Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Most important is your son is ok! It might be a good idea to send that case in to the manufacturer with all of the batch/lot/etc. info off of the box, just to let them determine if they might possibly have a production problem. Plus clean and inspect the heck out of the bolt & polish up the chamber.

Just a thunk on the 10-22. When I stabbed a heavy barrel (Green Mountain, I believe.) on my well worn '70s model 10-22 it was a jammomatic, too. It worked fine with the old stock barrel for years & years. I took a patch wrapped, JB paste imbedded brush chucked up in a drill & polished the chamber a bit. This stopped the jamming.

Rimfire Central is a great resource. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php?

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I didn't read every reply, but those I did offered sound advice and possible reasons for this happening. One thing I'll add, is the absolute necessity that everyone shooting needs to wear safety glasses. A $5.00 pair of polycarbonate safety glasses is cheap protection against a blinding accident.

Great advice for us all, no doubt.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had something similar happen a couple months ago with an old (at least 20 yrs) Remington Thunderbolt. Was shooting it in a H&R bolt action. The case ruptured right at the rim-body juncture. Luckily I had my glasses on because it spit hot gas & powder around the bolt and through the cocked indicator. I was shooting with my kids. Glad it was me that capped it off because it would have given them a flinch. (They had glasses on too.)

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I forgot to say in the OP that I had to dig the case out...so the gun didn't extract it on its own.

Here are some questions for which answers may help in dissecting the cause of the ruptured case.

Was the image altered (e.g. photoshopped) before posting? There's no detectable headstamp on the ruptured case shown.

Is there evidence of a firing pin strike on the case? The photos are so blurry on my monitor that it is not possible to detect this.

Did you directly observe the firing of the rifle when the cartridge ruptured, or was the rifle with the ruptured case brought to you after the rupture occurred?

For the case shown in the photos, did the cartridge fire in response to a separate pull of the trigger? Did the rifle fire as the cartridge was being chambered without a separate operation of the trigger?

Did the firing of the problem cartridge cause the bolt to be blown to the rear sufficiently to strip another cartridge from the clip and jam it against the fired case still stuck in the chamber? After the firing of the problem cartridge was the bolt face resting directly against the blown case?

How much of the damage to the fired case shown in the photo occurred as a result of digging the case out of the chamber?

From which shoulder was your boy operating the rifle when the incident occurred? If from the right shoulder, it's difficult to imagine how it happened "right in my boy's face". (The ejection port is on the right side of the action, correct?) Was the rifle being fired from the left shoulder? Was it being fired unshouldered, so the operator was facing the port? The answer may not bear on the direct cause of the rupture, but it will help in visualizing what was going on at the time of the rupture.

--Bob
Gotta say Bob, it's hard not to take offense at some of your questions.

No the pic wasn't blurred intentionally either through photoshop or like programs or just intentionally taking a blurry pic.

Yes the blowup occurred away from my kid's face, but still right there in it.

The next cartridge was stripped off and resting against the offending one.

There was little if any, damage done to the case by prying it out as it didn't take much effort.

Once again, this rifle wasn't hog-dirty, especially on the inside. I've fired much dirtier ones during long range sessions-ones that just got that way during that particular session.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Many years ago I had a similar incident when shooting my Winchester Low Wall .22. Not near as dramatic as yours but vented all the gas in my face. Safety glasses should always be worn whenever you are shooting, not a bad idea for observers either. Start young shoothers out right, see to it that they are equipped with not only safety glasses but ear protection also. I have an excellent source for polycarbonate safety glasses, three pair for less than $10.00 shipped. Those interested can PM me for details.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I was relieved to see that your son wasn't hurt.
+1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've had a few Mach 2's rupture, but never a LR. They always seemed to split lengthwise, I don't recall seeing any rip down by the head of the case.

