Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Junior David Walter,

Your feeling the need for entitlement is unwarranted, you have not "earned" any special merit the hard way or not. The post stands. Fly it right side up or leave. Now where would you like me to get you a ticket too?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Junior Bartman,

Entitlement is different than earning. I earned mine, and earn mine every day, still.

So, please don't lecture me about your accomplishments in the military. BTDT and have the campaign medals.

What part of freedom of expression are you unfamiliar with?

I may not agree with flying the flag upside down for political commentary, but it is certainly protected speech.

You can stay.

But you're still wrong.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Junior David Walter

How have you earned the right to freedom of expression? Do you not enjoy this freedom in a place that in your words is under duress? Does the flag represent the current place in which we all enjoy these freedoms.

You can stay Junior but you have been checkmated

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ribbons on trees, signs in yards, flags flying upside down, all mean not but I guess they give people the feeling of doing something.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bartman
Junior David Walter

How have you earned the right to freedom of expression? Do you not enjoy this freedom in a place that in your words is under duress? Does the flag represent the current place in which we all enjoy these freedoms.

You can stay Junior but you have been checkmated

Checkmated? I don't think so.

The right to freedom of expression was won by others, and I enjoy the fruits of their labors and sacrifice. Just as my children, and your children enjoy the fruits of my sacrifice and those of Montana Marine, Jorge, Mannlicher, and a cast of others on this board.

The open question, is what have you done of merit? Anything?

John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's my impression that the act of flying the Flag upside down is a Sign of Surrender. I can not remember where I got that tidbit of information.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Junior David Walter

You just lost another piece Junior. If you and I and our children enjoy the freedoms secured by others labor and sacrifice why would you want to disrespect this and their sacrifice with flying a flag upside down?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Junior David Walter

You just lost another piece Junior. If you and I and our children enjoy the freedoms secured by others labor and sacrifice why would you want to disrespect this and their sacrifice with flying a flag upside down?

OK, pay attention to detail here.

I did not say I want to fly the flag upside down.

I do agree that is it protected speech, and asking someone to leave the country because they disagree with you is a far, far greater disrespect of those who shed their blood for the Republic than flying the flag upside down as a sign of duress.

While I unconditionally agree you should reap the benefits of the labors of others regarding free speech, I do not think you should or can dictate how others speak freely.

I'm still unclear on your personal contributions to the greater good of the Republic. While that changes nothing in the argument about free speech, it will at least let me know you believe in your own diatribe enough to back it up, or have backed it up, with your own toil.

Military, red cross, school crossing guard, upstanding church member, police, teacher, firefighter?

Anything that could be construed as self sacrifice?

Absent that, I believe you lack the courage of your "convictions", and discount everything you say in that light.

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Junior David Walter

You're losing and you need to stop. It's not a chess game or any kind of game.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Junior David Walter

You're losing and you need to stop. It's not a chess game or any kind of game.

+1

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is this about the time I say "If you don't hold a DD214, you aint shjit?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DD214 or not, anyone flying the flag upside down for political reasons is a DA. Conservatives should know better.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by W7ACT
It's my impression that the act of flying the Flag upside down is a Sign of Surrender. I can not remember where I got that tidbit of information.

Distress signal.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
American Flag Etiquette.

Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

* The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
* The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
* The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The idea of flying the flag upside down became popularized by the movie "In the Valley of Elah" starring Tommy Lee Jones. It not's meant nor was it portrayed as symbol of disrespect to America but as signal of distress.

Our country is in distress from a regime that disrespects those that have served and sacrificed their lives for our country. It's about the changes that are occurring to the very freedoms that patriots have died for.

Others may have different ideas but this is how I interpret it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see, we want Follywood to teach us how to respect America and the flag.

All American

All the time
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
There are many nations today that retain the practice of human chattel. Should we declare war on all these nations?

No.

But I think it should not be tolerated in our country.

It was already on the verge of disappearing in the US, and had been common practice throughout the world for the vast majority of human history. The war wasn't worth the terrible consequences. Growing organized social opposition would have soon been rid of it anyway.

Slavery would have become extinct with the industrial age as it would have been cost prohibitive

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
I see, we want Follywood to teach us how to respect America and the flag.

Is our country in distress?

If you go back in the thread I mentioned a few circumstances, not all, where it would be absolutely inappropriate and abhorrent to fly the flag upside down. In the right situation and under the right context I don't consider it disrespectful or offensive. Believe me when I say, I do have respect for those have served, for our country, and for the American flag.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 74 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.