Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I told you to run over and give my BT2 a test drive!!! Probably less then 3 hrs smile

GB1

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I could do that, or fly to Colorado,,,and see them all.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Vigilguy

Have you considered a custom fitted pack by Dan McHale?

Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
We're not going there..at all, no....

Problem is, these last few days,

I've discovered I have a vagina, can't make decisions for nothing, I resemble my wife picking out new shoes...

Thought I wanted the T3, but 600 for a daypack is over the top,

After many P.M.s, (thanks guys) I was going toward the duplex with T2 bag, the downside was weight, almost 7 lbs,not so cool for a guy who really is looking for a daypack with possible 1-2 overnight capabilities. The Duplex frame alone with the grab-it has endless possibilities

Due to the weight of the Duplex T2, I started looking at the bikini with t3 bag, Bikini has good reviews, good venting for the back, lightweight, Win Win.. No bottom access on the T3, but what the hell, Like there really is a perfect pack out there.

High camp bag has no pockets, and I like pockets, if I need to start adding accessory pockets, then weight and money starts adding up...

[bleep] me, I resemble Jeff_0

Suit yourself! When I studied your original post, it sounded like you were looking for a day pack with overnight capabilities, with several custom features and add-ons. Just trying to help.

I am intrigued by the Kifaru frame set-up. Looks like a great idea for hunters who are packing meat out.

If I were a pack maker though, I would be awfully nervous about claiming load carrying abilities up to 200 lbs though for the general public. Kinda like saying that my sleeping bag is good down to -100 degree F, or my tent will stand up in Oklahoma tornados.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 06/02/13.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mchale packs are highly regarded by many, He just has too many options/choices for a simpleton such as myself.(grin)

I doubt I will ever haul a load over 100 lbs, ever, It's just not what I do, the type of hunts I go on.

I'm having a roof put on my house, the shingles have a 50 year warranty, sure they do..I cant carry 200 on my back and I'll be dead in 50 years...

The numbers sound impressive though...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My T2, properly adjusted, is allowing me to train with 60 pounds of sand like it isn't there. Going to bump it up some shortly but don't see a need to carry more than 100 anymore. Think that pack with plain lid runs 5 pounds. Allows me to carry a cross draw holster on factory belt as well which I like a lot.

And they do have a heckuva warranty. If I see a break in the training and scouting schedule I might be able to ship it out to you to test.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't see Kifaru pricing too far out of line for what you get. A Mchale would run 30 to 50% more no?

Last edited by ken999; 06/02/13.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by THE_ELK_REAPER

Kenneth, call me Monday and I'll get you squared away. Looking forward to chatting with you!

Ah, actually we were talking last Monday, We were cut short and You said you would call me back,,

I've been patiently sitting by the phone for the last 144 hours.. whistle

HAHA, yep, I get a lot of phone calls each day and can't keep up sometimes.

Call me now if you wanna. I'm not in the field today, so I'm good anytime.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just said the pack was tested with that much weight, and did not recommend it to anyone. The Kifaru website has the ratings.

I know Kurt from Stone Glacier showed 400lb in his, but I didn't see that and think he was telling people to pack that much. It's more of a "hey, we did this to it in testing, but we rate it at this".

It seems common sense would tell you that 200lbs shouldn't be done by any human.

Have you considered a custom fitted pack by Dan McHale?

Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
We're not going there..at all, no....

Problem is, these last few days,

I've discovered I have a vagina, can't make decisions for nothing, I resemble my wife picking out new shoes...

Thought I wanted the T3, but 600 for a daypack is over the top,

After many P.M.s, (thanks guys) I was going toward the duplex with T2 bag, the downside was weight, almost 7 lbs,not so cool for a guy who really is looking for a daypack with possible 1-2 overnight capabilities. The Duplex frame alone with the grab-it has endless possibilities

Due to the weight of the Duplex T2, I started looking at the bikini with t3 bag, Bikini has good reviews, good venting for the back, lightweight, Win Win.. No bottom access on the T3, but what the hell, Like there really is a perfect pack out there.

High camp bag has no pockets, and I like pockets, if I need to start adding accessory pockets, then weight and money starts adding up...

