Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My black lab (a little over 1yr old at the time) got curious about a mini excavator I had on a trailer in my back yard over night. I woke up the next morning to find the seat completely chewed up, the travel control sticks chewed on, and the joysticks chewd up. It was an expensive day.

You'll shoot your eye out
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading about some of the canine trash compactors some of you guys have, I realize just how good of dog my Remmie is.

There are some tales of amazing consumption posted here, but the "What my dog ate" story that sticks with me the most wasn't posted here and didn't even happen with my dog. It happened with 2 of my ex-girlfriend's dogs before I even met her.

She was a fan of bull terriers, you know, the Spuds Mckenzie type dog with a face only a blind mother could love. At the time of the event, she had 2 of them. The story starts with the 2 dogs finding a good sized snake outside one day and having a rousing game of tug-of-war with it. The snake lost and one or both of the dogs chewed and ate the snake as a victory celebration.

Well, there was another sort of celebration that my ex had scheduled for that day. She was throwing a nice dinner party for some good friends that evening. As she reports, the party was going along nicely. Guests were enjoying food and drink. Conversation was pleasant and 2 dogs, slow and pleasantly tired from the day's outdoor activities, were quietly lounging out of sight under the dinner table.

Have you ever seen the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? Remember the big dinner scene where cousin Eddie's rottweiler, Snots, started yakking under the dinner table? Well, the same thing happened at my ex's dinner party. Except that in this case when the throwing up started, everybody present bent to look under the table to see what was going on. What was going on was one of the dogs had transformed into an ugly canine version of one of those fancy cherubic water fountains and instead of a cherub spewing sparkling H2O, they saw a distressed bull terrier spewing pieces of half chewed and only partially digested snake. sick

Even Wayne and Garth couldn't have partied through that.

Party off, Wayne. Party off, Garth.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We had a Beagle name Betsy when I was a kid and we kept her milk bones in a coffee can. We had a lake lot on an area lake and used to spend evenings out there in the summer picnicking. One evening I caught a big crawdad, probably 7-8 inches long, well being a kid I wanted to keep it as pet. The only container I could find to put the crawdad in was a coffee can similar to Betsy�s milk bone can. Poor Betsy wondered over to the can and stuck her snout in to snatch a milk bone, next we heard was her yelp, saw her leap back with the crawdad latched onto her nose and her back peddling out of there. Don�t remember if the crawdad got away or we let it go, but I know I could never get Betsy to take a milk bone out of the can on her own, you had to give it to her, she wouldn�t even look in the can.

Current dawg is a black lab named Katy, she is 2 years old and she is an angel, never eats anything she is not supposed to, well if you don�t count the 6 remotes, the walls in the laundry room, every tennis ball she can find, meat right off the grill at the deer lease, hamburger patties right out of the frying pan, raw bacon off the counter, all my shoes, boots, socks, towels, the hole she ate in the mattress, a catfish head she found on the lake shore, several other dead fish parts, dead birds, dead stuff in general, but otherwise no problems, she is an angel!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is somewhat related. My grandparents used to have a poodle. Most nights of the week they used to play Gin Rummy on the kitchen table. Some nights they went out for dinner. The pack of cards and the scorepad were always left in the middle of the table.

They started noticing cards missing from the deck. No big problem. Just get a new deck. The cards going missing always seemed to happen after they went out for dinner.

Then one day, the cleaning lady showed my Grandma a cache of playing cards in the green velvet chair in the parlor. The cards were in perfect shape. Somehow the poodle was lifting the cards off the top of the deck without disturbing the deck or putting a tooth mark on the card, and then getting in the velvet chair, placing the card under the seat cushion and neither disturbing the cushion nor the satin pillow on top.

My grandfolks decided not to let the dog in on the fact. They only took the cards from the secret stash they needed and waited. I was spending the night when my Grandfather caught the dog in the kitchen picking a card off the top of the deck with her tongue. He complemented the dog on her trickery and told her the game was over. The dog never stole card again, but instead switched to stealing finger towels out of the guest bathroom and hiding them in the green chair.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
As a kid I can remember my dad going to the news stand every Sunday morning to get the paper with our dog in tow and every Sunday he got said dog a Hershey bar.

Hunted quail last season with a guide and two dogs. The older bitch had some sort of genetic blood sugar problem and she used to fall down in a faint every now now and then. The vet advised the guide to toss her a snack-sized candy bar whenever she showed signs of needing it.

