24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Got this savage 99 in 300 savage, and it has a .410 barrel with it. Apparently you just screw the 300 barrel off and screw the 410 barrel on? I'ts got beautiful furniture, maybe 98% condition. Looks to never have been fired. serial 237xxx. Jewelled bolt, case colored lever, barrel length 23" from muzzle to receiver.

Anybody know where I can get info on it, date of mfg, is it a special run? approx value, that sort of thing. My other forums suggested ya'll as the guys who knew everything. The story on it is that this guy is cleaning out his father in laws old gunshop, and apparently some judge in dallas ordered it many years ago, but never picked it up, so it sat in the gunshop for years and years waiting on him. I suppose it could have even been some sort of special order gun. [Linked Image]

bigger picture here http://i.imgur.com/jXPCxq4.jpg

I was looking for a shooter, and this was just advertised as a "savage 99 for sale"

Last edited by greyling; 06/07/13.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great find! Too bad about the recoil pad though. A big hit on such a nice package frown

It could have been a cased set. Do you have a factory case for it ? It would hold the parts as in takedown mode. They are fairly common. you might want to letter this one.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are the rear sight (specifically the elevator) and the bolt right?

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/07/13.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good questions. The rear sight looks like the fold-down version that showed up in 1959. Bolt does look jeweled but it's often hard to tell if those are authentic or not.

When I first saw the picture I thought it was a total redo but then I listened to the 'story' behind it and got drawn in...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks reblued to me, guessing it was sent to the gunsmith to have the recoil pad added, bolt jewelled and reblue done. Very nice shooter.

That's one of the earliest 99G's I think we've seen.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice wood! Whadaya think about that??

G
OP Offline
G
no case, no accessories, just the gun and a spare barrel. Recoil pad may not be factory, but at least it was installed correctly. As far as we can tell, the gun was never owned by an individual, so maybe the judge asked the gunsmith to install the pad when it came in? Could you help me out with what "lettering one" means?

I don't know of the bolt and elevator are right, but here is a better picture of them: bolt pics

the rear sight is a little dirty, but it looks like it will all clean off no problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, I'd guess the stock is correct though very probably refinished.

greyling, the jewelled bolt wasn't standard at that time. Might have been special ordered, but that's very rare and after market jewelled bolts are pretty common.

Considering it was reblued, refinished and dates from 1920/1921, I find it hard to believe it sat in a gunsmith shop and was never owned or used. Maybe it was brought in by the judge to be refinished, and he never picked it up when it was done?

Lettering a rifle means that for $25 you can send a request to the Savage historian (John T. Callahan) and he'll look up your rifle and send you what is in the ledgers for it. When it was made, who it was sold to, special features (sometimes), etc. Look in the "Good Misc. Info" thread in this forum and search for Callahan and you'll find his address.

G
OP Offline
G
more pics

link

link to 2 more

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I was looking for a shooter, and this was just advertised as a "savage 99 for sale"

The rifle will make a fine shooter - ya did good - and the story of purchasing the firearm will be great to hand down to the next generation too. Enjoy it !

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is a great piece of wood! There were no factory recoil pads (..until the 375 brush gun). That is also a very faithful reblue, color looks near perfect in your photos.

You've got a perfect shooter there, that's very easy on the eyes!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely.. I'd put a generic buttplate on that beautiful thing and be thrilled to have it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sweet little rifle... and BEAUTIFUL wood !~!~!

Ya did good, Greyling... and welcome to the Forum! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Face lift, tummy tuck and boob job.

Not sayin that is a bad thing. wink

Not a bad lookin ol' gal for 92 years young.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
OP Offline
G
I totally agree with you calhoun. No way it sat that long or looks that good to be 92. And that's fine. I just wanted to check and make sure I didn't have something truly valuable in my hands before I took it out. If it was a true collectable I wanted to pass it on to a collector and keep looking for a shooter. If it's just a pretty shooter, well, I like a pretty shooter. I paid shooter money for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good on you. I don't know that you could find a better shooter than that one. Its got looks and if its like most 99s it will shoot. Too bad that its not really collectable but that makes it more comfortable as a shooter.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.