Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jcubed

I'm also thinking about adding some sour cream to a leftover portion and serving with egg noodles.

Thanks for the recipe!

Winner, winner, chick.........

That does sound tasty.

Sean
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is my report on this. I made the first pot just as the recipe called for. I must say that for my taste [b] it left a good bit to be desired. Just not much flavor there for me, awfuly bland. I also used egg noodles for the base. That was mistake to me. Nothing to soak up the gravy which was way too thin for the way [b]I like it.

It also didn't need cooking near as long as called for. Mine was done in four hours on low.

Sooooooo! I made a second pot with additions. Cut the water to the gravy and made it just as the package (Pioneer brown) said. Still had to thicken it just a bit. I might try turkey gravy next time or I might not. Brown is PDG! Added some baby carrots and chopped celery. A can of sliced mushrooms (didn't have fresh) and some fine chopped onion. Next time I will put in some minced garlic too. I am kind of wondering what a small can of drained english peas would do. Surely needs salt and ground pepper.

Used rice so the gravy has something to stick to. If you just got to have pasta I believe lignuine would be a lot better than noodles. Maybe rotini.

With a nice green salad this makes a fine meal and fairly inexpensive. Best I remenber a 2# package of gizzards was less than $3.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been a while ..today's dinner ..just turned the slow cooker on !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Growing up Mom would make a chicken go a long way legs and breasts for dinner, wings, backs and necks made soup and she saved hearts and gizzards to make in gravy and served over rice, noodles or boiled potatoes. The livers got diced up with an equal amount of onion, sautéed with salt, pepper and serve on toast points with our eggs in the morning. Now I don't have to wait until there are enough saved as you can get tubs of hearts, gizzards and liver at the store.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. Gizzards are not my favorite, but I can eat the hell out of them chicken hearts.

I normally fry hearts, but have never cooked them in a crockpot.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I buy hearts at the “international store” near here. Regular groceries package them with gizzards, “mostly gizzards” in fact. I’ve fried them, but prefer to stew them with onion and celery, with a bit of poultry seasoning, like I was making stuffing. Add rice or fine egg noodles when done. A little butter and/or Better Than Broth helps too. Pennsylvania Soul Food.

Might try them in the Sous Vide to see if they come out more tender.

Ps. I also trim the tops to get rid of the visible veins and squeeze out the blood clots which makes the soup clearer. Straining the broth helps too.

Wish they sold turkey hearts like that!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.