Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Guided hunt? Who cares what you bring... If the guide is worth anything, he'll put you a on legal ram, despite how unprepared you are.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bearstalker
What's the census on plastic boots? And what style on crampons you guys prefer?

I don't like them. Its not that they are hard on the knees when you have a heavy load coming down the mountain or that they make your feet sweat when its hot. I believe that if you take a pair of boots that you are going to use and then get them wet with your sock choice and then "walk them dry" that they work to form fit to your feet. Plastics like the Scarpa seem to fail to fit as well.

I used to run instep crampons but I have since moved to BD Cyborgs. They are a bit spendy but they just chew up ice and talus.

I also like OR Croc gaiters better than Kennetreks.

I switch between Hanwag Trapper GTX and Kennetrek Mountain Extreme 400s. Both fit my feet right. However, you can learn how to tie boots for various loads and that is an important thing as well.

SD or Broomd may not know who Fred Rungee was but Fred always lived alone in very bad grizzly country. Fred was Dunc Gilchrist's best bud for a long time when they both worked for the Forest Service. Fred was attacked three different times and chewed on twice. He is still alive at 96 years old and while he has a cabin at Duffy's Roadhouse he still gets back up to his cabin and homestead on Lake Lorraine 3 miles off of the road where he has lived for 50 years. Fred got me on to moth balls. I would take just a couple in a ziplock bag and place them under the corners. I have not had my camp raided or my foodstuffs plundered for many years.
I also talked about mothballs with Ed Stevenson who still guides up Sheep River in the Talkeetnas and is probably the only guide alive who has been mauled by brownies twice. He agrees with me on the mothballs. I still go up into some of the rugged country and will go again this year. I teach school and those in Alaska know that it sucks for hunting. School starts on August 10th. Some genius came up with that.

I will still fly into that glacial space until Gary Green retires and then I will have to take a boat up there. I am only a couple of years away from retirement and then I can do 30 day hunts up Anderson and Walsh.
This may not mean anything to you and that is fine.

I have no ego but just try to help.

sincerely,
Thomas

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thomas,

I sent you a pm.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That is VERY interesting, I knew Grizzly researchers 30-40+ years ago, who would pour anhydrous ammonia around their mountain tented campsites and told us that this repelled Grizzlies.

I don't know, never tried it and in the many years where I would spend months alone with only a supply trip once every six weeks living in some of the most densely populated Grizzly country on Earth, I just kept a meticulously clean camp, burned ALL organic wastes AND cans, bottles, etc and watched what/where and how I did things. I had several close encounters, but, no real problems and I enjoy seeing these bears up close...as long as they are "friendly".

However, the thing that I have found extensive bush time teaches is NOT how "much" you know...it is how LITTLE and also how humility REALLY is your best "tool" for bush life.

I am going to get some mothballs and test this in the Kootenays with bears and a "bait" as this is perhaps the best "tip" that I have ever been given, other than to stay away from "slides".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Guided hunt? Who cares what you bring... If the guide is worth anything, he'll put you a on legal ram, despite how unprepared you are.

I agree for the most part, but feet will stop the hunt. Can't shoot will prevent the kill. Bad attitude will make both of you wish you were never born

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To kscowboy,

If the only outerwear you have is gore-tex, you will be soaked most of the time, from the inside due to sweating. Until you actually do some climbing in the sheep mtns., you have no idea how much work it will be. And if (when) it rains, you will get even wetter from the rain. The gore-tex will work good for breaking the wind while ridge top glassing. Don't expect it to keep you dry if get into a good ol' Alaskan rainy spell.

Take some quick drying, breathable outer wear and be sure to pack some GOOD rain gear. If you happen to have a wet hunt, the gore-tex won't keep you dry. Surprised that none of the AK locals have mentioned this fact yet. Some like the HH Impertech. It works great but some will complain about the weight of it. Marmot Precip rain gear seems to work well as does Red Ledge rain gear.

Cut weight on your gear any place you can. Every ounce will add up quickly and you'll be leaving more and more things at camp each day you hunt. I see no need for a huge, heavy rifle scope. I have used a 2.5 x 8 Leupold on all of my sheep hunts and it has worked fine. One poster mentioned taking a regular space blanket. Do it!! It will help keep you warm and dry if you need to spend a night or two away from camp. Pack your items that must stay dry in zip lock bags. I always try to leave a dry pair of long underwear at camp to change into before crawling in my sleeping bag. In the morning the damp ones go back on, so that I will again have some dry clothes to sleep in. Other than the extra set of longhandles and a couple extra pair of socks, the only clothes I take are the ones I am wearing plus a warm jacket and rain gear. Sometimes one water bottle is enough, other times two may be needed. Ask your guide.