[bleep] me, I resemble Jeff_0

Suit yourself! When I studied your original post, it sounded like you were looking for a day pack with overnight capabilities, with several custom features and add-ons. Just trying to help.

I am intrigued by the Kifaru frame set-up. Looks like a great idea for hunters who are packing meat out.

If I were a pack maker though, I would be awfully nervous about claiming load carrying abilities up to 200 lbs though for the general public. Kinda like saying that my sleeping bag is good down to -100 degree F, or my tent will stand up in Oklahoma tornados.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by ken999
I don't see Kifaru pricing too far out of line for what you get. A Mchale would run 30 to 50% more no?

[Linked Image]

It really depends on features and fabric. Base McHale packs, if you check out his site, can be below the $600 price tag. My point was is that they are custom made and fitted to each individual's unique body size. And they are incredibly rugged and are built to last a lifetime. I have owned MR Packs, and also Osprey, but there is nothing quite like a pack frame that is built to your body frame and yours alone, based on your measurements.

Where custom boot makers charge big bucks for their boots, Dan's process is a real bargain in that respect. But it is probably overkill for most people and is not for everyone.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 06/02/13.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The critical mass packs are around 7000 cubes and start at $925. Add in $500 worth of UL fabric to get the weight down to 5.25 pounds and a Kifaru is nothing short of a bargain.

Last edited by ken999; 06/04/13.
IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
(sigh...)

Hey Ken--- Check out the link.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/0-SarcUL.htm

Starts at $595.00.

I know what McHale packs cost. I own them. A Merke, a Chasm, and a SCMII, shown above. Two of my packs cost $950 each, due to the my fabric choices, and one of them was $495 (the Merke) which is a wonderful overnight pack, capable of carrying 50 lbs in comfort..

If you want to start a dog fight, I'm not interested.

If you feel that Kifaru packs are a bargain, I am thrilled for you. I think their pack frames look pretty cool.

I just happen to like McHale packs because the custom fit feature and the ability to choose fabrics and options is attractive to me. Is that okay with you?

Last edited by Vigilguy; 06/05/13.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey ken999, I'm losing patience with the McHale website. I'm trying to compare how well I did (by weight) with a custom one-off carbon fiber mold of my son's back, turned into a pack frame. Was that 5.25 lbs explicitly mentioned on that website?

Thx,
David

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sigh....

You linked me to a 3000 cu in pack...lets try to compare apples to apples.

I'm certainly not trying to knock a Mchale pack. I'd love to have one. But they are a LOT more expensive than a Kifaru....and rightly so.

Dave- the weights are listed on the Critical Mass packs....all the way down the page. I find the website clunky myself. How have you been anyways?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The website is Clunky, used to be much Clunklyer, (Thats a word)

Like I said, they may be Fantastic packs, I just don't have the time or Patience, I've looked into them, and always ended asking myself,,Why?

I do appreciate Vigilguys input though...

FWIW,The good news, I ordered a Bikini frame and Duplex Timberline 2 bag, all in Foilage green,

The bad news,,7 week wait for delivery...SOB.....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Congrats on the pack!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be curious to hear about the bikini frame. Should be ideal for what you need. Our hunt is sooner than yours and son ordered the Stone Glacier Solo yesterday. Should have it tomorrow and will be hiking soon thereafter.

Boots, clothes, packs, equipment keeps showing up on the front porch. Dang sheep tags are expensive...

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
son ordered the Stone Glacier Solo yesterday. Should have it tomorrow and will be hiking soon thereafter.

Why so hurtful?

You know I need a hug about now.....Been a very stressful week, picking packs and such...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have nothing but time!! We are at less than two months and counting. If I get any pics soon of rams, will post them up to give you something to think about.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ken999

Dave- the weights are listed on the Critical Mass packs....all the way down the page. I find the website clunky myself. How have you been anyways?

OK, found it, finally after scrolling down a couple of screens' worth of nothing. Thanks again. I'm doing well, with much work being thrown my way. I'm thankful for that. I hope you are doing well too.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Can't complain...glad to hear it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.