Print Thread
Hop To
Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
Just wondering what you guys use(homemade or store bought)
<br>to rid your dog of skunk odor if he gets sprayed?
<br>
<br>Qtip
<br>
<br>Soli deo gloria

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I used to trap I'd wash the skunk hide that I was going to tan in gasoline, but old rover won't take kindly to that. I just wash the dogs with soap and water Dawn dish soap seems to be the best and then live with it, but then I got sprayed in the face as a youngster and skunk odor doesn't seem to bother me as much as other people, come to think of it I kind of like the smell. A light dose of it on a cool damp morning as we're pulling the guns out and releaseing the dogs for a morning of pheasant hunting.
<br>
<br>Some of the dog catalogs I get have some stuff called Odor Away that some of the other dog people I know speak highly of.
<br>
<br>erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
QTip
<br>
<br> Try just old fashioned tomato jce to remove the smell.
<br>My parents swore by it in the old days,it works great.
<br>
<br> Straight Shooting
<br>
<br> Budweiser2

Q
Qtip Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q
Budweiser2
<br>
<br>I've used tomato juice too. A GSP I once had got nailed and I used vinegar after the soap and water and then followed that with Real lemon juice, the concentrated stuff in a bottle. That worked a little better.
<br>
<br>Qtip
<br>
<br>Soli deo gloria

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shave em bald Qtip. Or just have everyone wear nose plugs until the smell is gone.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I might take some heat over this one..... but I did spend a few years training brits and pointers. Pups always have to learn about polecats first hand. I have tried it all and THE BEST stuff to use is Masengill douche. Wash the pup in soap and water first then wet him down with douche and let it dry on him. Just be prepared for a bad time when your buddies want to know why you have strawberry flavored douche in your hunting kit. And be D**m sure you explain things to your wife before hand. [Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.