Will you need hip boots for stream crossings before you start climbing??

Think about running steps to get in shape for climbing. If you don't have any nearby, your basement steps, if you have them, will work fine. Run them until you can make 100 trips up and down in 20 minutes or less. Running or walking on flat ground does nothing to strengthen the muscles used while climbing.

Take a small camera and take LOTS of pictures. If the camera uses a rechargable battery, take a fully-charged extra one along.

If you have a leather rifle sling, get a nylon one. The leather will get wet and heavy and take a while to dry...the nylon one will dry quickly. Don't forget some type of scope covers to keep the lenses dry.

A few of duct tape can come in very handy. Wrap some around a tooth brush handle or buy a small roll from an outdoor shop.

You will be eating different food. Take along a few meds to get your "plumbing" uncloged if that becomes a problem and also take along something to slow down the 'flow' if that becomes a problem. Best way to avoid either problem is to stay hydrated.

Have a GREAT hunt and ENJOY Alaska!!!

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Typically, a sheep is a large white aiming point. If you think you need more than 4x for any range at which you should be shooting, then you'd be wrong. Google up the subtension of a 4x duplex leupold reticle and get back to me.

On the other hand, using the fat part of the duplex for range estimation can be worthwhile as well. IIRC, the 6x leupolds subtend 9" at 100 yards, and your sheep/muley chest is ~18" deep. Good enough to firm up a 300-yard range estimate when your RF gets dropped or is otherwise TU. If I can't fit half a sheep chest between the fat points on the vertical hair (~400 yards), then I know I need to get closer. I've not used a LRF on a mountain hunt, though I have one. If I do ever go LRF, I'll put turrets on a 4x leupold to mess with heads...

You need three layers of pants: medium weight thermal underwear, some sort of DWR treated quick-dry 4-way stretch walking pant, and lightweight rain gear. I use merino wool, then either REI mistral or some sort of mountain hardwear earth-tone walking pant, and patagonia rainshadown rain pants. Some see fit to spend huge $$ on various pricy gucci camo mountain hunting pants that typically have too-few and too-bulky belt loops, which are well suited to bunching up and giving you a nice heat rash under your heavy pack's waistbelt on a long hot packout.

On top, I take a lightweight thermal t-shirt, a heavyweight thermal top, a puffy insulating layer, and lightweight rain gear (Mountain Hardwear Cohesion jacket).

Gaiters - save half the weight over crocs and get OR verglas instead. Don't leave home without them.

Hiking poles: If you find yourself on something really steep and slippery, you'll regret not having something to arrest with. I take a 100cm ice axe from SMC in Ferndale, WA and use it as a cane on the flats and an arresting tool on the slick steeps. for the other hand I take a Black Diamond boundary 2-section ski pole for a walking stick.

You'd better inquire as to what kind of spotter your guide has, and react accordingly...A pentax 65mm angled with an XW-10 or XW-14 eyepiece will give as good a view as about anything, for not too much $$. You won't be able to use much more than the 39x given by the XW-10 eyepiece when the mirages start.

Take a pair of UL running shoes from vibram or new balance or whomever, and do your stream crossings with those. They weigh nothing - about the same as crocs, and are WAY more useful around camp and such. Or, for small shin or knee-high streams, tighten up those gaiters, tie a string *tight* around your ankle and top of calf to seal things off, and give 'er hell.

For training, if you've trained to the point that you can spend most of a day hiking on steep terrain without blistering feet or hurting yourself, then your cardio will have taken care of itself.

Crampons: stubai aluminum 10-point strapons are the standard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's no way I would go on any hunt without my rangefinder and it wouldn't matter if the guide had one or not. I've had issues with the Leica's in the past on Dall sheep so I use a different brand now just because of it.

Lightweight rain gear as mentioned above is a must, I haven't tried it yet but I've heard great things about the Westcomb which utilizes eVent, it's light and breathable gear.

I also am not a fan of the anti-shok trekking poles and my Leki Makalu's have worked well for me.

Do yourself a favor and bring a good camera and take lots of pictures, 20 years from now you'll be glad you did.

I also like to bring a bandana with me for those hot days, soak it in a creek and wear it under you hat.

The suggestion of camp shoes is a great idea and I never go on a hunt without them.

I've become a big fan of merino wool, specifically boxers and socks, they will keep you warm and dry on those cool mornings.

A good pair of binos is a MUST, I've been using a pair of Swarovskis in 10x42 for years and love them but they are a bit heavy. Just make sure you bring the best you can afford.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Westcomb is THE best I have used in 40+ years of wearing this kind of clothing year 'round. Event IS great, better than any GT I have ever had, BUT, this new "Neoshell" they use in my "APOC" shell is freakin' insane and is actually fairly quiet, too.