Saw her scarf two or three Baby Ruths while we were in the field.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025
As a kid I can remember my dad going to the news stand every Sunday morning to get the paper with our dog in tow and every Sunday he got said dog a Hershey bar.

Hunted quail last season with a guide and two dogs. The older bitch had some sort of genetic blood sugar problem and she used to fall down in a faint every now now and then. The vet advised the guide to toss her a snack-sized candy bar whenever she showed signs of needing it.

Saw her scarf two or three Baby Ruths while we were in the field.

you realize most milk chocolate in the candy bars on shelves has almost no chocolate solids in it....its mostly chocolate flavored sugar.....milk chocolate is mostly cocoa butter with very lil cocoa solids.....real baking chocolate and real dark chocolate has lots of cocoa solids which is where the theobromine is.....that is what kills dogs.....and if you eat enough of it it will kill you too....

Last edited by rattler; 05/22/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sheridan:

Wasn't challenging you by any means, and I understand what you're saying. I only mention the Baby Ruths as part of the great collective story about stuff we see dogs eating.

BTW, and again I don't doubt you, but do you have personal knowledge of a dog eating dark or baking chocolate and dying as a result?

I'm thinking it must be unusual.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year after several hours of waiting I took a beautiful smoked corned beef brisket to the cutting board in the kitchen and turned to get some rye bread. I spread the bread with some good mustard and started to cut the meat, it wasn't there. I found my shepherd mix on the front room carpet chowing down. I gave serious thought about smoking him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sheridan:

Wasn't challenging you by any means, and I understand what you're saying. I only mention the Baby Ruths as part of the great collective story about stuff we see dogs eating.

BTW, and again I don't doubt you, but do you have personal knowledge of a dog eating dark or baking chocolate and dying as a result?

I'm thinking it must be unusual.

- Tom

there have been a number of scientific studies, not just anecdotal evidence....hell the LD50 rating is known not only for dogs but for cats and humans.....LD50 rating is how much is required to kill 50% of individuals/animals and is how they rate poisons and snake venoms and such.....actually cats are even more sensitive to it than dogs but because cats cant taste sweet they arent attracted to it and dont eat candy for the most part.....

how many homes actually have high quality baking chocolate laying around for a dog to get ahold of? damn few......how many house have chocolate candy laying around that has high amounts of cocoa butter but nearly no cocoa solids? most prolly.....this is why th e new myth that chocolate is harmless to dogs has come out.....50 or 100 years ago when families did 90% of their own cooking and bought alot less pre made stuff im guessing dogs died a hell of alot more cause it was more common for high quality baking chocolate to be in the average family pantry....

hell its known medically that the real high quality dark chocolate can cause problems in the elderly who arent in the best health if they eat alot of it.....

Animal Oral toxicity of Theobromine(mg/kg)
LD50
Cat 200
Dog 300
Human ~1,000
Mouse 837
Rat 1,265

Last edited by rattler; 05/22/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a newf/retriever mix.
On my sons birthday she got out of where she was contained and ate an entire butter cream frosted birthday sheetcake.

It happened to be a homemade theme cake and the dawg was chittin cowboys and indians and horses etc all over the yard.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Eating 20 pounds of lead likely ain't good either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

yeah but it takes far less than 20 pounds of real chocolate to kill a dog....most people just have no clue that milk chocolate candy bars are actually a hell of a long way from real chocolate....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I was about 11, my dog ate my entire bag of Halloween candy, with wrappers. I'd say at least 10 pounds. Other than highly annoying me, the dog was fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hah! one advantage to cats is they don't eat chit like this. smile

ummm....

well, not counting half a hamster

only a few bites out of a thawing steak...

never mind, carry on smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rattler

yeah but it takes far less than 20 pounds of real chocolate to kill a dog....most people just have no clue that milk chocolate candy bars are actually a hell of a long way from real chocolate....

Most folks likely don't give a [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rattler, could a person get cats to eat chocolate if they put sardine oil on it? grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rattler

Most folks likely don't give a [bleep].

Some folks care more for their dogs than most humans as most humans tend to lean closer to being POS than most dogs.... count me as caring RE the info.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had taken a whole chicken off the rotisserie and it was cooling on the kitchen countertop. Wife and I were in the living room and along came our Gr. Dane through the living room and quick-stepping it to the stairs. Headed upstairs with her prize hoping we wouldn't notice.

First, her gait was what caught our attention and she wouldn't look at us. We could see just the legs hanging out of either side of her mouth.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.