Either way, I'd keep shooting. Glad your son is ok.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A group of 30-35 of us gather in Yuma 2 or 3 time a week to shoot silhouette and .22 benchrest , we put a LOT of lead downrange. We had 3 of these kabooms last year. One was a Marlin 39A, Federal bulk ammo, clearly fired out of battery, I think he had a little jam of some sort and tried to force it. Very loud report, sprayed bits and chunks on the adjacent shooter, no damage to rifle. Another was with a 10-22, Remington Goldens, out of battery, very loud report, blew the magazine out, no damage done (this is not the first time this has happened with the Remington GB's in a 10-22). Third incident was with my wife's CZ 452, Wolf ammo, happened when she pulled the trigger on a round completely IN battery, very loud report, lots of smoke from the receiver, bullet struck about 10" high at 50 yards. Double charge for sure.

These things happen, documented frequently over on Rimfirecentral.com. All the more reason for everyone on the firing line to be wearing eye protection.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EE-
I do apologize for a series of poorly phrased questions. I really, really intended no offense. It's apparent that I missed a key sentence in your second post of the thread. I'll keep working on my reading skills.

It's good to know that the malfunction did not harm your boy, and that he took it in stride.

--Bob

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BullShooter
EE-
I do apologize for a series of poorly phrased questions. I really, really intended no offense. It's apparent that I missed a key sentence in your second post of the thread. I'll keep working on my reading skills.

It's good to know that the malfunction did not harm your boy, and that he took it in stride.

--Bob

No problem.

Looking at the case as I sit here...the "explosion" seems to have lifted the rim itself (maybe "lifted" isn't a good word, blown back?) off of the case wall, almost severing it save for I'd guess less than a third of the case. There are about three shears that stayed attached to the rim.

Federal Auto Match

1IX421

"Target Grade Performance" "Ideal for semi-autos"

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
A group of 30-35 of us gather in Yuma 2 or 3 time a week to shoot silhouette and .22 benchrest , we put a LOT of lead downrange. We had 3 of these kabooms last year. One was a Marlin 39A, Federal bulk ammo, clearly fired out of battery, I think he had a little jam of some sort and tried to force it. Very loud report, sprayed bits and chunks on the adjacent shooter, no damage to rifle. Another was with a 10-22, Remington Goldens, out of battery, very loud report, blew the magazine out, no damage done (this is not the first time this has happened with the Remington GB's in a 10-22). Third incident was with my wife's CZ 452, Wolf ammo, happened when she pulled the trigger on a round completely IN battery, very loud report, lots of smoke from the receiver, bullet struck about 10" high at 50 yards. Double charge for sure.

These things happen, documented frequently over on Rimfirecentral.com. All the more reason for everyone on the firing line to be wearing eye protection.
This sounded more like an ultra-light charge. I've heard 22's sound like this before. Usually it comes from really old ammo and though I've got some that qualifies as fairly old, I don't have any as old as the ones I'm talking about. They were old stuff of my Grandpa's that I shot in my youth. It sounded akin to a squib load with no powder charge in a centerfire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid my granddad gave me his old Marlin Lever Action 22, it had the full length octagon barrel. Every now and then a casing would hang up in the firing chamber, took it to a gunsmith in Bremerton and he said it was safe to shoot, but only if we used standard velocity long rifle ammo. It apparently had two problems my granddad had loaned the gun to someone in the family, and they had shot a bunch of 22 shorts through the gun causing severe lead build up and then shot 22 LR through the gun and when they tried remove a hung up casing they damaged the ejector. At the time the gunsmith said that a replacement ejector was not available from Marlin.

Don't know what happened to that rifle as my brother traded it off for something while I was off doing my duty in the US Navy fifty years ago.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank God your son is ok. I shudder at the thought!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I coach .22 rifle for our county's 4H program and we fire about 15,000 rounds per year. We usually have at least one or two of these kinds of case ruptures every year.
A good reminder for those kids, and their parents, to always wear safety glasses when shooting.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 06/10/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dang bro, glad he is ok

Ive had some strange stuff happen with .22s before, but never like that

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 62 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.