharp roofing nails, not tacks, and drove them into the sheetrock through the hide and under the hair so they don't show...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sew a small ring to the underside of the felt at the head and all four feet. Just put a sheetrock screw in the wall and hang it however you want to.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tell the taxidermist you want to hang it. They will attach rings to the backing felt. I have my bear rugs done without felt. I like them that way. If you did that, they would have to attach the rings to the hide.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Great info.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wisht I could post pictures but you ought to think about doing it the way I did. I wore mine. I had the taxidermist fellow kind of scoop out the head so I could wear it as a hat. Look out between the teeth, don't you know. Now it wasn't quite big enoungh to close in front so I got three big brass chains and hooks to go across there. I left the paws and claws on and wear them on top of my hands. Makes it real handy and you can really load a plate when you go through a buffet line wearing that bear coat. Then too, if you wear it a lot more people can see and admire it than if you hide it in your house. They just look and look at you coming down the street or sitting in church or somewhere.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bahahahahah. I use my mother-in-law at the buffet line.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrnBear
Tell the taxidermist you want to hang it. They will attach rings to the backing felt. I have my bear rugs done without felt. I like them that way. If you did that, they would have to attach the rings to the hide.

This. I had mine do the same thing. This enabled me to hang it on the wall by simply using nails and the attached rings. The felt protects the wall and makes it easier to slide and maneuver around the wall.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I always have the taxidermist use double felt, two different colors that compliment each other and the skin. Then, I just use heavy duty staples hidden under the first layer of felt. I usually hang mine at about a 45 degree angle w/the head up.

One other characteristic I like is to have the ears mounted back vs. up. This is not a real great picture as I have this bear in my small office (think closet)!

[Linked Image]

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The funny thing about all these bear rugs, mine included, is that they look like "Rocky the Flying Bear" !

A set of goggles would complete the look... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.