Lotsa bux, worth EVERY penny!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
In the brooks in August, I'd go pretty heavy on bug protection, and lighter on clothes. For sure you want some insulation, but you don't need redundant layers. I'd go with a goretex type rain gear (lighter) as well.

I probably go way too heavy in sleeping bag, but we generally hunt the late season. I like an ice axe in some situations, but I wouldn't carry one for that location and time of year. Trekking poles will be very handy. Anti-shock is an absolute gimmick in my opinion, but I watched a buddy destroy a pair of "anti-shock" poles in a single hunt, and haven't looked at it since.

Be prepared to cover a lot of ground. If you are not going up/down or sidehilling, you will be in soggy lumpy tundra or rocky river/creek bottoms. There is some nice walking, but it will never last more than 100 yards.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thank you all again for the tips. I do have a Leica rangefinder that has been used over the years on whitetails here in KS and trips to CO and NM. I will definitely plan to take it along.

I called Leupold today and will do the CDS turrets on the .308. A family friend who I spent the day with yesterday has a range to shoot 400 yards+. His wife is a 1,000 record holder in her bench class and he is a reloading guru. He is pumped about helping me, as he gets to "go along" on the hunt in a way. He will help me train when it comes to shooting and developing a good sheep load. Talk about a good friend to have!

We are going to load some 150 grain Barnes TSX and see how they shoot. We also have some other bullets that we may try but will start here.

As a young guy who just turned 30, it's amazing the knowledge-sharing that guys are willing to give you if you respect their knowledge and are willing to shut-up, listen, and be appreciative. I feel as though my generation lacks this a times.

Thank you again and keep the tips coming.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
i still stick by my statement about listening to your guide but if you want check out Scott Luber and Steve Bethune's video called lace 'em up ,some good info there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
In the brooks in August, I'd go pretty heavy on bug protection, and lighter on clothes. For sure you want some insulation, but you don't need redundant layers. I'd go with a goretex type rain gear (lighter) as well.

I probably go way too heavy in sleeping bag, but we generally hunt the late season. I like an ice axe in some situations, but I wouldn't carry one for that location and time of year. Trekking poles will be very handy. Anti-shock is an absolute gimmick in my opinion, but I watched a buddy destroy a pair of "anti-shock" poles in a single hunt, and haven't looked at it since.

Be prepared to cover a lot of ground. If you are not going up/down or sidehilling, you will be in soggy lumpy tundra or rocky river/creek bottoms. There is some nice walking, but it will never last more than 100 yards.

I realize you skinny bastards can do all sorts of teleporting, mind-bending, kid dragging, fat-old-man abusing, and such without breaking a sweat... but how did you change the OP's hunt from the AK Range to the Brooks?

Just realized it, sorry, got it, man I am dumb, and why didn't I realize you were just trying to keep the AK Range to yourself! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
Thank you all again for the tips. I do have a Leica rangefinder that has been used over the years on whitetails here in KS and trips to CO and NM. I will definitely plan to take it along.

I called Leupold today and will do the CDS turrets on the .308. A family friend who I spent the day with yesterday has a range to shoot 400 yards+. His wife is a 1,000 record holder in her bench class and he is a reloading guru. He is pumped about helping me, as he gets to "go along" on the hunt in a way. He will help me train when it comes to shooting and developing a good sheep load. Talk about a good friend to have!

We are going to load some 150 grain Barnes TSX and see how they shoot. We also have some other bullets that we may try but will start here.

As a young guy who just turned 30, it's amazing the knowledge-sharing that guys are willing to give you if you respect their knowledge and are willing to shut-up, listen, and be appreciative. I feel as though my generation lacks this a times.

I have put quite a few Barnes bullets through sheep and bears... They are always my first choice for everything. In October I managed to catch the first Barnes bullet I have ever shot when a caribou bull spine at 20 feet stopped an 85gr TTSX from a 25-06. It was well below zero, too...

I have never had an issue getting recent X iterations to shoot. Only one really accurate rifle of mine does not like Barnes bullets. It has not been fed TSX or TTSX yet, so I would not consider that a real test for today's bullets.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kutenay
That is VERY interesting, I knew Grizzly researchers 30-40+ years ago, who would pour anhydrous ammonia around their mountain tented campsites and told us that this repelled Grizzlies.

I don't know, never tried it and in the many years where I would spend months alone with only a supply trip once every six weeks living in some of the most densely populated Grizzly country on Earth, I just kept a meticulously clean camp, burned ALL organic wastes AND cans, bottles, etc and watched what/where and how I did things. I had several close encounters, but, no real problems and I enjoy seeing these bears up close...as long as they are "friendly".

However, the thing that I have found extensive bush time teaches is NOT how "much" you know...it is how LITTLE and also how humility REALLY is your best "tool" for bush life.

I am going to get some mothballs and test this in the Kootenays with bears and a "bait" as this is perhaps the best "tip" that I have ever been given, other than to stay away from "slides".

Dewey
Really?

Thought you had gotten over the nonsense of thinking 200 bear sightings in 40 years made your bear population "dense!" While my son's Kodiak hunt this year only lasted an hour and we only saw three bears if you include two the next day... that is still pretty dense when comparing 200 in 40 years.

Of course last spring we only saw about 200 in two weeks, literally.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Assuming you have a decent rifle and binoculars, keep your feet happy, eat enough calories, sleep warm and preferably dry.

The rest is fluff (makes the hunt more comfortable/ arguably better chance of success - but not necessarily "necessary" gear!)

I've only killed 6 sheep, plus been on a couple of no-show-hunts. Lots of good advice above, especially on gear. Of which I've had virtually none. But don't obsess about it. (Buncha puzzies..... :))

My first sheep hunt (40 years ago), for example, was solo, 18 miles back-pack in to the mountain (Kelty B-50 pack- I finally wore it out a few years ago, after replacing the back webbing and straps after that first sheep hunt - they kinda broke on the way out under that 180# est. load...!). For gear, I had a 10X10 plastic sheet, a closed-cell foam pad and 3 season down sleeping bag, 9 X 40? Swift binoculars - since stolen, 8 days minimal rations, a light jacket, rain gear, minimal first aid kit, a compass and map. The rifle was a Rem 700 in .243, wearing a B&L 4X scope, with 10 rounds of 100 gr. factory. 2 knives, game saw, cheeze cloth game bags (don't use them!). 2 days in, 2 days out, 4 days to hunt was the plan.

Killed my full-curl ram at 50 feet on the second day of the season, after having found them the day before, and made an unsuccessful stalk from above, as recommended from my readings. Having observed their pattern for most of the first day, I adjusted my strategy (breaking the rule) day 2 and made the stalk from below.... and they did the same thing.... smile The following two seasons in that valley were equally successful, slightly different spots, and stalk from above situational scenarious, ranges 35 yards and 50 yards. Years later, I got a spotting scope..... Of course, all I was and am interested in is "legal", not "book", trophy, etc. Binocs were good enough for that - up to mile and a half. On one subsequent hunt elsewhere, I took the 3rd best, but still legal ram at 50 yards, using binocs to judge by, 'cuz he needed to die...- i.e. culled from possible reproduction. He, and the first one, are the only ones I've had mounted (it was a superb hunt!). The hunt is the trophy, not the particular head for me. YMMV, and that's perfectly OK. The point is - be happy!

40 years after that first hunt, I'm saying listen to these guys above on the gear!!! It's come a long way since then - and far beyond my pocket book. That 3rd/4th leg is of huge advantage on rough ground, especially so with a load. I'm cheap, and use a 6' birch stick of my own manufacture on all my hunts, mt or flat. smile Obviously you have some bucks to spare, so get yourself a good 1,000 yard rangefinder - they are good on "non-reflective" animals to about half the distance - as far as you should be shooting. The actual (ARC ? ) gravitational feature should prove handy on up-hill/down-hill shots. (I've gotta get something better than the 400 max reflective distance one that I've got, myself)

Take the lighter Leupold Scope. GPS is fine, but map and compass is essential. I've had GPS let me down twice when needed- failed antanae, and a satellite changeover - and of course there are the batteries... SPOT or Sat phone is kinda superfolous if hunting with a guide - unless you need them.. and extra weight to carry. More important if hunting alone.

We humans/pre-humans have been killing animals for 3 million years or so, without all this techno-stuff. Man-up a bit!!! smile

And good luck!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
On seconfd thought, why bother.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dewey
Just trying to put a cap on your imagination... Humorous as can be when you start talking about charging bears, most notably the instruction from you to shoot them under the chin. You seem to think being in an area with bears without seeing them is huge resume fodder.

A poem just for you:
There once was a Cunuck named Kutenay
With charging bear advice that is free
"Shoot under the chin"
Says the little munchkin
I guess he must be two foot three.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ah, just as I was editing, you post yet another of your 23000+ posts, welll, again, why bother.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kscowboy01

The Leicas I owned worked great on everything except dall sheep, for some reason I could not get them to range them no matter how close or far they were from me. I don't know if it was because of their white coloration or what but on my last dall hunt my Bushnell Scout 1000 worked perfectly. Good luck to you.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
249 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.